Jump to content

Recruiting - 2023


Pistol
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Getting the first visit of these four schools is huge.

Yet another reason to get down to campus for that women's soccer game against ND and make SLU's atmosphere as lively as possible while he's around.

I go back and forth about the advantages of being first or last in the visit game.  I think we have seen where it has worked making every place be compared to you or we have seen where the first visit is forgotten about and the last one wins.  I do think being in the middle is a big disadvantage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I go back and forth about the advantages of being first or last in the visit game.  I think we have seen where it has worked making every place be compared to you or we have seen where the first visit is forgotten about and the last one wins.  I do think being in the middle is a big disadvantage.

I hear you. However, it is possible to never be visited if you are last. The same can't be true for first. 

wgstl likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I go back and forth about the advantages of being first or last in the visit game.  I think we have seen where it has worked making every place be compared to you or we have seen where the first visit is forgotten about and the last one wins.  I do think being in the middle is a big disadvantage.

 

53 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I hear you. However, it is possible to never be visited if you are last. The same can't be true for first. 

^This is the risk. If the fit is good enough at an earlier place, the schedule doesn't always fully play out. I like getting them on campus sooner than later.

We've had players come on MMP and talk about going to SLU first and that ended up being the basis of comparison for the rest, and they eventually realize why it was their standard. So even if they go on the rest of the scheduled visits, it's not always a bad thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

^This is the risk. If the fit is good enough at an earlier place, the schedule doesn't always fully play out. I like getting them on campus sooner than later.

We've had players come on MMP and talk about going to SLU first and that ended up being the basis of comparison for the rest, and they eventually realize why it was their standard. So even if they go on the rest of the scheduled visits, it's not always a bad thing.

Winning a recruiting battle against Iowa, Xavier, and VCU would be really impressive.  Out of the 4 X worries me the most.  You know X better than anyone on the board.  I can't think of much SLU can offer that X doesn't have as well.  Both have nice facilities (Chaifetz & Cintas).  Both are Jesuit schools in "midwestern" (using the term loosely) cities.  Both have ace recruiters as coaches (Ford & Miller).  X has the trump card of being in the Big East.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Winning a recruiting battle against Iowa, Xavier, and VCU would be really impressive.  Out of the 4 X worries me the most.  You know X better than anyone on the board.  I can't think of much SLU can offer that X doesn't have as well.  Both have nice facilities (Chaifetz & Cintas).  Both are Jesuit schools in "midwestern" (using the term loosely) cities.  Both have ace recruiters as coaches (Ford & Miller).  X has the trump card of being in the Big East.

Iowa has the best ability to wow a recruit in a fall visit because of football. The other 3 don't have that advantage.

However, based on what looks like a strong push from Xavier down the stretch here, I wouldn't underestimate that program with the momentum of having a coach like Sean Miller back. They're going to win some major recruiting battles against higher-level programs than Iowa, VCU, and SLU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Iowa has the best ability to wow a recruit in a fall visit because of football. The other 3 don't have that advantage.

However, based on what looks like a strong push from Xavier down the stretch here, I wouldn't underestimate that program with the momentum of having a coach like Sean Miller back. They're going to win some major recruiting battles against higher-level programs than Iowa, VCU, and SLU.

Iowa worries me the most and it isn't because they are the BIG 10 school in group.  The kid seems really intelligent about the recruiting process and that if he has the talent to play in the NBA it won't matter if he is in the Big 10, Big East or the A10.  What scares me about Iowa is the Keegan Murray comp Nzeh brought up.  If Nzeh sees himself as a Keegan Murray (which honestly is a good comp based on body and skillset coming out of high school), the pull to go to the school where Murray arrived as a 3 star prospect and left as the 4th overall pick in the NBA draft could be strong.

cgeldmacher and Pistol like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

 If Nzeh sees himself as a Keegan Murray (which honestly is a good comp based on body and skillset coming out of high school), the pull to go to the school where Murray arrived as a 3 star prospect and left as the 4th overall pick in the NBA draft could be strong.

To be honest about this, anything could happen. We do not know which way this kid is thinking and have no way to find out. We have to wait and not lose sleep over this. If we get him it's great, if not, too bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

To be honest about this, anything could happen. We do not know which way this kid is thinking and have no way to find out. We have to wait and not lose sleep over this. If we get him it's great, if not, too bad.

This is the attitude that brings the Bills down. I say all Billiken fans forgo any sleep at all until he at least commits to SLU. We need to show we are serious about him coming here.  Who's in? 

thetorch likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

This is the attitude that brings the Bills down. I say all Billiken fans forgo any sleep at all until he at least commits to SLU. We need to show we are serious about him coming here.  Who's in? 

I am too old to lose sleep over anything, not that I didn't when I was much younger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

But the Newhart show in Vermont had the absolutely best final episode with ‘the Dean’ 

That was the only episode worth watching.......

 

The original Newhart show and the Mary Tyler Moore Show in reruns on channel 11 in Saint Louis were the best shows of my childhood...........

CBFan likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Bob Newhart was a great drinking show. ‘Hi Bob’ meant a time for a chug. 

But the Newhart show in Vermont had the absolutely best final episode with ‘the Dean’ 

which would have  been impossible w/o  the first   show:)

I liked both shows. Stephanie is one of top 10 characters in network sitcom history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

How I met your mother............Cheers (before coach died and Shelly Long left).........The original Bob Newhart show (not the abomination in in Vermont)

excellent choice in HIMYM. 

Billiken Rich likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Are you serious?  I'd rank her below Urkel and among the worst of the worst.  I'd rather watch Valerie Harper as Rhoda

wow. i hope you don't think i like the character she plays. i think she is vapid self centered  & that  she is funny character Bob, whose opinion would  seem to  trump both ours is proud of how he presented her in some of the books he's written. Was on cover of Parade this weekend!  

never watched urkel, but loved Rhoda & that whole cast. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two more names off the interest list: Carey Booth (SLU not in finalists) and Eddie Ricks (Morehead State).

I have at least ten names to add when I get the chance: Jamari Briggs, Yaxel Lendeborg, Jaylen Carey, Jadrian Tracey, Boden Kapke, Marcel Bryant, DaVeon Thomas, Joshua Jones, Akene Agee, Connor Dubsky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Two more names off the interest list: Carey Booth (SLU not in finalists) and Eddie Ricks (Morehead State).

I have at least ten names to add when I get the chance: Jamari Briggs, Yaxel Lendeborg, Jaylen Carey, Jadrian Tracey, Boden Kapke, Marcel Bryant, DaVeon Thomas, Joshua Jones, Akene Agee, Connor Dubsky.

Names get crazier every day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2022 at 10:46 AM, Pistol said:

Iowa has the best ability to wow a recruit in a fall visit because of football. The other 3 don't have that advantage.

However, based on what looks like a strong push from Xavier down the stretch here, I wouldn't underestimate that program with the momentum of having a coach like Sean Miller back. They're going to win some major recruiting battles against higher-level programs than Iowa, VCU, and SLU.

While there is a lot of energy at a home football game, it also demonstrates the monsterous gap between football and basketball in big football schools. Those huge football stadiums dwarf the basketball arenas. Fans care more about one field goal than anything that happens with the basketball program. Basketball is a second class sport at the big football schools. I would think there is a an attraction to being able to star in a schools top sport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

While there is a lot of energy at a home football game, it also demonstrates the monsterous gap between football and basketball in big football schools. Those huge football stadiums dwarf the basketball arenas. Fans care more about one field goal than anything that happens with the basketball program. Basketball is a second class sport at the big football schools. I would think there is a an attraction to being able to star in a schools top sport.

Maybe, but remember you are still playing in front of larger crowds at those places, and all you have to do is get to .500 in the conference to go dancing in the NCAA. Example, picking 3 random games from Ohio State home games last year (where I would argue that they care more about 1 field goal than the basketball team), they had 9,749 to watch an early season game against Niagara, 13,856 for a Big 10 game against Wisconsin, and 18,809 against Michigan. (Though to be fair, you could probably get that many Ohio fans to boo Michigan at a “Rock-Paper-Scissors” event).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...