Welcome to SLU Dion Wiley

35 minutes ago, TheOne said:

This speculation is accurate. Regardless, I’m a big believer in this roster.  I think this is the highest level of talent I’ve seen in Billiken Blue in 35+ years.

Same here but hope MP still arrives after a prep or JUCO stop...impressed with his character and commitment from what’s been written about him.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, TheOne said:

This speculation is accurate. Regardless, I’m a big believer in this roster.  I think this is the highest level of talent I’ve seen in Billiken Blue in 35+ years.

Was his change of heart before or after the Hankton commitment? 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Pearson deleted his SLU pinned tweet and other SLU info from his profile

He also started following Beckley Prep (WV) and their head coach on Twitter.

Ideally, he could do a prep year and recommit to SLU (even more ideally, stay committed but he's removed the SLU pinned tweet so that might mean we have to re-recruit him). This kid's potential is absolutely sky high and if we can't have him this year, I'd love to get him back in the fold next year. Problem is, if this program is going to get him more exposure, we may be fighting much bigger programs for his services this time around.

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

He also started following Beckley Prep (WV) and their head coach on Twitter.

Ideally, he could do a prep year and recommit to SLU (even more ideally, stay committed but he's removed the SLU pinned tweet so that might mean we have to re-recruit him). This kid's potential is absolutely sky high and if we can't have him this year, I'd love to get him back in the fold next year. Problem is, if this program is going to get him more exposure, we may be fighting much bigger programs for his services this time around.

On the flip side, a solid year (possibly ranked at some point with a good showing in the tourney) might make us look more attractive to him too. 

Much depends on if Pearson was the one who asked out or if he was the one who was having qualifying issues.  I wanted to see Pearson develop.  I think he has a high ceiling.  That said, I actually hope he is the one that asked out.  We might not lose anyone else if he is the one that asked out.

21 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Much depends on if Pearson was the one who asked out or if he was the one who was having qualifying issues.  I wanted to see Pearson develop.  I think he has a high ceiling.  That said, I actually hope he is the one that asked out.  We might not lose anyone else if he is the one that asked out.

This is what I am hoping for is that Pearson is both and our roster is set.  Our freshman guards will help out and will be our future when the GT’s finish their eligibility this season.

I am really excited about Thatch and Jacobs.

11 minutes ago, CBFan said:

This is what I am hoping for is that Pearson is both and our roster is set.  Our freshman guards will help out and will be our future when the GT’s finish their eligibility this season.

I am really excited about Thatch and Jacobs.

I *believe* Billiken Bob was referencing two difference players. 

The Pearson news is odd timing for wanting to get out of an LOI. Wish him the best and would love to see him back in the fold.  

Pure speculation on my part, as is everything else being posted since SLU is remaining close mouthed as usual, but I'm thinking qualifying issues that the staff might have been known about for a month or so. Makes sense that's why Travis and staff would pursue Hankton, who seems to possess the same skills and physical dimensions of Pierce. Like everyone else I was looking forward to seeing him in a Bills uniform as all the reports seemed to indicate he was a unique talent, ie 6'8", good handles, and could shoot from the perimeter. If he goes prep or JUCO and blows up, he'll certainly become a hot commodity next spring. Kind of a bad omen he took down all his SLU stuff indicating maybe he did opt out, however, can't fathom his reasoning for doing it this late in the game.

If there's another shoe to drop my pick(s) would be Jacobs because of Isabell's signing, or Thor having second thoughts about coming half way around the world to be the 10th or 11th man in the rotation.

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Pure speculation on my part, as is everything else being posted since SLU is remaining close mouthed as usual, but I'm thinking qualifying issues that the staff might have been known about for a month or so. Makes sense that's why Travis and staff would pursue Hankton, who seems to possess the same skills and physical dimensions of Pierce. Like everyone else I was looking forward to seeing him in a Bills uniform as all the reports seemed to indicate he was a unique talent, ie 6'8", good handles, and could shoot from the perimeter. If he goes prep or JUCO and blows up, he'll certainly become a hot commodity next spring. Kind of a bad omen he took down all his SLU stuff indicating maybe he did opt out, however, can't fathom his reasoning for doing it this late in the game.

If there's another shoe to drop my pick(s) would be Jacobs because of Isabell's signing, or Thor having second thoughts about coming half way around the world to be the 10th or 11th man in the rotation.

MP perhaps sees he will not get minutes.  So why waste a year on the bench?  Get a year in a prep school, play better competition, and if needed, shore up the academics .... and maybe upgrade your possible college landing spots.

46 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Is it possible that Ford found out that he had a couple grad transfers that could help and convinced Mickey that Prep School would be a great opportunity for him to improve his game?

That was my second thought. 

52 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Is it possible that Ford found out that he had a couple grad transfers that could help and convinced Mickey that Prep School would be a great opportunity for him to improve his game?

I don't buy this as a possibility, since Travis went out and signed Hankton, who seems to be a lesser talent. Why would he cast Mickey aside and risk reopening his recruitment if he blows up at a Prep school?  I'll stick with him as the non qualifier. Don't mean to disparage the KY school system, but it's not a stretch to think there might have been some holes in his academics.

On 6/4/2018 at 9:24 AM, Pistol said:

So the scholarship charts look like this, until we figure out who asked out of his LOI and who might not qualify:

SR: Bess, Foreman, Isabell, Wiley

JR: Santos

SO: Goodwin, French, Welmer

FR: Gordon, Thatch, Pearson, Gudmundsson, Jacobs, Hankton

Guards: Isabell, Wiley, Goodwin, Thatch, Gudmundsson, Jacobs

Wings: Bess, Welmer, Pearson, Hankton

Bigs: Foreman, Santos, French, Gordon

Yes, obviously 1-2 names will be missing soon. But man, you're right. Practices are going to be battles every single time. This is the most physical roster we've ever had.

If all the recent speculation that Pearson is the one player not coming, then we are at our 13 player limit.  I hope that is correct.  That means we are finished with 2018 recruiting and moving on to 2019. 

Looking at the above info you provided, I would like to see a Wing, Grad Transfer (first choice)--(Big, Grad Transfer-second choice).  I continue to think that this will be Welmer's last year which means we will only have Hankton from your list of Wings.  I do think it's possible that Thor or Thatch might be able to fill the Wing spot with Santos, French and Gordon rotating at the two Bigs. 

With the other three open slots, fill with the best available incoming FR.  How about Yuri, EJL (a potential starter at Wing as a FR) and a 4/5 to get prepared to fill the Santos slot?  I do think with all the pub the Post and even our game broadcasting station (101 FM) give to SPUMAC and the god known as C Martin, it's important to continue recruiting the Metro area well to dispel any notion that this is CM's area to control.

How much more fun is this to talk about recruiting under Ford and staff than it was just a couple of years ago???

Assuming we lose Pearson and pick up our two new GTs, how much better are we this year than we thought we would be just last week?  As Jon Rothstein writes, we have the best talent in the A-10 and I don't think it's even close.  Our depth is like never before-think about just last year when we had to rely on a walk-on quality guard for major minutes!  I don't think it is unrealistic to see this team winning the Conference and going a couple of rounds into the Tournament.  That success should translate into further recruiting gains. 

I say lock Ford and his Assistants into  better paying, longer-term contracts.  From what I have heard from some "somewhat inside sources" is that Ford and his family love St. Louis and at least Tate has strong family ties to this city.  I don't know much about the other two ACs but it seems like they have some strong recruiting ties outside the St. Louis Metro area (Jacobs, French, Foreman, Santos, Hankton and the two incoming GTs). 

May (or whoever is calling the shots)------Lock 'em all up and do it now, not after the season!

BillikenBoy10 and HenryB like this

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don't buy this as a possibility, since Travis went out and signed Hankton, who seems to be a lesser talent. Why would he cast Mickey aside and risk reopening his recruitment if he blows up at a Prep school?  I'll stick with him as the non qualifier. Don't mean to disparage the KY school system, but it's not a stretch to think there might have been some holes in his academics.

Well, for one thing as you said, Hankton is a lesser version.  Id be more certain on not getting MP if Hankton was better. 

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Bauman, according to Billiken Bob it's two FR who won't be on the roster, so it seems we still have one open scholarship right now.

Go back and read Bob's initial post in this thread.  He didn't say 2 FR won't be on the team.  He said one for sure and a second as a possibility-not for certain.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Bauman, according to Billiken Bob it's two FR who won't be on the roster, so it seems we still have one open scholarship right now.

That is not what I said.  I said it is a possibility.  This is why I rarely post here. 

There is one kid who wants a release and one who hasn't qualified--yet.  Travis has not advised anybody to leave.

rgbilliken likes this

12 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Again appreciate any sort of inside info.  If we only listened to local radio and read the local paper we wouldn't know what team looked like until midway through the first game of the season. 

Rich, agree completely!  The Post-Disgrace has now moved on from its love affair with MP Jr and CM to a new favorite player, Jontay P and of course his god-like Head Coach, CM.  Multiple pages of coverage over the past few days.

Listening to the K Wheeler show on 101 FM a couple of days ago he spent many segments on the Mizzou basketball program and how he viewed Martin as controlling the Metro area for recruiting-it made me sick.  Especially since this is the station that carries Billiken Basketball.

Poor little TF and Billiken basketball.  All they did the past 2 years is get the best player coming out of the Metro area both years (yes I consider Gordon as a better recruit than Watson this year and Goodwin to be clearly the #1 recruit the previous year).  And all of this without paying a pair of recruits' father an unbelievable sum to "coach!" at SPUMAC.

Wheeler really knows nothing but baseball and football.  Anything else is what somebody told him just before he went on the air.  I also go crazy over how the station that carries Billiken Basketball has talk show hosts who are so ill informed about the local basketball scene.  Once the Rams moved, these guys really do not know what to do with themselves because most of what they use as research is from national scribes.  They except for Randy K don't even think about the Billikens being on their station.