Jump to content

OT- World Cup


slufanskip
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

What in your estimate did Ricardo Pepi do wrong? The coach called him and told him he wasn’t on the World Cup roster. The player didn’t yell at him or go to the press, he called his family and his agent and told them (which they were both certainly entitled to know), then started working harder and playing better. He is entitled to feel disappointed, but if he’s turning that disappointment into improving his play, and since he didn’t cause a disruption during the Cup, not sure I see the problem. 

Read the article. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did, several times. Better to hang up on Berhalter than say something he’ll regret. And if he’s not on the team, he wasn’t hanging up on his coach anymore. He wasn’t on the team, and said nothing to distract from the team’s play. He didn’t say anything to distract the rest of the team according to the article. And now he’s using the experience to motivate himself and improve his play.

majerus mojo likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I did, several times. Better to hang up on Berhalter than say something he’ll regret. And if he’s not on the team, he wasn’t hanging up on his coach anymore. He wasn’t on the team, and said nothing to distract from the team’s play. He didn’t say anything to distract the rest of the team according to the article. And now he’s using the experience to motivate himself and improve his play.

What surprises me is that he could actually be shocked. He had a couple of good games but has absolutely sucked since. He’s failed to convert great chance after great chance. He’s been horrible with his club leading up to the WC also. I’m confused why he felt he was a shoo in. 

HoosierPal likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

What surprises me is that he could actually be shocked. He had a couple of good games but has absolutely sucked since. He’s failed to convert great chance after great chance. He’s been horrible with his club leading up to the WC also. I’m confused why he felt he was a shoo in. 

I have no problem with him not being selected, his performance or lack thereof at his club before the tournament is obviously relevant to being put on the team. He has a right to feel disappointed, but he kept it to himself during the tournament and has channeled it into doing better with the Dutch team he’s on now, so that’s fine.  If he continues to do well, he should get consideration for being put on the USMNT next time. Every member of the USMNT should realize that spots on the team are always competitive, and their spot is always up for review.

slufanskip likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/ricardo-pepi-reveals-he-hung-up-on-gregg-berhalter-after-usmnt-world-cup-roster-snub/

I guess we don't need a USMNT coach.  Just let the players pick the team (rock, paper, scissors) and then let the Soccer Mom's set the match lineup.

You should listen to the interview. With full context, it does not seem like Pepi immediately hung up in the manner it seems from that individual quote snippet. It is really poor journalism.

majerus mojo likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I have no problem with him not being selected, his performance or lack thereof at his club before the tournament is obviously relevant to being put on the team. He has a right to feel disappointed, but he kept it to himself during the tournament and has channeled it into doing better with the Dutch team he’s on now, so that’s fine.  If he continues to do well, he should get consideration for being put on the USMNT next time. Every member of the USMNT should realize that spots on the team are always competitive, and their spot is always up for review.

Yes disappointed sure, but to use the term shocked? That tells me you believed you were a shoo in. What he should have been disappointed in is his own poor play. He should have been shocked that with that level of play he was even in the conversation 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Yes disappointed sure, but to use the term shocked? That tells me you believed you were a shoo in. What he should have been disappointed in is his own poor play. He should have been shocked that with that level of play he was even in the conversation 

Most players tend to be the worst judges of their own play. Sometimes it takes something like being cut from a team to get their attention. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Former Billiken Brian McBride is reportedly out as USMNT GM. 

His former teammate, Sporting Director Earnie Stewart told the USSF’s board of directors Thursday during its private executive session that McBride wouldn’t return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Former Billiken Brian McBride is reportedly out as USMNT GM. 

His former teammate, Sporting Director Earnie Stewart told the USSF’s board of directors Thursday during its private executive session that McBride wouldn’t return.

I saw that yesterday. I’m wondering if it was his choice? Doesn’t sound like it though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I saw that yesterday. I’m wondering if it was his choice? Doesn’t sound like it though

I haven't seen any reliable comments regarding why he isn't coming back.  I did read in more than one article that McBride's contract was up at year's end.  Now did he not want it renewed or did Stewart not want him back?  Or something else. 

Perhaps the Reyna's wanted him out? 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I haven't seen any reliable comments regarding why he isn't coming back.  I did read in more than one article that McBride's contract was up at year's end.  Now did he not want it renewed or did Stewart not want him back?  Or something else. 

Perhaps the Reyna's wanted him out? 🙂

 

I don’t understand how the investigation of something that happened 30+ years ago with an 18 year old plays into the decision. Make the decision based upon your belief of the current Reyna situation and your belief in his ability as a coach. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2023 at 7:56 PM, brianstl said:

My guess is that the manager they hire will want to fill both roles.  I really don’t understand why the program needed a general manager.

The GM title is not accurate for what that role actually does. Why do we have to call the person in charge of international talent the "GM".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The GM title is not accurate for what that role actually does. Why do we have to call the person in charge of international talent the "GM".

A top manager is going to want to be in charge of the international talent in the program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...