GDT: vs La Salle

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, CBFan said:

According to ESPN 4600.

4100 was the regular season low against Iona.

COVID, opponent, and 2 losses is probably the reason but the attendance has been down this season.

Remember that this was a rescheduled game.  I think that even fewer of the corporate seat showed up than normal given that it wasn't on the original calendar.

11 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

are you on drugs???? are you actually denying all the clamor about not allowing public gatherings because they would be super spreader events???? my point, and maybe it is too complex for you, is that there is a large segment of people who are not attending games or other public events out of fear....i can't believe you are disputing this....Oh, and for the record, where did I say people were dying at games???? what I said is they were being told by many that it was dangerous to their health....

You are correct there is a portion of the population not going to think like basketball games out of fear.  But there is also a portion not going because they have to have the jab or a test.  

thetorch likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Thank you for this Public Service Announcement.  Can you post a link to the memo 'society' sent out that attending basketball games at Chaifetz put my life in danger. I missed it or I wasn't on the distribution list. 

Are you talking about getting hit by a car crossing Compton after the game?  Or maybe getting mugged on Locust if I park up there?  Or is it getting carjacked in the Private Lot?  Getting punched by a disgruntled Dayton player or coach?

I have been to all but 2 games this season and didn't realize my life was in danger.  I guess I will now have to skip the final two games.  Why tempt fate?

Again, please post the link.  I NEED TO KNOW!!  Many, many thanks for your concern.

steve posted that he didnt attend games due to the rise in covid cases, maybe he could elaborate for you. slu says it is dangerous enough to ban certain groups and to mandate mask wearing. ( of course that is not enforced)

1 hour ago, jonny karate said:

I agree. Heard some folks did not even know there was a game until yesterday.

Take a look at the front page of this website.  By and for serious Billikens fans.  Guess what?  It didn't have the game on the schedule for last night.

7 minutes ago, bauman said:

Take a look at the front page of this website.  By and for serious Billikens fans.  Guess what?  It didn't have the game on the schedule for last night.

There is an issue with the SLU RSS feed that gets synced to calendars and external sites. When we have games added, it isn’t adding to the existing synced calendars. Have noticed this on my phone and google calendar a few times this year. 

1 minute ago, johnbj14 said:

There is an issue with the SLU RSS feed that gets synced to calendars and external sites. When we have games added, it isn’t adding to the existing synced calendars. Have noticed this on my phone and google calendar a few times this year. 

@bauman's critique of the front page schedule is very fair. I am very bad at keeping it updated and accurate. It is not the SLU RSS feed affecting that.

3 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

@bauman's critique of the front page schedule is very fair. I am very bad at keeping it updated and accurate. It is not the SLU RSS feed affecting that.

Signguy, thanks for all you do with this site. My point was not to criticize you but rather to point out reasons why attendance might have been lower than hoped.

However, if you are still teaching at SLU or know someone who is teaching a sports mgt class, keeping this calendar and game scores up to date might be an excellent assignment for a student.

drkelsey55 likes this

14 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

-as someone not on social media I like what you added to the site

-I don't rely on this site for a schedule, pretty simple to go here https://slubillikens.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

57 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

are you on drugs???? are you actually denying all the clamor about not allowing public gatherings because they would be super spreader events???? my point, and maybe it is too complex for you, is that there is a large segment of people who are not attending games or other public events out of fear....i can't believe you are disputing this....Oh, and for the record, where did I say people were dying at games???? what I said is they were being told by many that it was dangerous to their health....

I asked you nice for a copy of this Society Public Service Announcement that attending games at Chaifetz puts my life in danger.  I guess you really don't have it, right?   Or don't you like helping out MBM's?

I'm trying to help you out here.  Your creditability is waning.  Perhaps choking on a Chaifetz hot dog is what you are stating is a hazard?  Or maybe stumbling on the steps at Chaifetz and falling?  

I guess I will keep going to the games.  But thanks for the heads up.  I will definitely be on the lookout for the Grim Reaper when I am at the game.  I hope he/she/it isn't in the restrooms.  

22 minutes ago, bauman said:

Signguy, thanks for all you do with this site. My point was not to criticize you but rather to point out reasons why attendance might have been lower than hoped.

Completely understand.  As I tell me students...if something is not working (in the class), yell at me. I won't get offended and would rather have the problem fixed.

For instance, my mother even makes comments about the front page schedule ;) 

31 minutes ago, Slowry said:

You are correct there is a portion of the population not going to think like basketball games out of fear.  But there is also a portion not going because they have to have the jab or a test.  

I really find it fascinating how many opinions there are on what is causing reduced attendance. My guess is that each group sees something which is a valuable contributor from their experience. I have avoided games because of the pandemic, exclusively.  However, for example, some people have noted that some fans now have been away for a year or two, so basketball is out of sight and out of mind. That seems crazy from my perspective, but it is probably pretty reasonable for a retired person to take up a new hobby, and never come back. We will see in time.

dennis_w and billiken_roy like this

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I asked you nice for a copy of this Society Public Service Announcement that attending games at Chaifetz puts my life in danger.  I guess you really don't have it, right?   Or don't you like helping out MBM's?

I'm trying to help you out here.  Your creditability is waning.  Perhaps choking on a Chaifetz hot dog is what you are stating is a hazard?  Or maybe stumbling on the steps at Chaifetz and falling?  

I guess I will keep going to the games.  But thanks for the heads up.  I will definitely be on the lookout for the Grim Reaper when I am at the game.  I hope he/she/it isn't in the restrooms.  

slu management tells you it is dangerous with their mandates, i dont think they actually believe but many people do, with talk of super spreader, cant go to school without masks etc. that is psa. many believe and stay away

Just now, AnkielBreakers said:

I really find it fascinating how many opinions there are on what is causing reduced attendance. My guess is that each group sees something which is a valuable contributor from their experience. I have avoided games because of the pandemic, exclusively.  However, for example, some people have noted that some fans now have been away for a year or two, so basketball is out of sight and out of mind. That seems crazy from my perspective, but it is probably pretty reasonable for a retired person to take up a new hobby, and never come back. We will see in time.

i am a Shriner on the east side and in line to be the Potentate in 2025.   our attendance at events and our membership has fallen off and when us leaders discuss why with those that have become absent, they typically remark something to the effect it has become easy to just stay home and lay around and cant get motivated to make the effort any longer.   nothing about being afraid of the virus (we ask) just a loss of interest more or less.  

I am looking at this discussion, everyone think they have the answer to the attendance problem. The truth is that everyone has his/her own different reason for going or not going to the games and that is the way it is. The second truth is that Chaifetz management has not found out the way, at least so far, to sell more tickets. The thrird, let's call this a belief of mine, is that Chaifetz is losing money.

What this means is that the following two options will come to pass sometime, not yet, and not necessarily in the order I provide. The University will have to cover the losses incurred by the Chaifetz in order to keep it in operation. If they cannot find a suitable source of income other than the endowment to divert for this purpose, then (or perhaps before, the order of these "solutions" is interchangeable), the second option will happen. The Chaifetz will have to cut costs to  the bone. That means an empty arena with only absolutely necessary personnel allowed in, minimal lighting, and facilities, plus a team capable of negotiating TV and radio broadcasting contracts with a view of covering expenses. Everything else goes.

From my point of view, if they do not fix the Chaifetz revenue stream to a self sustaining level, this is what we can look forward to.

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I think you may have been on the mark with the “danger of getting whupped by an angry Dayton fan” comment. Some of their tweets regarding hunting for Billiken fans at the A10 tournament were quite aggressive. Though I’ll be the only guy wearing Billiken apparel in my group, all my brothers and their friends (mostly UVA/Mason folk) should be impressive enough as a pack to make any raging Flyers think twice before singling me out for confrontation.  😇. 😉

34 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

I think you may have been on the mark with the “danger of getting whupped by an angry Dayton fan” comment. Some of their tweets regarding hunting for Billiken fans at the A10 tournament were quite aggressive. Though I’ll be the only guy wearing Billiken apparel in my group, all my brothers and their friends (mostly UVA/Mason folk) should be impressive enough as a pack to make any raging Flyers think twice before singling me out for confrontation.  😇. 😉

Those sweater vests would be easy to pull over their heads and tie their arms up.  You should be good.

Gremio14 likes this

Wouldn’t the most likely reason for lower attendance be a combination of everything that is going on?

Wednesday night game against a bad opponent, 2 game losing streak, winter storm warming, avoiding large gatherings because of covid, angry at the mask mandate/jab requirement/negative test. 

I’m probably way off. 

AGB91, billikenfan05 and A10Ref like this

By the way you all continue to mark me a troll, but I have been inside the gym for nearly every home game this season, including last night. Student attendance was pitiful. But maybe they lost interest after packing the place Friday and seeing another ford disaster.

I keep showing up I guess I like a train wreck.   Do you all really think McKillop won't eat ford up and spit home out? Come on.

I love this team and will always support the players. But this coach is an absolute joke. And I am not a "Troll" for telling the truth. I don't ever say the team sucks, dog the players or anything like that. I only make accurate criticisms. In the first Dayton game the players were bad....but they bounced back.  And I make accurate praise as well.

For example, I love Fred Thatch and I know we all do. He is unbelievable right now. And I wish we saw more of Hargove even if it meant less of Jimmerson. And we all know Nesbitt is close to becoming a consistent legit player.  But all this has to happen with bad leadership...

I think I haven't been in attendance for a total of 3 home games this year, 1 of which I had a christmas party and the other 2 I had to coach my team... So yea, I really hate SLU and I am a big troll.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Wouldn’t the most likely reason for lower attendance be a combination of everything that is going on?

Wednesday night game against a bad opponent, 2 game losing streak, winter storm warming, avoiding large gatherings because of covid, angry at the mask mandate/jab requirement/negative test. 

I’m probably way off. 

Of course that’s the answer, but we have a group that is in denial about the effects of the ridiculous Covid polices on attendance.. even though they now know  it, their self pride won’t allow them to admit it...