OT- World Cup

slufanskip

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Worldsoccertalk.com Gregg’s reasons for not intending to play Gio much was his fitness and him fitting in the system. Seriously, you can’t find a way to fit Gio Reyna into your system? Is your system going to change? if fitness was an issue, I get that but problems fitting him in your system? WTF

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

According to Worldsoccertalk.com Gregg’s reasons for not intending to play Gio much was his fitness and him fitting in the system. Seriously, you can’t find a way to fit Gio Reyna into your system? Is your system going to change? if fitness was an issue, I get that but problems fitting him in your system? WTF

Let's try to translate what this coach is saying: I do not want him to play but I have to give reasons for not playing him, fitness and not fitting in the system works. I will play my system, he will sit, bases covered.

This coach just does not want to play him.

willie likes this

I found this to be an interesting shot over the bow as to the makeup of the 2026 USMNT. It is obviously extremely premature to speculate, but why not.  I conclude that our "Clint Dempsey" striker isn't walking through the door in the next four years.  Vazquez is on this list, but he isn't tied to the US being a dual national with Mexico.  Slonina is another dual national that would have to come into the fold over the next period. 

Whomever Earnie Stewart selects as the next coach needs to keep recruiting the duals.  Dest and Musah are the two highest levels that committed this past cycle.  All of the starters on this attachment are more of less repeats from this cycle, so aren't there any breakthroughs on the horizon?

Without the need to qualify for the next WC, the US should take advantage and play higher level competition.  No friendlies with Guatemala and Panama, please.  Copa America, please.

2026 USMNT.jpg

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

I found this to be an interesting shot over the bow as to the makeup of the 2026 USMNT. It is obviously extremely premature to speculate, but why not.  I conclude that our "Clint Dempsey" striker isn't walking through the door in the next four years.  Vazquez is on this list, but he isn't tied to the US being a dual national with Mexico.  Slonina is another dual national that would have to come into the fold over the next period. 

Whomever Earnie Stewart selects as the next coach needs to keep recruiting the duals.  Dest and Musah are the two highest levels that committed this past cycle.  All of the starters on this attachment are more of less repeats from this cycle, so aren't there any breakthroughs on the horizon?

Without the need to qualify for the next WC, the US should take advantage and play higher level competition.  No friendlies with Guatemala and Panama, please.  Copa America, please.

2026 USMNT.jpg

one thing that stands out is the ST list.  I'll be shocked if Dike or Pefok isn't on that list. 

On 12/14/2022 at 7:06 PM, CenHudDude said:

OK you soccer (football) fans, who is favored on Sunday?  What do you personally think, and why?

France and France, as much as I want to see Messi go out on top.

They've looked better than any other squad from start to finish, and that's with Benzema, Kante, and Pogba missing the tournament entirely (although Benzema is still technically on the roster and would be allowed to play the final - I don't think it's going to happen). Hernandez (brother of the one who scored the first goal vs. Morocco) left the first match due to injury and hasn't returned. They also had 3 or so depth players miss the WC. Maybe not all locks to make the roster, but still.

They do everything well. They also seem to be playing without any sense of pressure, like you can just feel from some of the other squads. They aren't overly emotional. No one seems to be able to get in their heads. They're so impressive on every level. They're content to be outpossessed and then they're so organized and decisive on the counterattack. (They're also the best dressed team at this WC, and it's not close.)

Argentina and Messi have a ton of pressure on their shoulders. He already said this is his last appearance for the national team. If he goes out on top, there's not even any more conversation about the best of all time. I'd love to see it. They're going to have to do it against the best team in the tournament, and that's a tall order.

slufanskip likes this

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

2026 USMNT.jpg

US needs to have a full court press on Folarin Balogun. He’s not a sure thing, but he’s the closest thing to a bonafide striker prospect as we have. He’s looked good on loan in France this year.  

if I give Greggg credit for one thing, it’s that he was good in international recruitment. Hiring a well respected manager should help with that though. If I’m USSF, I’m seeing if Patrick Viera wants to return to coaching in the US and try his hand at international management. 

10 hours ago, Pistol said:

France and France, as much as I want to see Messi go out on top.

They've looked better than any other squad from start to finish, and that's with Benzema, Kante, and Pogba missing the tournament entirely (although Benzema is still technically on the roster and would be allowed to play the final - I don't think it's going to happen). Hernandez (brother of the one who scored the first goal vs. Morocco) left the first match due to injury and hasn't returned. They also had 3 or so depth players miss the WC. Maybe not all locks to make the roster, but still.

They do everything well. They also seem to be playing without any sense of pressure, like you can just feel from some of the other squads. They aren't overly emotional. No one seems to be able to get in their heads. They're so impressive on every level. They're content to be outpossessed and then they're so organized and decisive on the counterattack. (They're also the best dressed team at this WC, and it's not close.)

Argentina and Messi have a ton of pressure on their shoulders. He already said this is his last appearance for the national team. If he goes out on top, there's not even any more conversation about the best of all time. I'd love to see it. They're going to have to do it against the best team in the tournament, and that's a tall order.

Thanks Pistol.  I’m not a soccer fan, but have been following the World Cup with some  interest.  I wanted to hear from some of you that follow the game closely.

Pistol likes this

12 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

US needs to have a full court press on Folarin Balogun. He’s not a sure thing, but he’s the closest thing to a bonafide striker prospect as we have. He’s looked good on loan in France this year.  

Recruiting duals (or in this case 'triples') will be key moving forward.  Balogun has the option of representing England, US and Nigeria.  I found this quote from October.  Musah might be a factor in persuading him to don the Red/White/Blue rather than the three lions. 

“Just like my future at club level, I am not closing any doors regarding international selection,” Balogun said. “All options remain open. Above everything, I feel English, but I also have an American side, because I have family in New York and I love going there. I have my grandmother and cousins in Lagos, even if I haven’t been there since I was very young. My mother sometimes speaks to me in Yoruba and it is important to me,” he added.

slufanskip likes this

22 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Recruiting duals (or in this case 'triples') will be key moving forward.  Balogun has the option of representing England, US and Nigeria.  I found this quote from October.  Musah might be a factor in persuading him to don the Red/White/Blue rather than the three lions. 

“Just like my future at club level, I am not closing any doors regarding international selection,” Balogun said. “All options remain open. Above everything, I feel English, but I also have an American side, because I have family in New York and I love going there. I have my grandmother and cousins in Lagos, even if I haven’t been there since I was very young. My mother sometimes speaks to me in Yoruba and it is important to me,” he added.

Jonathan David was another Tri-national (born in NYC). Unfortunately, he chose to represent Canada, because he’s exactly the star striker we could use. He was involved with Canada from early on though, so hard to blame him. Hard to say if US was even aware of him prior to him getting involved with Canada. 

I think Balogun has that potential, but he’s still raw.  I’d still try to get him to accept a call-up early this cycle. Even if he doesn’t play, it would be good to get him in camp and involved with the program so he can feel out whether it’s a good fit. Same goes for Kik Pierie and Bryan Okoh, with how thin we are at CB.  I could see Pierie realistically getting involved, but Okoh seems pretty entrenched with Switzerland, which is a shame because he looks like a future stud. 

slufanskip likes this

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is an interesting alternative to penalty kicks.  I had forgotten about this.

https://prosoccerwire.usatoday.com/2022/12/17/pulisic-wants-mls-style-shootouts-to-replace-penalties/

That’s not a bad idea. I also like the Golden Goal in OT

HoosierPal likes this

https://apple.news/AaclcYZ84S9y0u3RcrNA5Ug

not sure if this link will work but a few highlights:

An analysis by the Athletic determined that Messi has walked more than any player at this year’s World Cup, an average of more than three miles per game. He walks more than ever these days, which makes sense. He is thirty-five; by walking three miles instead of running them, Messi is storing up his energy and lengthening his career.

Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola, who coached Messi for four years at Barcelona, has described his walking, especially in the early stages of a game, as form of cartography—an exercise in scanning and surveying, taking the measure of the defense, noticing where the vulnerabilities lie, and calculating when and how opportunities might be seized. “After five, ten minutes, he’ll have a map in his eyes and in his brain,” Guardiola has said. “[He’ll] know exactly what is the space and what is the panorama.”

Still think France gets the win. Every ounce of pressure will be on Argentina. 

2-0 Argentina. Imo very questionable foul on the first penalty kick. He may have been touched but he went down to draw a foul not due to the contact. 2nd goal was beautiful from the start of the counter to the finish. Just a fantastic goal all around. 

Argentina has been the far superior team. However, their antics make them so hard for me to like which is sad because their skill and technique on the ball is everything anyone should love about soccer. 

They constantly go down so easy. You’d think it’s 3 am and they are all leaving a bar drunk their balance is so bad. Then add in the feigning injury over nothing. Like the guy who gets bumped on the shoulder on the free kick and he goes down holding his face trying to buy a foul. There has to be a half dozen instances in just one half of play. I wonder if they practice this. 

It’s too bad because they don’t need the antics. Without the BS they are so fun to watch. 

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

2-0 Argentina. Imo very questionable foul on the first penalty kick. He may have been touched but he went down to draw a foul not due to the contact. 2nd goal was beautiful from the start of the counter to the finish. Just a fantastic goal all around. 

Argentina has been the far superior team. However, their antics make them so hard for me to like which is sad because their skill and technique on the ball is everything anyone should love about soccer. 

They constantly go down so easy. You’d think it’s 3 am and they are all leaving a bar drunk their balance is so bad. Then add in the feigning injury over nothing. Like the guy who gets bumped on the shoulder on the free kick and he goes down holding his face trying to buy a foul. There has to be a half dozen instances in just one half of play. I wonder if they practice this. 

It’s too bad because they don’t need the antics. Without the BS they are so fun to watch. 

Watching live I didn’t think Dembele fouled but on that first replay they showed it appeared he clipped the back of the cleats.  Either way France looks lost out there. I expected the Dembele sub but Giroud was interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Watching live I didn’t think Dembele fouled but on that first replay they showed it appeared he clipped the back of the cleats.  Either way France looks lost out there. I expected the Dembele sub but Giroud was interesting. 

I saw the replay. He 100% goes down to draw the foul. It’s the way they play. Any contact go down like you were just hit by a cannon from 10 yards away. 

You watch the things they do with the ball at their feet, the way they move it around in tight spaces. It’s amazing. They don’t need the antics.