Recruiting - 2023

Pistol

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a full refresh on the 2023 offers, including updated rankings. Highlights since the last update:

-Tyshawn Archie got an offer from James Madison, his 14th. He'll play at Spire Institute in Ohio this year (he's from Houston).

-Samarion Bond was one of SLU's earliest offers but communication appears to have dried up. He's not getting other offers (not sure why), although interest continues to pile up slowly.

-Cameron Carr is visiting K-State this weekend. He just got an offer from UVA.

-Kennard Davis took an official visit to Sam Houston State. Bradley is his most recent offer, from one month ago.

-Jarred Hall received an offer from ETSU. He's up to 20 offers.

-Bryce Lindsay is visiting Villanova, Mississippi State, and Texas A&M in October. He's the one who had signed with South Carolina, graduated HS, got out of his LOI when the coaching change happened, reclassified as a 2023 recruit, and enrolled at IMG.

-Kyle Pock took official visits to Princeton, UNI, and Lipscomb. No inside info here but Princeton looks like the strongest contender to me right now.

-Jason Rivera-Torres has always been a weird one to me. The offer was quiet and I'm not sure it was ever committable, and now our coaches don't appear to even follow him on social media anymore. He seems more focused on acting - he's in Apple TV's series "Swagger". He's had almost no recruiting activity this year.

-Anthony Robinson blew up this summer. He's up to 20 offers, but none from power conferences. For that reason, SLU could still be in it. NC Central is the latest offer.

-Jahmere Tripp is another one I don't think SLU is actively recruiting anymore (can't confirm, just my read on it). He's got 14 offers and a lot of A10 interest.

My take on the offer list is that we have one more open scholarship on paper right now (there will be more in the spring after certain upperclassmen will not use all eligibility here) and I don't think it's going to any of these guys. SLU going hard after Kachi Nzeh makes me think they'd take a commitment from a big if he's the right fit. Robinson would be the closest to that, and he's so wide open right now I think SLU is just one of a bunch of names there until and unless he gives an indication he's narrowing things down.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

My take on the offer list is that we have one more open scholarship on paper right now (there will be more in the spring after certain upperclassmen will not use all eligibility here) and I don't think it's going to any of these guys

I agree.

Spring recruiting isn't as barren of a wasteland as it used to be. It is a lot easier for a coach to carry 2 or 3 open rides into the spring and fill it with a grad transfer, immediately eligible transfer, or an under-recruited/late qualifying HS guy. 

42 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-Pistol, I am not seeing what happened

In case the Twitter link isn't opening on your browser, Anthony Robinson just committed to South Florida. He's coming off a visit there. I had just cited him as the most in line with where I could see SLU going with that open scholarship, should we fill it in the fall.

2 hours ago, willie said:

As I have said before I think it's good to have one for a possible semester transfer. 

-I don't know the answer, how many of these happened last year or the year prior? does the number from the time before Covid matter? I remember Paul O'Liney going to Mizzou and being very successful for them as a semester transfer and that was years ago

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

In case the Twitter link isn't opening on your browser, Anthony Robinson just committed to South Florida. He's coming off a visit there. I had just cited him as the most in line with where I could see SLU going with that open scholarship, should we fill it in the fall.

-thank you

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

Did a full refresh on the 2023 offers, including updated rankings. Highlights since the last update:

-Tyshawn Archie got an offer from James Madison, his 14th. He'll play at Spire Institute in Ohio this year (he's from Houston).

-Samarion Bond was one of SLU's earliest offers but communication appears to have dried up. He's not getting other offers (not sure why), although interest continues to pile up slowly.

-Cameron Carr is visiting K-State this weekend. He just got an offer from UVA.

-Kennard Davis took an official visit to Sam Houston State. Bradley is his most recent offer, from one month ago.

-Jarred Hall received an offer from ETSU. He's up to 20 offers.

-Bryce Lindsay is visiting Villanova, Mississippi State, and Texas A&M in October. He's the one who had signed with South Carolina, graduated HS, got out of his LOI when the coaching change happened, reclassified as a 2023 recruit, and enrolled at IMG.

-Kyle Pock took official visits to Princeton, UNI, and Lipscomb. No inside info here but Princeton looks like the strongest contender to me right now.

-Jason Rivera-Torres has always been a weird one to me. The offer was quiet and I'm not sure it was ever committable, and now our coaches don't appear to even follow him on social media anymore. He seems more focused on acting - he's in Apple TV's series "Swagger". He's had almost no recruiting activity this year.

-Anthony Robinson blew up this summer. He's up to 20 offers, but none from power conferences. For that reason, SLU could still be in it. NC Central is the latest offer.

-Jahmere Tripp is another one I don't think SLU is actively recruiting anymore (can't confirm, just my read on it). He's got 14 offers and a lot of A10 interest.

My take on the offer list is that we have one more open scholarship on paper right now (there will be more in the spring after certain upperclassmen will not use all eligibility here) and I don't think it's going to any of these guys. SLU going hard after Kachi Nzeh makes me think they'd take a commitment from a big if he's the right fit. Robinson would be the closest to that, and he's so wide open right now I think SLU is just one of a bunch of names there until and unless he gives an indication he's narrowing things down.

Thought Kachi Nzeh is a Xavier commit?

18 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Thought Kachi Nzeh is a Xavier commit?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. SLU was making the full push for him but he chose Xavier. Which makes me think he's the kind of player they'll go ahead and use this last available scholarship on. Now that he's off the table, I don't think there's another Kachi Nzeh on our current offer list.

19 minutes ago, willie said:

Who was the St. Louis kid who went to Kentucky? Chatter had it that he was looking to possibly  transfer home at the semester. We did not have an opening. Whether we wanted him or not I have no idea . Just having that opening makes such  a transfer possible. 

Cam Fletcher. He transferred to Florida State after his year at Kentucky. Played at FSU last year.

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. SLU was making the full push for him but he chose Xavier. Which makes me think he's the kind of player they'll go ahead and use this last available scholarship on. Now that he's off the table, I don't think there's another Kachi Nzeh on our current offer list.

Agreed.  We only take bigs in the fall if they're ready to contribute right away.  Otherwise, we wait until the spring for a transfer.

9 hours ago, BACKHANDtheRICAN said:

I’m not sure what our staff is doing…all we need is a 6’9” power forward who can run, shoot, and jump out of the gym.

To get such a player all you need to do is to find a bottle or an old oil lamp with a genie trapped inside. Once you get the genie out and make your wish you can have your player.

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce Zhang - C, 7-1, 255 - Shenzhen, China (The Skill Factory) - Twitter: @zhngchn54175559
Offers: Saint Louis.

Interest: Indiana State, IUPUI, Southern Indiana, Chattanooga, Samford, Drexel, Elon, Coastal Carolina, Louisiana-Monroe, UC-Irvine, North Florida.

Latest News: Zhang received an offer from SLU. (10/11/22)

Scouting Report: Zhang is a big, mobile center who can stretch the floor with his ability to handle the ball, pass, and operate in the mid-range. He's strong and finishes at the rim with either hand. He gains separation with a spin move he can do in either direction. He's from China and played at Tsinghua University in Beijing, and came to the U.S. for a prep year at The Skill Factory.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Bruce Zhang - C, 7-1, 255 - Shenzhen, China (The Skill Factory) - Twitter: @zhngchn54175559
Offers: Saint Louis.

Interest: Indiana State, IUPUI, Southern Indiana, Chattanooga, Samford, Drexel, Elon, Coastal Carolina, Louisiana-Monroe, UC-Irvine, North Florida.

Latest News: Zhang received an offer from SLU. (10/11/22)

Scouting Report: Zhang is a big, mobile center who can stretch the floor with his ability to handle the ball, pass, and operate in the mid-range. He's strong and finishes at the rim with either hand. He gains separation with a spin move he can do in either direction. He's from China and played at Tsinghua University in Beijing, and came to the U.S. for a prep year at The Skill Factory.

He's a big dude. Wonder why all his bids are from mids and some rather low mids. Our guys must see something knowing you can't teach 7'1".