Transfers - 2023

ACE

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I watched Bell several times, once in person.  He had a specific role, to set picks and to defend the opponent's big.  Erik Stevenson very much appreciated the picks he set.  Even in the Big 12, centers had difficulty backing Bell down in the paint.  He really wasn't but the fifth option on offense.  If he would have been in our rotation, who knows what his role would have been. 

The point was about his freshman year. Not how he played this year.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

So I think we are actually in the running for Dayvion McKnight.  This would be a tough one to pull off, but it would a great pick up.

Not an ideal PG, would take as a CG tho 

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think the sales pitch to him specifically involves Travis’s history with Smart and Goodwin.  

Fair, but hopefully to bring him on as an off guard, or run a 2 pg lineup 

When you hear something like "a player has heard from 5 teams"  does not mean that we are really in on them what it means is we have contacted him and that is all.  Players do this to increase hype much like in the NFL an agent saying we have heard from several teams which is done to make the other teams think there is a lot of interest in the player.  I will be more excited when the player has us down to his top 2 until then it is all about the hype.

Schasz likes this

17 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

When you something like "a player has heard from 5 teams"  does not mean that we are really in on them what it means is we have contacted him and that is all.  Players do this to increase hype much like in the NFL an agent saying we have heard from several teams which is done to make the other teams think there is a lot of interest in the player.  I will be more excited when the player has us down to his top 2 until then it is all about the hype.

-I'll go further, I'll get excited when they Become a Billiken

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

When you hear something like "a player has heard from 5 teams"  does not mean that we are really in on them what it means is we have contacted him and that is all.  Players do this to increase hype much like in the NFL an agent saying we have heard from several teams which is done to make the other teams think there is a lot of interest in the player.  I will be more excited when the player has us down to his top 2 until then it is all about the hype.

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought when someone said we had contacted him that meant he would be a Billiken. 

8 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I think it is more a question of resource and time allocation for the staff. If Ford and Co. are going to reach out to these P6 transfers (Camren Hunter, Dayvion McKnight) and make final lists or whatever, then SLU must be in the game financially. You wouldn't be wasting your time going after those guys if you couldn't come up with NIL money needed to land them.

11 minutes ago, Bilzz said:

I think it is more a question of resource and time allocation for the staff. If Ford and Co. are going to reach out to these P6 transfers (Camren Hunter, Dayvion McKnight) and make final lists or whatever, then SLU must be in the game financially. You wouldn't be wasting your time going after those guys if you couldn't come up with NIL money needed to land them.

The two bolded are very different levels. Kicking the tires on a player in the portal with a phone call takes a half hour max. We've got a TON of playing time to offer, if we're operating with a smaller NIL budget, PT is a trump card.

CenHudDude likes this

11 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

He’s either a great recruit and terrible coach or average at both. I think it’s the latter, but open to discussion.

LOL.  Thought this thread was discuss transfers, not the coach of the Billikens for next year, and hopefully longer ..... Travis Ford.  

HoosierPal and dennis_w like this

2 hours ago, Bilzz said:

Seems reasonable

@Bilzz--- Hunter is at Central Arkansas; McKnight is Western Kentucky.  If you've got those schools as P6's, you'd might want to relook your classifications.

I see this as quite typical now .... kids at lower levels advancing up a notch or two.  Going the other way seems a rarity.

willie likes this