Coaching Carousel

BLIKNS

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Seems kinda quick considering they finished 7th in conference. Nonetheless, it's good to see A10 programs holding their coaches and themselves to a high standard.

Edit: I suppose the 7th place A10 finish was after an awful 4-8 non-con run.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:10 PM, mrjoelabs said:

I think theres a better chance Kim English heads there from the A10 then Ford. Or Corey off of our staff. Mizzou is going to try to go cheap on this hire. They are paying a boatload to make Martin leave. 

Mizzou is going to be spending a crazy amount on the next hire.  If they were worried about money, they could have kept Martin for one more year to avoid the crazy buyout. 

They cant go cheap or young. They cant risk hiring an unproven coach considering they are coming off of 3 bad hires in a row. 

One route they could take is getting an older coach(Sampson)to turn them around, and then hire a young coach(kimmie) in a few years. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Mizzou is going to be spending a crazy amount on the next hire.  If they were worried about money, they could have kept Martin for one more year to avoid the crazy buyout. 

They cant go cheap or young. They cant risk hiring an unproven coach considering they are coming off of 3 bad hires in a row. 

One route they could take is getting an older coach(Sampson)to turn them around, and then hire a young coach(kimmie) in a few years. 

This is going to be a tough one for them. Maybe they can convince Steve Alford to come back to the state of Missouri? It will probably be the Murray State coach, if he does not end up at Louisville.

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

If Missouri doesn’t care about a coach’s rep for sleaziness, they’ve got a pool of successful coaches to pick from; Sean Miller, Rick Pitino, Wade just name a few. I don’t believe Pitino would stay at Iona if a P5 came calling. 
As for A10 coaches who might be considered for a P5 job, I’d say it’s Rhodes, Grant, English, Schmidt, and Travis.

I think P5 followers will find more and more experienced coaches odd in the coming years.  The mid major ranks are starting to fill up with the guys who were fired from P5 jobs.  They're finding out that making 2 million a year working at programs where they are not on the hot seat every year is a pretty good deal.

For what it’s worth, I do find Anthony Grant to be odd. However, I don’t think the decision to stay at Dayton over Florida itself would be odd. Anthony Grant has coached in the SEC, he knows how ruthless ($) recruiting can be in that conference. He just saw several highly-respected coaches who known for being high character guys in Cuonzo Martin and Frank Martin get let go because they couldn’t keep up in recruiting. His hair is already going grey, but being expected to routinely beat Calipari, Pearl, Oats, Barnes and Musselman for recruits will age Grant even quicker.

Dayton is a pretty cushy job. Plenty of resources with very manageable expectations. He’s shown he can get top recruiting classes in the A10 and as long as Grant is there Dayton will be expected to finish near the top of the conference. Plus it’s his alma mater. I wouldn’t leave if I were him.

49 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

plus anthony has had his turn at the pressures of a power 5 conference already.    maybe he has decided, he is being treated well at Dayton and doesnt want to go through all that again no matter how much more money he would make.

Coaching Changes said Mike Anderson to Tulsa was a done deal. One hour later Mike Anderson puts out a statement that he’s staying at St. John’s. The actual correct information is that Anderson wasn’t a serious candidate at Tulsa from Tulsa’s point of view. 

https://twitter.com/coachingchanges/status/1503748539880456199?s=21

https://twitter.com/stjohnsbball/status/1503774014799556610?s=21

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

plus anthony has had his turn at the pressures of a power 5 conference already.    maybe he has decided, he is being treated well at Dayton and doesnt want to go through all that again no matter how much more money he would make.

Lesson here for Travis. I had forgotten that Ford got OKSt into the dance 6 times in 8 years at OKSt. That’s a pretty solid record, yet he still got axed. Welcome to the big time where being good just ain’t good enough. 

I cannot fathom Travis wants to coach at a school where Football is the king. He saw that movie at OSU. Most of his has been at Basketball first schools Truly the only program I could see him bouncing for is Kentucky. I don't think he cares much about an incremental move like a Big East or AAC School. Perhaps an east coast basketball heavy ACC school but I'd can't see it.

rgbilliken likes this

On 3/14/2022 at 2:06 PM, wgstl said:

There is no way Sampson leaves Houston for Mizzou.  Houston already spends more on their basketball program than Mizzou and they are headed to the Big 12.  They will pay more that Mizzou can afford to keep Sampson.

Schasz likes this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

There is no way Sampson leaves Houston for Mizzou.  Houston already spends more on their basketball program than Mizzou and they are headed to the Big 12.  They will pay more that Mizzou can afford to keep Sampson.

Maybe, I used Sampson as an example of a older coach who you know will do a good job.