GDT: Drake

SluSignGuy

Drake was the overwhelming preseason favorite in the Valley.  Drake's @Richmond debacle had to have been an outlier because Drake is a good team with very experienced players.

Valley fans are conditioned to question the officiating.  They are mostly questioning DeVries being properly called for the offensive foul when he ran over Thatch.

Let's not diminish last night's big win for SLU.  It was a very important victory on multiple levels.  The team needed the Win, the Coach needed the Win, and this fanbase needed the Win.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Drake was the overwhelming preseason favorite in the Valley.  Drake's @Richmond debacle had to have been an outlier because Drake is a good team with very experienced players.

Yep. We just beat a team who'll likely be dancing, no small potatoes here.

11 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Valley fans are conditioned to question the officiating.  They are mostly questioning DeVries being properly called for the offensive foul when he ran over Thatch.

Let's not diminish last night's big win for SLU.  It was a very important victory on multiple levels.  The team needed the Win, the Coach needed the Win, and this fanbase needed the Win.

DeVries did himself no favors by extending his arm. Thatch may not have convinced the ref with his acting job otherwise.

12 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Seemed like both Okora and forrester were out there for longer stretches tonight.  Not up and down on the bench every foul or bad play.  Seemed to help Okora get in the flow.

I am really sick of Ford doing his best "Rich Grawer imitation" pulling guys out of the game whenever they make a mistake, which i believe is terrible for team and individual morale. 

Dr. Holly Hills likes this

18 minutes ago, bauman said:

I am really sick of Ford doing his best "Rich Grawer imitation" pulling guys out of the game whenever they make a mistake, which i believe is terrible for team and individual morale. 

To me It depends on the mistake.

If someone is making the same mistake again and again and again in practice and in games you pull him.

I

I thought that was the big difference.  Ford was not as quick with the hook on Perkins and okoro.   He let them play through it and there demeaner definitely seemed much better

41 minutes ago, bauman said:

sounds like he's learning about that from his post game babble.

2 hours ago, BACKHANDtheRICAN said:

Reality check: we beat Drake. Calm down.

no at large bid coming to the Bills this year. NIT.

l agree. If there is anything this game showed to anyone capable of analyzing it, is that neutralizing Yuri is necessary to beat SLU. We have a long history of losing games during the conference play to teams we should have easily beaten, like Duquesne. I believe Perkins ability to play will remain unstable and possibly regress again, if he overdoes the training.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

DeVries did himself no favors by extending his arm. Thatch may not have convinced the ref with his acting job otherwise.

In today's game if you have a complete position between the man with the ball and the basket that man can not go through you.  Today that will be often called an offensive foul.  When some of us may have played it would have been a block but the game has changed over the last few years.  Actually it makes more sense now then back then.

5 hours ago, cheeseman said:

In today's game if you have a complete position between the man with the ball and the basket that man can not go through you.  Today that will be often called an offensive foul.  When some of us may have played it would have been a block but the game has changed over the last few years.  Actually it makes more sense now then back then.

Agree with this. The “he was moving it’s a charge” always bothered me. You are suppose to move while playing defense. 

I once had a ref tell me he would call a charge if the first contact was made at the chest. This told him the defensive player was in good position. He was staying with the offensive player. 

If the first contact was made with the legs it meant the offensive player was getting by the defender. The defender was not in position and should be a block. 

It’s not how the rule is written but it always made a lot of sense to me.

Why punish a defender for playing good defense but the offense player decides to go through the defender.

The Thatch play he got hit right in the chest because he was playing good defense.

cheeseman likes this

11 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Agree with this. The “he was moving it’s a charge” always bothered me. You are suppose to move while playing defense. 

I once had a ref tell me he would call a charge if the first contact was made at the chest. This told him the defensive player was in good position. He was staying with the offensive player. 

If the first contact was made with the legs it meant the offensive player was getting by the defender. The defender was not in position and should be a block. 

Why punish a defender for playing good defense but the offense player decides to go through the defender.

The Thatch play he got hit right in the chest because he was playing good defense.

Also, when Fred Thatch goes flying back like he was fired out of a cannon, dude's been hit.  Normally he's a rock.....

RamJAMTIME likes this

11 hours ago, Fraz said:

I believe Perkins looked better?

He looked better because it was the first game over the last several games that he went away from the wild drives to the basket, trying to draw contact and just throwing the ball up. Repeatedly doing that is what had made Ford pull him. He went to mid range jumpers and threes against Drake and resulted in him finding success in his offensive game. 

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

All of this is right; I’m a high school ref here in STL, and the biggest misunderstanding BY FAR with block/charge calls is the “he/she was moving” crap.  It’s all about the defender having legal guarding position, and Fred obtained legal guarding position and maintained it.  It’s a charge 100% of the time.

Apologies for geeking out with the referee jargon lol

cgeldmacher, almaman and dlarry like this

32 minutes ago, laker119 said:

All of this is right; I’m a high school ref here in STL, and the biggest misunderstanding BY FAR with block/charge calls is the “he/she was moving” crap.  It’s all about the defender having legal guarding position, and Fred obtained legal guarding position and maintained it.  It’s a charge 100% of the time.

I appreciate you doing the thankless job of refing HS ball. It isn’t easy. I have officiated club volleyball and baseball and quit both because of the incessant complaining. 

laker119 likes this

1 hour ago, laker119 said:

When did that rule change?  The ‘90s and ‘00s were awful.  I remember those KU teams would just sprint down the court and wildly flail into defenders and always get the call.  A good rule change by the NCAA.

4 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

When did that rule change?  The ‘90s and ‘00s were awful.  I remember those KU teams would just sprint down the court and wildly flail into defenders and always get the call.  A good rule change by the NCAA.

I don’t know that the rule changed, but I may be wrong.  Having to be “set” was always just something that was said not the actual rule. It more refers to a defender moving in front at the last minute, meaning he has to get there and be in a legal guarding position. What I think has changed has been the way it’s been called. It’s still a block if the offensive player turns into the defender and the defender is not yet there and in a legal guarding position. 

8 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Im pretty sure Kansas still gets that call at Allen field house.