OT- World Cup

slufanskip

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4830953/usa-midfielder-giovanni-reyna-almost-sent-home-from-world-cup

United States midfielder Giovanni Reyna was almost sent home from the World Cup in Qatar due to a lack of effort in training and in a pre-tournament scrimmage against Qatari side Al Gharafa SC, sources told ESPN on Sunday.

Reyna, 20, did not start a single game for the US in Qatar but did play the entire second half of their final match -- a 3-1 loss to the Netherlands in the round of 16. The sources added that Reyna apologized to the entire team for his lack of effort.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/gio-reyna-was-nearly-sent-home-from-usa-world-cup-per-reports-gregg-berhalter-reveals-what-happened-in-qatar/

Things got so bad, that Reyna narrowly avoided the team voting to send him home by a vote of 13-12, Jason McIntyre reports.  (This is amazing.  Definitely a divided team in Qatar.)

This is an interesting development and eases my distrust of GGG's decisions.   But at the same time you have to be able to motivate your players. Different guys have different buttons to push.   But not everyone can reach everybody.   So who knows in this situation. Hope Reyna can grow from this and be effective in the future. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Everyone's either blaming Gregg or Gio on this.  They both messed up big time. 

Seems crazy though that Gregg would go public with this (yes, he didn’t specifically name Gio, but everyone knew that’s who he was talking about) unless he knows he’s on the way out and is trying to justify not playing one of his most talented players.  Why out Gio if you’re staying on as coach?   We’ve read that Yedlin and Long were on Gregg’s side, but that shouldn’t shock anyone.  I’d like to know what the guys training daily with top players in Top 5 leagues think about it, although we probably never will, or at least not until their national team careers are done.  Gio has never been at ultra high-energy guy, and he’s been dealing with a ton of injuries, so it’s hard to fault him for not going all-out in a friendly with a Qatari club team.   With that said, it is the World Cup, if there’s a time to give everything you’ve got, that’s it. 

We will very likely never know the whole truth of what happened. 

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

Seems crazy though that Gregg would go public with this (yes, he didn’t specifically name Gio, but everyone knew that’s who he was talking about) unless he knows he’s on the way out and is trying to justify not playing one of his most talented players.  Why out Gio if you’re staying on as coach?   We’ve read that Yedlin and Long were on Gregg’s side, but that shouldn’t shock anyone.  I’d like to know what the guys training daily with top players in Top 5 leagues think about it, although we probably never will, or at least not until their national team careers are done.  Gio has never been at ultra high-energy guy, and he’s been dealing with a ton of injuries, so it’s hard to fault him for not going all-out in a friendly with a Qatari club team.   With that said, it is the World Cup, if there’s a time to give everything you’ve got, that’s it. 

We will very likely never know the whole truth of what happened. 

Ya I dont think ggg is/was sticking around. This should obviously be the icing on the cake for that. But also Gio being a little frick when we needed him as badly as we did also sucks

I hate to say this about the journalist that died in Quatar, but a lot of young and middle aged people just drop dead in the course of a year. They may have had a berry aneurysm popping or an undiagnosed cardiac condition that brings them down. There is no way to determine what killed this guy until a full autopsy is performed.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4830953/usa-midfielder-giovanni-reyna-almost-sent-home-from-world-cup

United States midfielder Giovanni Reyna was almost sent home from the World Cup in Qatar due to a lack of effort in training and in a pre-tournament scrimmage against Qatari side Al Gharafa SC, sources told ESPN on Sunday.

Reyna, 20, did not start a single game for the US in Qatar but did play the entire second half of their final match -- a 3-1 loss to the Netherlands in the round of 16. The sources added that Reyna apologized to the entire team for his lack of effort.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/gio-reyna-was-nearly-sent-home-from-usa-world-cup-per-reports-gregg-berhalter-reveals-what-happened-in-qatar/

Things got so bad, that Reyna narrowly avoided the team voting to send him home by a vote of 13-12, Jason McIntyre reports.  (This is amazing.  Definitely a divided team in Qatar.)

This is wild. Bad look forsure.

5 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

This is wild. Bad look forsure.

Gio came out and said his effort was poor because Gregg told him he wouldn’t have a huge role in Qatar. Obviously not a great look either way, but makes a little more sense.

Pretty poor move from the manager to drop all of this in the press though, after it was seemingly handled internally

4 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Gio came out and said his effort was poor because Gregg told him he wouldn’t have a huge role in Qatar. Obviously not a great look either way, but makes a little more sense.

Pretty poor move from the manager to drop all of this in the press though, after it was seemingly handled internally

Ya saw his post. I get it but having half the team almost vote you off the team just sounds crazy to me.

7 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ya saw his post. I get it but having half the team almost vote you off the team just sounds crazy to me.

I question the coach allowing the players even to vote on it.  It creates even a worse situation in the locker room.  The coach decides to send him or let him stay.

slufanskip likes this

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I question the coach allowing the players even to vote on it.  It creates even a worse situation in the locker room.  The coach decides to send him or let him stay.

How certain is it that there was actually a player vote?  I’ve seen some sources refute that. I agree that would be a strange way to decide a player’s future. 

also it’s incredibly outrageous to tell a player before the World Cup even starts that their role is going to be “very limited”. You’ve immediately put that player in a hole they have to dig themselves out of. And you don’t know what’s going to transpire in the tournament. Such a dumb thing to tell any player, let alone one of your best talents. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Ya but damn nearly equally as messed is 12 teammates wanting you off the team.  You really got to suck as a teammate to get that many votes

This was just a bad situation starting with Gregg telling him he wouldn’t play much to Gino’s immature reaction, to Gregg then leaking what happened.

Gio’s a kid who had literally just turned 20 days before getting told he won’t play much in something he’s worked his entire life towards. He reacted badly, but he apologized, owned up to his actions and was told all was forgiven. He didn’t gripe about his playing time afterwards. He shut his mouth and moved on. All in all, except for the poor initial reaction, I think he did fine

I was 75% on the keep Gregg bandwagon. However, leaking this was horrible leadership. How can players trust him after he said all is forgiven, then leaks the situation. In addition, when it first came out Gio’s name wasn’t attached. I saw numerous posts on line claiming it was other players and disparaging them. He opened other players up to scrutiny and allegations they shouldn’t have had to deal with. It shouldn’t have been made public. But, if you’re going to make it public and you’ve told Gio all was forgiven, have the balls to tell him what you’re going to do and man up and do it. Don’t take the chicken way. Gregg’s actions as the coach were far worse than Gio’s as a player. 

I can say without a shade of a doubt that you need to motivate your people before you send them out to play or to whatever they are supposed to do. Motivation is a combination of factors but the person you are talking with has to believe that you are going to do try to do the best you can for himself and all the other players. That is the way to get the best out of them.

To tell a young player who has worked a good portion of his life towards the goal of playing in the World Cup that he is not going to be used much in a game is a most incredibly idiotic thing to do. It pulls the rug from under the player's feet and leaves him totally unmotivated to do much more than going through the motions. How can you expect anything other than a negative reaction from the player, and why would you want to get him to apologize for something you (the coach) has caused.

Whatever else you can say about this coach, he certainly is not capable of motivating his troops to excel. Personally I think he is a moron.

The journalist that died on Quatar during a game, died of a hemopericardium. That means he had an undiagnosed aortic aneurysm that popped during the game, drained into the pericardium and effectively stopped the heart almost instantaneously. There was no foul play. The blood most likely drained into the thorax as well.

A ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm has an incredibly high mortality rate. Surgery to fix it prior to rupturing is pretty successful though. Screening for it is covered by insurance starting at age 65 for men who have a history of smoking, so it's very unlikely that it could have been found for Wahl prior to it rupturing. 

If any of you guys are eligible for screening, I definitely recommend it. It's just an ultrasound

4 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

A ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm has an incredibly high mortality rate. Surgery to fix it prior to rupturing is pretty successful though. Screening for it is covered by insurance starting at age 65 for men who have a history of smoking, so it's very unlikely that it could have been found for Wahl prior to it rupturing. 

If any of you guys are eligible for screening, I definitely recommend it. It's just an ultrasound

What an absolute insane set of circumstances and coincidences. This world, man.

On 12/13/2022 at 12:50 AM, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

It’s now being reported there was no vote among players. Possibly what Gio meant when he said highly fictionalized version of events. 

If that is correct and there was no player vote, how the hell come Gregg didn’t speak up and correct it. Maybe that’s how it’s coming out now, he leaked it lol

11 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It’s now being reported there was no vote among players. Possibly what Gio meant when he said highly fictionalized version of events. 

If that is correct and there was no player vote, how the hell come Gregg didn’t speak up and correct it. Maybe that’s how it’s coming out now, he leaked it lol

If the coach leaked this and made up the part about the player vote, that’s a total crap move. I’d say, if it’s true, then I don’t care how well they did on the field, time for a new coach.

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

If the coach leaked this and made up the part about the player vote, that’s a total crap move. I’d say, if it’s true, then I don’t care how well they did on the field, time for a new coach.

And I’m not sure obviously. And it may not have been told by Gregg that way. I did hear there was possibly a staff vote. Maybe a mistake was made. If that’s the case though, Gregg should have corrected the story immediately. A staff vote and 1/2 the players voting are entirety different 

44 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Gees. What a mess.