OT- World Cup

slufanskip

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I hate to take this thread off topic, but am I the only person who hates penalty kicks to end a game?  Might as well end the game with a battle of rochambeau, or a three legged race.

It's the functional equivalent of ending a tied baseball game with a homerun hitting contest.........

11 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Would be 100x better than the BS runner at 2nd 

I know I am in a huge minority but I like the runner at second base. Enjoy the strategy of whether to bunt them over or swing away. Should you walk  the batter to set up the force.  Besides if I am at the game I get to go home sooner. 

slufan13 likes this

I hate PK’s as a way to end a game too. I’m just not sure what the alternative is.  

One thought someone suggested once is corner kicks, play until the goalkeeper gets the ball, or they kick it out. Give each team one, then if one team scores you have a winner. Alternate until someone scores. At least it’s more like the real game. Not sure I like it. Any other ideas for an alternative to PK’s to resolve the game?

AnkielBreakers likes this

26 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Grant's brother believes he was the victim of foul play.

Such a shock. Grant was openly critical of Qatar‘s human right violations but man, to have him killed at the World Cup? Although I guess I wouldn’t be surprised. I’m sure I’d be saying the same things if I had suddenly lost my brother. You’re searching for answers. 

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Such a shock. Grant was openly critical of Qatar‘s human right violations but man, to have him killed at the World Cup? Although I guess I wouldn’t be surprised. I’m sure I’d be saying the same things if I had suddenly lost my brother. You’re searching for answers. 

RIP to Grant, enjoyed reading his stuff.

He had apparently been sick with bronchitis recently as well, and said he tested negative for Covid.  Could be related to that.  You wouldn’t think there would be any foul play involved, but with the Qataris, I truly don’t think you can ever rule anything out.  Especially if it involves someone who makes them look bad. 

Hopefully they can get his body home quickly and untampered with to do an autopsy.  

It is certainly weird that a high profile soccer writer gets sick and dies in a corrupt country that kills people for speaking out against them like Wahl did. I also hope they can get his body home untampered with. The fact that we can even believe he could be murdered says a lot about where FIFA allowed the Wolrd Cup to be played 

3 hours ago, slufan13 said:

It is certainly weird that a high profile soccer writer gets sick and dies in a corrupt country that kills people for speaking out against them like Wahl did. I also hope they can get his body home untampered with. The fact that we can even believe he could be murdered says a lot about where FIFA allowed the Wolrd Cup to be played 

Totally agree. 
The first thing I thought when I heard was “they murdered him”

Super sad and no matter what an autopsy says that thought will always be on my mind and that’s on FIFA

8 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

FIFA and the NFL are two of the most corrupt pro sports organizations in the world and it's not close.

1. FIFA 

2. IOC

3. NFL

4. NCAA

Lord Elrond likes this

PKs are so dramatic.  Do the extra time then the PKs.  Yes it is a different game but it is compelling and teams do practice it. 

As for Wahl, chances of foul play after the Koshogei incident are slim (or just in general American media and all huge spotlight).   But I'm not a conspiracy theorist so carry on.