SluSignGuy

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

From a Ross Dellenger tweet, "

NEWS: The IRS says that non-profit NIL collectives offering tax deductions could be illegal. In a memo today, IRS Chief Counsel says donations made to 501(c)(3) collectives “are not tax exempt” because their benefits are not incidental to exempt purposes.

That seems a bit of a dagger to the heart for private donors. However, business donors can likely consider the player as a promotional or endorsement expense, therefore, a legit cost which reduces their taxable income. Any CPA’s care to comment? 

17 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

From a Ross Dellenger tweet, "

NEWS: The IRS says that non-profit NIL collectives offering tax deductions could be illegal. In a memo today, IRS Chief Counsel says donations made to 501(c)(3) collectives “are not tax exempt” because their benefits are not incidental to exempt purposes.

The inevitable outcome. These collectives setting up as 501c3s were silly if they thought this wouldn’t happen. 

The appropriate status is most likely c7 which is what country clubs and other social clubs are organized as. You still have the ability to sell “sponsorships” which would allow at least a business write off as well.

Instead they got greedy and opened their donors up to an IRS audit. Congrats! 

1 minute ago, JMM28 said:

The inevitable outcome. These collectives setting up as 501c3s were silly if they thought this wouldn’t happen. 

The appropriate status is most likely c7 which is what country clubs and other social clubs are organized as. You still have the ability to sell “sponsorships” which would allow at least a business write off as well.

I get the idea that players should share in the revenue they help to create but this Wild West NIL thing is just not a good idea.  I fault the NCAA and colleges for being greedy and understanding that they should have at least tried doing the right thing.  If they had this situation would not have happened

53 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The IRS will disallow it, some collective or group of collectives will fight it.  The whole issue of tax deductibility for these is heading to court eventually, how it ends up remains to be seen, but I’ll bet on the IRS. I get that a lot of these collectives have their own lawyers who think otherwise, maybe they will win in court, who knows.

4 hours ago, JMM28 said:

That seems reasonable.

The other thing that struck me is the report saying there are about 200 collectives, but that "dozens" (other places have said about 80) are set up as 501(c)(3) organizations. So it's less than half that will actually be impacted. The Billiken Victory Fund is one of them, though, per their own website.

These never felt right with 501(c)(3) status. The charitable work was off to the side, and how much of that part have we actually seen? There's a distinction to me between being a non-profit and partnering with one or more non-profits.

• 3 weeks later...