Parker update

The Wiz

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

My question was made before knowing the actual injury.  I Sincere can get back this year great.  If not, has he played to much to redshirt?    

You can't redshirt if you've played any games. He CAN however, especially if the rest of the year is lost, ask for, and would likely get, a medical redshirt.

billiken_roy and JMM28 like this

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

You can't redshirt if you've played any games. He CAN however, especially if the rest of the year is lost, ask for, and would likely get, a medical redshirt.

I thought there was a limit to how many games you've played to qualify for a medical redshirt, which is what I was taking about. 

12 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

I thought there was a limit to how many games you've played to qualify for a medical redshirt, which is what I was taking about. 

According to the NCAA rules, in order to be granted a medical redshirt, the athlete must:
  1. Suffer an injury that is deemed “season-ending”
  2. Their injury must occur before the halfway point of the season.
  3. Not participate in more than 30% of the season's games.
Mar 14, 2022
Billiken Rich likes this

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

According to the NCAA rules, in order to be granted a medical redshirt, the athlete must:
  1. Suffer an injury that is deemed “season-ending”
  2. Their injury must occur before the halfway point of the season.
  3. Not participate in more than 30% of the season's games.
Mar 14, 2022

Ok, so he should easily get one if needed, thanks for the research 

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm waiting for the "re-evaluation" that has been said he will get in St Louis 

My guess is Coastal Carolina does not have the medical equipment to truly know the extent of the injury.   Fingers crossed we currently have a worst case prognosis and will be pleasantly surprised with a Thanksgiving gift.

Likely he would just be taken to the local hospital if it was really necessary. Only reason to rush would be if they thought surgery would be needed to start the recovery. Care for it is as a worst case break, healing starts regardless. 

16 hours ago, papal said:

Do we have any information on where the break is in his foot, and what type of fracture?  Hairline fracture of fibula might take 3 weeks to heal?  Fracture of tibia or tarsal or metatarsals might be much longer.

Although I think a fibula fracture would considered more to be a leg or ankle injury. It really depends on which bone is fractured and if it’s an actual fracture or a stress fracture. Stress fractures at this point in the season means you’re pretty much done for the year. A clean break and it’s six weeks, then about two more to recapture game fitness.

17 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Football you can play a few games and redshirt, but it basketball you cant play a single second and apply for redshirt, just a medical redshirt. 

35 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Football you can play a few games and redshirt, but it basketball you cant play a single second and apply for redshirt, just a medical redshirt. 

I guess they changed the rule because I thought you could play in like 4 games and still get one but I guess not now

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I guess they changed the rule because I thought you could play in like 4 games and still get one but I guess not now

Maybe, I'm with you, I thought that too.  But its possible I thought that because in college football you can. 

6 weeks gets us to mid January. This gives us enough games to see if this team has the potential of being a top 4 conference team. If not then go for the medical RS. Even if we seem capable of competing for the top 4 how much of an impact would he have? I keep going back to Perkins last year. He just wasn’t the same player. Foot injuries are tricky as I hear those bones are fragile. If Sincere isn’t at least 90% I’d stash him for next year. Also, it allows others to get the minutes and see what we really got in guys like Thames, Hughes, Courcic and anyone else. 

Can't afford the medical redshirt. Parker has to play ASAP because this team cannot compete without him.

In four years we have a totally different roster. We already have 2 ineligibles sitting at the end of the bench. This isn't a knock on Sincere's game in any way. It's another criticism of Ford, but the roster is built in such a way that redshirts aren't feasible at the moment without forfeiting the season.

Y'all already chalking this one up before December?

It is tough to speculate on Parker until we hear more details.  Often times, a broken foot is significantly easier and quicker to recover from than a sprained ankle.

Of course we know about how bad stress fractures and chronic foot issues can be (more commonly seen in taller players).  I have no reason to believe this is that.

I have no inside information, but it seems that Parker's foot injury is most likely of the much more minor variety.

1 minute ago, SLU_Nick said:

Broken foot seems like it’s not done in a month.  I feel like everyone is being wildly optimistic on timetable here. 

Two?

That brings him back in time for conference play. The at-large potential(even for the NIT) is already dead and frankly the rest of this non-con is much less important now. However if so he is able to play for most of the conference schedule and watching this current roster get routed by Dayton is not very interesting. Parker has to play.

24 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Broken foot seems like it’s not done in a month.  I feel like everyone is being wildly optimistic on timetable here. 

That’s why I said 6 weeks to heal plus two for a full return to game speed is likely the best case scenario. That takes it to mid-January, with the caveat that we still don’t know the actual injury.

If he’s gonna be out a while, I’d redshirt him and get him 100% for 2 years. He’s a special player and would hate to waste his talent getting him for a month at 75%. Let him play a couple years with Brad, Thames, LHJ, Cian, and a beefed up Bruce.  Missing out on a serviceable, eligible big this year really hurt.

I’ll be there to support no matter what happens. Go Bills.

58 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I tend to agree with Scoop. Obviously I don’t know the extent of the injury or whether he wants to be in college two more years (anyone know how old he is?). But, the kid can really score the ball, so you’d like him to have two full seasons healthy to be the guy.

The question in the back of the mind for all decisions this year is that with a lame-duck-ish HC, every player on the roster will have the ability to transfer come March when/if Ford gets canned. You could be saving the two years for his next school.

On 11/21/2023 at 1:30 PM, wgstl said:

Should we be surprised we haven't heard anything yet? I don't know if they came back Sunday night, but Id have guesses Parker and doctors have met since Monday morning?

Heard nothing about all the ineligible players until they were held out game 1. A pattern here?

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

Didn't Jimerson play ten games his freshman year before getting hurt and then the medical redshirt?

Yes, it was just under or right at the maximun number of games he could play that year and still qualify for it.