Brock Vice de-commits

10 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

So Barry Odom saw all the Ford hater activity on this board, sensed a window of opportunity, lured the father of Brock Vice, and now the kid decommits.

He also got Forte a job at North Texas. It's a detailed plan but at the end of the day it all comes down to anonymous people on a message board being critical of the head coach

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

He also got Forte a job at North Texas. It's a detailed plan but at the end of the day it all comes down to anonymous people on a message board being critical of the head coach

Likely at the behest of a P6 School that is secretly behind the NET.  It's a vast conspiracy with a lot of ins and outs and what have yous. Lot of strands to keep in your head. 

JMM28 and thetorch like this

What a bummer I was super excited about him. I thought he was going to be a game changer.

Plus I was really looking forward to showing up to a game in a white Don Johnson Miami Vice suit. It was going to be epic. By the end of the year I planned on my entire section doing it and calling ourselves the “Vice Squad.” 

I doubt there is any blame for this. I’m guessing someone got in his ear and got him more money. 
If he ends up at UNLV I’m going to blame Jerry Tarkanian.

BTW I’m thinking mentioning Miami Vice and Jerry Tarkanian in the same post  has to be some type of 80s reference record! 

6 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Maybe all the Ford haters finally convinced him he could do better??? Be proud of your efforts, they certainly didn't hurt...

The best argument ever for the return of the bad post button.

slufan13 and wgstl like this

5 hours ago, Fraz said:

There are grown men pointing fingers at each other about why a 17 year old kid changed his mind

Those grown men are Travis Ford, Corey Tate, & Will Bailey.

2 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Thought he could contribute as a frosh.  But seriously, with the portal, thinking I might rather have an experienced P5 player instead.  4 scholarships available ..... let's do what Mizzou did last year!

That would be nice.  Might need to work on the recruiting pitches tho

JMM28 likes this

8 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Likely at the behest of a P6 School that is secretly behind the NET.  It's a vast conspiracy with a lot of ins and outs and what have yous. Lot of strands to keep in your head. 

It’s weird that NET favoring P6 schools is now a conspiracy theory rather than something that is based in fact relative to the previous #1 metric, but yea these are rough times around here so I get it 

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Brock Vice’s offers for those who are looking to jump off a bridge:

8393267E-9022-4813-949A-346D2B5B8EAE.jpeg

Again, it’s pretty obvious we got in on Vice really early.  He was frequently ranked among most efficient offensive players in the aau tourneys he was in, often listed amongst 4 and 5 star recruits.  He appeared to have a mostly D-1 ready body. We are incredibly short at the 4 and 5 spots.   This is a big loss, we shouldn’t be discounting it in my opinion. 

slu72 likes this

5 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Again, it’s pretty obvious we got in on Vice really early.  He was frequently ranked among most efficient offensive players in the aau tourneys he was in, often listed amongst 4 and 5 star recruits.  He appeared to have a mostly D-1 ready body. We are incredibly short at the 4 and 5 spots.   This is a big loss, we shouldn’t be discounting it in my opinion. 

I realize we’re short at the 4/5 but it’s funny that everyone is convinced Vice was going to be the first FR big under Ford to come in and be an impact player immediately 

40 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I realize we’re short at the 4/5 but it’s funny that everyone is convinced Vice was going to be the first FR big under Ford to come in and be an impact player immediately 

French was pretty good as a freshman. I didn't think Vice would be as good as him but I think he'd be serviceable. 

majerus mojo likes this

I know I've been negative this season,  but this stuff is going on everywhere no matter how much NIL $ is available.  So I'm not blaming the coach.   We'll just have to see how the staff responds and what's plan B, C and D.

Definitely need front court help now and a guard.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I know I've been negative this season,  but this stuff is going on everywhere no matter how much NIL $ is available.  So I'm not blaming the coach.   We'll just have to see how the staff responds and what's plan B, C and D.

Definitely need front court help now and a guard.

When Sodie was here he never had a play B much less C and D.  Just a question - has Ford showed he does?

thatskablamo likes this

Still no firm committment that Forte snd Brock Vice have committed anywhere? Vegas or Texas? I guess there is no tampering if letters of enrollment contracts have not been signed whatever the legsl status is?  So no concern on our part if Forte quit taking Brock or if he lost Brock and got fired? Too bad either way as Ford was certainly trying to help Forte and has little to show for it now. 
Now we are down two recruiters? Or just one? 

thatskablamo likes this

On 4/14/2023 at 1:55 PM, brianstl said:

Barry Odom hired his dad as offensive line coach at UNLV.

On 4/14/2023 at 1:15 PM, ARon said:

Not saying he is going to North Texas. But sure would seem to be somewhat tied to Phil Forte leaving.

So his dad coaches UNLV football and the coach that recruited him is going to North Texas. The Mountain West had the NCAA runner-up. North Texas are the NIT Champions.

Brock Vice de-committing makes sense for some pretty clear, logical reasons, with no woe is us, sky-is-falling lamentations and Ford bashing required.

At the end of the day it's still up to the head coach to retain players/recruits but this one is a pretty common situation. So yeah Ford deserves some criticism but I'd actually guess half of coaches each year go through this so you have to accept it happens. I think it's a pretty important potential piece to lose but the transfer portal is there to make up for it. Pryor plus two more bigs is a necessity