BBQ Discussion (formerly Welcome to SLU KC Hankton!)

1 hour ago, slusam said:

I talked to a guy that works for me who lives in NC. He played high school and college basketball there. He said there are a lot of these little Christian schools with good teams. They don't move private schools up a level or two for the state tournament like they do here and in Illinois. I think John Wall played 1a or 2a.

They actually have separate state tournaments for private and public, as well as separate governing bodies: NCHSAA for public, NCISAA for private/independent/religious. Public goes from 1A-4A and private from 1A-3A. I don't know what the cutoffs are between levels, but when you look at state private HS basketball rankings, there's a pretty good mix between the three levels and it isn't just the biggest schools that are good. The enrollment at Hankton's HS is 240; the school that beat them in the tournament, Trinity, is under 400.

AGB91 likes this

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Pistol said:

They actually have separate state tournaments for private and public, as well as separate governing bodies: NCHSAA for public, NCISAA for private/independent/religious. Public goes from 1A-4A and private from 1A-3A. I don't know what the cutoffs are between levels, but when you look at state private HS basketball rankings, there's a pretty good mix between the three levels and it isn't just the biggest schools that are good. The enrollment at Hankton's HS is 240; the school that beat them in the tournament, Trinity, is under 400.

Maybe that is what he was trying to tell me.

There are actually two distinct types, eastern north carolina is more of a tomato base and western north carolina is more of a vinegar (usually apple cider vinegar). Charlotte has a bunch of good restaurants with both types. They also chop instead of shred, with the west being a more coarse chop. 

Best bet for him his to give him a pellet smoker and ship in whichever of his favorite mac's speed shop sauces are.

5 hours ago, hoppybeer said:

There are actually two distinct types, eastern north carolina is more of a tomato base and western north carolina is more of a vinegar (usually apple cider vinegar). Charlotte has a bunch of good restaurants with both types. They also chop instead of shred, with the west being a more coarse chop. 

Best bet for him his to give him a pellet smoker and ship in whichever of his favorite mac's speed shop sauces are.

First I agree with you that the vinegar based barbeque is distinct and quite wonderful.  But I found it in Eastern Carolina; Parker, Bills and Cherry's in Wilson NC, Lancasters in Mooresville NC, Carolina BBQ in Statesville, on the west side.  For me, there is nothing better than this vinegar based BBQ, wherever you find it.

I have a colleague from Charlotte NC who has relocated here.  He built himself a pit in his expansive backyard and annually has a pulled pork BBQ, using the vinegar sauce.   Basically he cuts the carcass open and he digs in with both hands pulling out the meat.

31 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

First I agree with you that the vinegar based barbeque is distinct and quite wonderful.  But I found it in Eastern Carolina; Parker and Cherry's in Wilson NC, Lancasters in Mooresville NC, Carolina BBQ in Statesville, etc.  I never found the vinegar based in western NC, but most of my travels were in the eastern half.  For me, there is nothing better than this vinegar based BBQ, wherever you find it.

I have a colleague from Charlotte NC who has relocated here.  He built himself a pit in his expansive backyard and annually has a pulled pork BBQ, using the vinegar sauce.   Basically he cuts the carcass open and he digs in with both hands pulling out the meat.

You'll get it here:

https://www.12bones.com/locations/

This is my favorite, only serves during the lunch hours. 

5 hours ago, bauman said:

I don't care if KC was playing against the Washington Generals, he still had to have the ability to do what is shown on the video.  If he is capable of doing all the things we watched then I am glad to have him as a Billiken and commend TF and whatever AC found KCH in NC.  Nice to see a 6'8" player whose highlights show much more than a series of dunks.  He looks like a 6'8" Wing with good mid--out to 3 pt range, with superior athletic ability.  Who have we had that fits that description in the past 50 years.?  The player he most reminds me of related to SLU, is Craig Upchurch.

While playing time for the Wing spot will be tough this year with Bess and possibly Wiley getting most of the time, I think we will need KC's skills the following year after Bess and Wiley are gone.

As for your comparison question, Hankton seems a bit reminiscent of Izik Ohanon.  Hopefully he'll be even better.

As for the barbecue discussion (which is off the topic, but I understand how it began), I've created my own barbecue sauce recipe which contains a can of tomato sauce and a cup of white vinegar, along with sugar, molasses, and spices.  It's delicious.  I don't think it has to be a question of either tomato or vinegar.

29 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

As for the barbecue discussion (which is off the topic, but I understand how it began), I've created my own barbecue sauce recipe which contains a can of tomato sauce and a cup of white vinegar, along with sugar, molasses, and spices.  It's delicious.  I don't think it has to be a question of either tomato or vinegar.

Thicks has been holding out.  Season kickoff BBQ at his place!

49 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

As for your comparison question, Hankton seems a bit reminiscent of Izik Ohanon.  Hopefully he'll be even better.

White vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar? 

17 minutes ago, LindellWest said:

White vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar? 

Right.

For about a year I've been experimenting with various homemade sauces and glazes, and I've been using white vinegar for all except for a seafood glaze, for which I use malt vinegar.  I haven't tried apple cider vinegar.  My concern, I guess, is that apple cider vinegar would have more of an impact on the resulting flavor than the flavorings and spices that I use, compared to white vinegar.

Okay.  That's my last contribution to this sidebar offshoot topic.  Too bad Bonwich is no longer with us!

44 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That's my last contribution to this sidebar offshoot topic.

Maybe I lie.  If Rammer and/or Earl says something along the lines of "KC masterpiece" when Hankton does something good, I think we know where it comes from.

Oh, and *ahem*:  I demand royalties!

• 1 year later...

It's an old topic, but a barbecue fan like me can't get past that kind of discussion.

It'll all depend on how the dish is prepared and what to serve it with. You can see a few grill options for example. These are good dishes if you keep an eye on the meat and its temperature properly.