BBQ Discussion (formerly Welcome to SLU KC Hankton!)

I agree with Roy and 28 - red shirting has no benefit for the team anymore.  All these players are simply  doing is graduating early and then going some place else after you have developed them.  No red shirting and let me learn on the pines if necessary.  At least you will get 3 years of playing out of him or else he will see the light and transfer after his soph year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/1/2018 at 8:48 AM, Pistol said:

MaxPreps stats are incomplete and unreliable. I'll dig for more reliable stats this morning and update this post if I can find better numbers.

Yep, MaxPreps stats were inaccurate....from the official SLU posting today:

“Last season, he averaged a double-double with 16.0 ppg and 12.0 rpg. Additionally, he averaged 5.0 apg, 2.0 spg and 2.0 bpg. Hankton played for Team United AAU on the Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) circuit.”

7 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Yep, MaxPreps stats were inaccurate....from the official SLU posting today:

“Last season, he averaged a double-double with 16.0 ppg and 12.0 rpg. Additionally, he averaged 5.0 apg, 2.0 spg and 2.0 bpg. Hankton played for Team United AAU on the Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) circuit.”

As expected, better than MaxPreps showed. He's a stat sheet stuffer. I like it.

8 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Might as well post some video:

Glad you did thank you Pistol.

Love having another shooter and if he can rebound like he did in high school then that is icing on the cake.

14 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

On every shot, his shoulders were squared to the basket and he had a quick release.  Someone taught him well.

From the highlights, this kid can play. Surprised he was still available this late. Would have thought some Southern mid-major would have grabbed him. 

A couple thoughts after watching the highlights video:

Obvious 3 pt range.  I don't care if this is a highlight video, you have to do "it" to have something to put on your highlight video.

Able to shoot the 3 from all points on the floor

Very athletic.  If he is our new JJ then he has a couple of traits JJ did not have - more athletic and can use his right hand.

Like most highlight video, it does not show any defense so that is still up in the air, but the steal and block averages hint that he is at the very least average to above.

Looks like a great late find.  I wonder who found and recruited him?

3 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

From the highlights, this kid can play. Surprised he was still available this late. Would have thought some Southern mid-major would have grabbed him. 

Quote from SLU press release ..... "Hankton, a 6-foot-8 forward, prepped at United Faith Christian Academy in Charlotte where he was a 1A North Carolina Independent Schools' All-State selection. Last season, he averaged a double-double with 16.0 ppg and 12.0 rpg. Additionally, he averaged 5.0 apg, 2.0 spg and 2.0 bpg. Hankton played for Team United AAU on the Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) circuit".

Played 1A, usually inferior competition.  Must have played limited minutes on his AAU team.  All this equals limited exposure in all likelihood.  Hoping he can step up with the obvious huge jump in competition. 

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Quote from SLU press release ..... "Hankton, a 6-foot-8 forward, prepped at United Faith Christian Academy in Charlotte where he was a 1A North Carolina Independent Schools' All-State selection. Last season, he averaged a double-double with 16.0 ppg and 12.0 rpg. Additionally, he averaged 5.0 apg, 2.0 spg and 2.0 bpg. Hankton played for Team United AAU on the Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) circuit".

Played 1A, usually inferior competition.  Must have played limited minutes on his AAU team.  All this equals limited exposure in all likelihood.  Hoping he can step up with the obvious huge jump in competition. 

Looking at his stats and highlights, this kid is a flat-out BALLER!

The Rush brothers played in a lower class in Missouri high school basketball and so did Jahidi White,  Loren Woods, and Chris Carrawell.  That did not stop them from being very good college players. 

15 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

I'm not so sure about that. Hankton's team included four D-I players in the senior class: Rafael Jenkins (VMI), Nate Springs (Ohio), and Jaylen Sims (UNC-Wilmington) were the other three. They have another player going to a D-III school (Brett Swilling, Roanoke College). They have another guy who's unsigned (Malcolm Wade) and it's not clear what level he'll play at yet. They have numerous underclassmen being recruited, as well. The team that bounced them in the final four in the state tournament had a Duke signee (Joey Baker), a Pitt signee (Audiese Toney), and a top-60 2019 player (Greg Gantt). The team they beat in the quarterfinals had two NC State signees (Ian Steere, Immanuel Bates).

So for being the weakest level of HS competition in NC, that's sure a lot of college talent he played with and against.

VeniceMenace likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

He wears Air Jordan's number and he's from NC, so he's got that going for him. Knollmeyer video was a blast from the past.

It's funny you say that. I saw it and started wondering if kids these days are wearing 23 for Jordan or for Lebron. Most of these kids grew up watching Lebron and are probably pulling for him in the whole "Lebron vs. MJ" debate. Just something I was thinking about while realizing how old I am...

Pretty excited about KC. I may have missed these vidoes the first go around, but the kid has some talent to go with that height. 6'8 kid who can stroke it is useful!

-I caution myself and others that it was on a highlight tape, but his release did not look slow at all as i thought I saw someone post, there were a couple of times where he had time and took it but mostly a very nice shot, finished with both hands around the rim, showed mid-range and floaters, did a fade-away and did not throw over the backboard as we have seen,  and a great thing for me to see is that he didn't showboat, will be interesting to see if he can earn some minutes and if so what he does with them, could be a really nice late find, I hope so

-KC, enjoy Being a Billiken

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

I'm not so sure about that. Hankton's team included four D-I players in the senior class: Rafael Jenkins (VMI), Nate Springs (Ohio), and Jaylen Sims (UNC-Wilmington) were the other three. They have another player going to a D-III school (Brett Swilling, Roanoke College). They have another guy who's unsigned (Malcolm Wade) and it's not clear what level he'll play at yet. They have numerous underclassmen being recruited, as well. The team that bounced them in the final four in the state tournament had a Duke signee (Joey Baker), a Pitt signee (Audiese Toney), and a top-60 2019 player (Greg Gantt). The team they beat in the quarterfinals had two NC State signees (Ian Steere, Immanuel Bates).

So for being the weakest level of HS competition in NC, that's sure a lot of college talent he played with and against.

I talked to a guy that works for me who lives in NC. He played high school and college basketball there. He said there are a lot of these little Christian schools with good teams. They don't move private schools up a level or two for the state tournament like they do here and in Illinois. I think John Wall played 1a or 2a.

I don't care if KC was playing against the Washington Generals, he still had to have the ability to do what is shown on the video.  If he is capable of doing all the things we watched then I am glad to have him as a Billiken and commend TF and whatever AC found KCH in NC.  Nice to see a 6'8" player whose highlights show much more than a series of dunks.  He looks like a 6'8" Wing with good mid--out to 3 pt range, with superior athletic ability.  Who have we had that fits that description in the past 50 years.?  The player he most reminds me of related to SLU, is Craig Upchurch.

While playing time for the Wing spot will be tough this year with Bess and possibly Wiley getting most of the time, I think we will need KC's skills the following year after Bess and Wiley are gone.

HenryB likes this