GDT: SIUE

Bills By 40

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think the WORST part is… Perkins played like old Perkins, so can’t even hang the excuse of man we need Perkins. We lost to siue full fouking strength. 

Worst loss in SLU history. Somebody prove me wrong. Given expectations, opponent, etc. 

A few observations from last night

1. both Franco and Jake try to rebound and catch passes one-handed.  Doesn't work against strong and aggressive teams

2. first 10 minutes of the game were ugly for both teams.  We know the last 10 minutes were terrible for us.  We can't play just half the game and expect to win. 

3. It was a pretty good crowd.  We can't keep fumbling chances to build our fandom.

4. CF is continually going bonkers on the sideline.   Sometimes his angst is targeted at refs, sometimes the players. He was nearly at the center jump circle multiple times. Does his behavior promote cool-heads at crunch-time?  I doubt it.

5.  Barone made $190K in 2021 as the HC at SIUE according to government salary sites.  We know what CF makes.  I'm not paying CF's salary, but someone is getting a poor return on their investment. 

6. From all outward appearances,  SLU has provided CF everything he needs to succeed.  There is never a good time to move on.  I'm in the camp of win the conference tournament or move on.  Spoonhaur got us to tournament twice with a fraction of the support that CF gets from SLU Admin.  We can do it again with the right coach in place.

12 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Worst loss in SLU history. Somebody prove me wrong. Given expectations, opponent, etc. 

LMU only cause that slu team was actually legit, not preseason legit. 

30 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I think the WORST part is… Perkins played like old Perkins, so can’t even hang the excuse of man we need Perkins. We lost to siue full fouking strength. 

It was like Martz with Faulk against New England. You have the best player on your roster and you don’t use him ?!?

2 hours ago, NextYearBill said:

There've been worse. For instance, coming off back-to-back tournament appearances with first round wins, multi-month Top 25 rankings, and the A10 Coach of the Year, the loss to Texas A&M Corpus Christi (a worse opponent than SIUE) was a rude awakening for the dumpster fire we were in for.

But given the level of talent on this team, this is definitely one of the worst.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:00 PM, laker119 said:

Someone has posted about this before but lots of his misses this year have been wayyy off

Being an altacocker, I was sleepy & went to bed up 16.  I woke up to have the Post Disgrace inform me we had lost.  Now watching MU take apart UI, I know who I want for my next coach. They’re out there.  🤔

With 15 sec left , we were down 1 and SIU-e had the ball...we needed to foul.  We brought in Pickett and he took the foul and was out of the game. Wouldn't it have been better to not bring in Pickett at 15 sec ...let someone else foul SIU-e and then while SIU-e is shooting FTs with 12 secs left ...then bring in Pickett , one of our best foul shooters and let him drive to the basket for either 2pts or 2 FTs or a basket and a foul shot.

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

With 15 sec left , we were down 1 and SIU-e had the ball...we needed to foul.  We brought in Pickett and he took the foul and was out of the game. Wouldn't it have been better to not bring in Pickett at 15 sec ...let someone else foul SIU-e and then while SIU-e is shooting FTs with 12 secs left ...then bring in Pickett , one of our best foul shooters and let him drive to the basket for either 2pts or 2 FTs or a basket and a foul shot.

Yep. Just one of many head-scratchers in that game.

11 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Yep. Just one of many head-scratchers in that game.

OK, getting in late here…I’ve seen this question posed by at least 10 MBM’s, with no answer:

WHY DID WE/COACH/YURI STOP RUNNING PLAYS FOR PERKINS IN THE LAST 10 MINUTES OF THE GAME?

Perkins was on fire!  Hot as a $2 pistol.  And he was utterly/completely ignored while Yuri drove consistently into the heart and soul of the SIU-E line up.  Does anyone have a technical or strategical position defending this strategy?  I’m simply dumbfounded…without Perkins contribution we lose the game by double digits…

21 hours ago, Dr Bird said:

A few observations from last night

1. both Franco and Jake try to rebound and catch passes one-handed.  Doesn't work against strong and aggressive teams

2. first 10 minutes of the game were ugly for both teams.  We know the last 10 minutes were terrible for us.  We can't play just half the game and expect to win. 

3. It was a pretty good crowd.  We can't keep fumbling chances to build our fandom.

4. CF is continually going bonkers on the sideline.   Sometimes his angst is targeted at refs, sometimes the players. He was nearly at the center jump circle multiple times. Does his behavior promote cool-heads at crunch-time?  I doubt it.

5.  Barone made $190K in 2021 as the HC at SIUE according to government salary sites.  We know what CF makes.  I'm not paying CF's salary, but someone is getting a poor return on their investment. 

6. From all outward appearances,  SLU has provided CF everything he needs to succeed.  There is never a good time to move on.  I'm in the camp of win the conference tournament or move on.  Spoonhaur got us to tournament twice with a fraction of the support that CF gets from SLU Admin.  We can do it again with the right coach in place.

I watched Mizzou pummel Illinois last night-I know this will open me for scores of Billiken hate mail. What a dramatic difference between the way Gates manages his players and Ford’s method.

Gates’s players are riveted on him during a time out—and they are smiling.

Mizzou players don’t rush into the locker room at halftime: they gather in a circle to listen to the coach for a few minutes, and then walk off the court.

I know it’s early in Gates’ career,to annoy him, but I respect the way he manages and instructs his players.

54 minutes ago, Marlow said:

I watched Mizzou pummel Illinois last night-I know this will open me for scores of Billiken hate mail. What a dramatic difference between the way Gates manages his players and Ford’s method.

Mizzou players don’t rush into the locker room at halftime: they gather in a circle to listen to the coach for a few minutes, and then walk off the court.

I know it’s early in Gates’ career,to annoy him, but I respect the way he manages and instructs his players.

And he did so with little talent.  That mizzou team if not very good, what they lack for skill they make up with effort.

1 hour ago, Marlow said:

Must be nice. 

10 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

That game told you more about Illinois being overrated than how good Missouri actually is.

Illinois was horrible, but doesn’t take away the fact mizzou hustled, and also couldn’t miss 

5 hours ago, AGB91 said:

That game told you more about Illinois being overrated than how good Missouri actually is.

Illinois is definitely not a top 25 team but they aren't horrible.

Honestly curious, when's the last time SLU throttled a top 50 team on a neutral court by 20+?? Hell, when is the last time SLU beat a top 100 team by 20+ on a neutral court? We did have that big 24 point win against a potent Tulane squad (who finished the year 12-18) in Phoenix a few years back...

4 hours ago, Marlow said:

So what happens when Cal fires an awful Mark Fox and Dennis Gates decides he wants to go back to his Alma Mater? 

This is what sucks about the Bills needing to find a new coach. If they hit on a hot shot assistant he might just bolt to a P5 school after a nice run with the Bills.

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

So what happens when Cal fires an awful Mark Fox and Dennis Gates decides he wants to go back to his Alma Mater? 

This is what sucks about the Bills needing to find a new coach. If they hit on a hot shot assistant he might just bolt to a P5 school after a nice run with the Bills.

I will take losing a coach to a P5 school for the success that precedes that move. 

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

I’m okay with that.  I’d take a nice sweet 16/elite 8 run.  

dlarry likes this