Transfers - 2023

ACE

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m definitely ok taking a chance on the “big name recruits with small numbers at big schools”. Worked really well for Bess, and to a lesser extent Okoro (not the biggest Franco fan, but for the most part he was an effective A10 level player). 

gabriel likes this

18 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’m definitely ok taking a chance on the “big name recruits with small numbers at big schools”. Worked really well for Bess, and to a lesser extent Okoro (not the biggest Franco fan, but for the most part he was an effective A10 level player). 

I was thinking the same thing about Bess. Hopefully, he can approximate that type of contribution. ESPN had Noland rated just inside the top 100 coming out of high school. He was recruited by Kruger, so maybe he just wasn't a good fit with Moser. This is a scouting report: 

https://247sports.com/Article/CJ-Noland-Oklahoma-transfer-portal-206003826/

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

I was thinking the same thing about Bess. Hopefully, he can approximate that type of contribution. ESPN had Noland rated just inside the top 100 coming out of high school. He was recruited by Kruger, so maybe he just wasn't a good fit with Moser. This is a scouting report: 

Also, a little like Jett. His quick first step allows him to shed defenders on drives to the hoop. 

31 minutes ago, ACE said:

The one caution I would give to people who want to use a Bess comparison is Bess was stuck behind multiple NBA players on a team that went to the Final Four one year and was ranked number two the other.  It is not really the same situation with Noland.

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The one caution I would give to people who want to use a Bess comparison is Bess was stuck behind multiple NBA players on a team that went to the Final Four one year and was ranked number two the other.  It is not really the same situation with Noland.

Fair enough, I meant it more than I would expect a leap in production, probably not the huge jump in numbers that we saw with Bess. Also, Bess had the befit of where he sat out a year and had more time to improve his game. 

I expect he could provide a bullyball element we are sorely lacking. And even if/when he commits, IMO, we'll still need another guard. Noland seems like a 2/3; I think we definitely still need another experienced 1/2.

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Fair enough, I meant it more than I would expect a leap in production, probably not the huge jump in numbers that we saw with Bess. Also, Bess had the befit of where he sat out a year and had more time to improve his game. 

I expect he could provide a bullyball element we are sorely lacking. And even if/when he commits, IMO, we'll still need another guard. Noland seems like a 2/3; I think we definitely still need another experienced 1/2.

I don't think we will add another Guard(minus PG).  Gibby, Parker and LHJ will all be expecting a lot of minutes.  I think Front court help and PG is most important after the news today/night

Bilzz likes this

it is tough to compare to Billikens like Bess, or Goodwin, or Lisch who all exceeded the norm in the toughest attribute to judge because there are no "numbers" to back it up.   

heart. 

a lot of the skill attributes we all go to, points, rebounds, assists, blocked shots, etc, are definitely affected by the heart of a player, but there is no doubt that these players are the ones that are the first ones on the floor diving on balls, the guy on breakaways out sprints all the other players to make a come from behind poke to stop the play, basically just does all the stuff a lot of players dont do or wont do.   

if this noland is that guy, i'll take him sight unseen.

Adman and CenHudDude like this

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I don't think we will add another Guard(minus PG).  Gibby, Parker and LHJ will all be expecting a lot of minutes.  I think Front court help and PG is most important after the news today/night

I did say we need a 1/2 guard - if you want to call him a PG, that's fine with me. I think we are in agreement, that the roster still needs another experienced guard - more of a ballhandler/distributor.

8 minutes ago, ACE said:

I did say we need a 1/2 guard - if you want to call him a PG, that's fine with me. I think we are in agreement, that the roster still needs another experienced guard - more of a ballhandler/distributor.

Yep. And absolutely need a center or a PF 

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Yep. And absolutely need a center or a PF 

I agree - I think we need two experienced bigs. I wish we could find a versatile PF like Camara.

I still expect another scholarship or two to open up.

12 minutes ago, ACE said:

I agree - I think we need two experienced bigs. I wish we could find a versatile PF like Camara.

I still expect another scholarship or two to open up.

Jennings would be an excellent addition 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

it is tough to compare to Billikens like Bess, or Goodwin, or Lisch who all exceeded the norm in the toughest attribute to judge because there are no "numbers" to back it up.   

heart. 

a lot of the skill attributes we all go to, points, rebounds, assists, blocked shots, etc, are definitely affected by the heart of a player, but there is no doubt that these players are the ones that are the first ones on the floor diving on balls, the guy on breakaways out sprints all the other players to make a come from behind poke to stop the play, basically just does all the stuff a lot of players dont do or wont do.   

if this noland is that guy, i'll take him sight unseen.

Baseball Card Image: 04UDV 112 Bo Hart.jpg

3 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

For all his shortcomings, Frank did NUMBIES here.