Welcome to SLU Dion Wiley

If this team performs up to its potential, Travis Ford can recruit to a “be the missing piece to a potential final 4 team.” That is a very different position than the past 2 years of recruiting pitches. It could be very interesting for a guy like Liddell. 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I can't believe people pay that guy money to read his opinions. Although I guess it's better than the alternative: Tigerboard. I don't think they've updated their chat forum format since the 20th century. 

The latest Missourian d bag rankings:

1. Eric Greitens

2. Stan Kroenke

3. Rush Limbaugh

4. Kenneth Lay

5. Gabe DeAlmonds

6. Eric Stonestreet

Dana Loesch

3 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

So by your reasoning, should we ignore your opinion as well? There was a lot of enthusiasm for the possible return of Isabel, before he signed with SLU. There is a lot of hatred for SLU at Power Mizzou, led by the admistrator, Gabe DeArmond. Reasonable fans on the site acknowledge the talent of Isabel. Not sure why you feel the need to be a smart ass?

That is my point, I don't think many Mizzou fans were enthusiastic about a possible return of Isabell. I don't believe there was any interest from either side on that one (correct me if I am wrong). If anything it looks like most fans wish him well since he was forced to live thru the Kim Anderson era and see SLU as a good fit (I think he is a great fit). I am not sure what I am being a smart ass about. I just don't like when people pass off a couple of posts on a message board as the pulse of a fan base. I hadn't paid much attention to Gabe posting about SLU, but going back to that thread he certainly makes a few backhanded comments and I do recall those comments he made on TMA (really lame comments), so I would agree that he appears to be a SLU hater to some extent (a little odd from a KC guy). As far as my opinion, I don't care if you or anyone else ignores it. Heck, my real name isn't TheChosenOne so whether anyone believes TheChosenOne and my time wasting posts doesn't matter to me. I assume most can Google Tramaine Isabell and Mizzou and find the maturity issues fairly easily.

42 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

That is my point, I don't think many Mizzou fans were enthusiastic about a possible return of Isabell. I don't believe there was any interest from either side on that one (correct me if I am wrong). If anything it looks like most fans wish him well since he was forced to live thru the Kim Anderson era and see SLU as a good fit (I think he is a great fit). I am not sure what I am being a smart ass about. I just don't like when people pass off a couple of posts on a message board as the pulse of a fan base. I hadn't paid much attention to Gabe posting about SLU, but going back to that thread he certainly makes a few backhanded comments and I do recall those comments he made on TMA (really lame comments), so I would agree that he appears to be a SLU hater to some extent (a little odd from a KC guy). As far as my opinion, I don't care if you or anyone else ignores it. Heck, my real name isn't TheChosenOne so whether anyone believes TheChosenOne and my time wasting posts doesn't matter to me. I assume most can Google Tramaine Isabell and Mizzou and find the maturity issues fairly easily.

Just the opposite, there were plenty on The Mizzou board who were interested in Isabel returning to Mizzou. Still don’t get your attitude. Someone asked about what was said on the Power Mizzou thread and I responded. I don’t pretend to know what every Mizzou fan thinks any more than you do. It’s a message board, relax.

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

If this team performs up to its potential, Travis Ford can recruit to a “be the missing piece to a potential final 4 team.” That is a very different position than the past 2 years of recruiting pitches. It could be very interesting for a guy like Liddell. 

Liddell, like most of the 2019 class, will make their decisions before practice even begins for this coming season.

I also struggle with any narrative that we are going to be better in 2 years than next year. We have 4 seniors on next years team and 2 of them are likely starters with 2 more likely contributors. Sure, if we add a bunch of elite freshmen or transfers we could be better but graduations alone will hurt, not to mention the potential for other people to leave the program for whatever reason.

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Liddell, like most of the 2019 class, will make their decisions before practice even begins for this coming season.

I also struggle with any narrative that we are going to be better in 2 years than next year. We have 4 seniors on next years team and 2 of them are likely starters with 2 more likely contributors. Sure, if we add a bunch of elite freshmen or transfers we could be better but graduations alone will hurt, not to mention the potential for other people to leave the program for whatever reason.

Agreed, especially if Welmer plays

41 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Anyone with knowledge of Gabe Dearmond knows he is a long time SLU hater. I could not tell you what the root of the hate is, but there is no doubt that it exists.

How about his ****** bag father.

5 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Settle down big guy. Big Bill fan simply provided a summary of that thread. The only one that seems to be jumping to conclusions around here is you.

5 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

So by your reasoning, should we ignore your opinion as well? There was a lot of enthusiasm for the possible return of Isabel, before he signed with SLU. There is a lot of hatred for SLU at Power Mizzou, led by the admistrator, Gabe DeArmond. Reasonable fans on the site acknowledge the talent of Isabel. Not sure why you feel the need to be a smart ass?

What am I missing here?

TheChoosenOne pointed out that it was reported  Isabel was an immature guy and possibly a bad teammate as an 18 year old kid at Mi$$our. He then points out he seems to have matured and had a monster season. He said some idiot Mizzou posters like didn't want him back and some did. 

What's the problem here? 

I haven't seen anything but positives about him here and that's all that matters.  I'm super pumped about his commitment and can't wait for the season. 

Oh and Gave DeArmond is a ******, I'd rather be forced to read the unreadable format of Tiger board for 5 hours than listen to or read Gabe for 5 minutes. 

GBL_Bills likes this

A lot of people in KC hate St. Louis for some reason.  I never understood it but could factor into Gabe's hate for SLU.  Even more reason why when Watson put the Arch behind his commitment it bugged me.  Columbia is not St. Louis.

As kshoe said, the strong team next year won't help us with 2019 but there are a lot of strong local kids in 2020.  3star use to say that he thought the big class locally was 2020 because we have more connections to the kids with Love at CBC with Tatum being a big one. 

19 minutes ago, dlarry said:

What am I missing here?

TheChoosenOne pointed out that it was reported  Isabel was an immature guy and possibly a bad teammate as an 18 year old kid at Mi$$our. He then points out he seems to have matured and had a monster season. He said some idiot Mizzou posters like didn't want him back and some did. 

What's the problem here? 

I haven't seen anything but positives about him here and that's all that matters.  I'm super pumped about his commitment and can't wait for the season. 

Oh and Gave DeArmond is a ******, I'd rather be forced to read the unreadable format of Tiger board for 5 hours than listen to or read Gabe for 5 minutes. 

A pretty good summary but you neglected to mention his snarky comments about posters here mischaracterizing Mizzou posters...that was a complete cheap shot.

7 minutes ago, HenryB said:

A pretty good summary but you neglected to mention his snarky comments about posters here mischaracterizing Mizzou posters...that was a complete cheap shot.

Fair enough.

I didn't think much of it but to each his own. 

Thanks for clarifying. 

49 minutes ago, dlarry said:

What am I missing here?

What's the problem here? 

The format really is garbage. 

That board is all around miserable.

14 minutes ago, Brighton said:

It's the little brother syndrome. Just like we hate Chicago, Boston-N.Y., etc.

It is actually different than the St. Louis-Chicago thing and the Boston-NYC thing.  That is only sports teams teams and is because those teams play each other all the time.  Take away the teams playing each other all the time and there isn't that hate.  People in Boston don't hate the Mets and people in St. Louis don't hate DePaul.  The KC hate for St. Louis extends to everything St. Louis and it is a visceral kind of hate.

11 hours ago, dlarry said:

What am I missing here?

What's the problem here? 

Thanks for making this point, and it's disappointing to see people jumping down TheChosenOne's throat and being condescending. He was providing legitimate background details as to why fans might be saying certain things, or why things shook out the way they did for this particular grad transfer. I'm not sure it's worth anything, but I will vouch for @TheChosenOne and his knowledge on this topic. It's solid.

I would also add that he ends his initial post on TI with a positive note, pointing out that he's developed since then and now has a chance to contribute and succeed in his senior season, and has major incentives for this last stop to work out - a professional career. Not to mention, he has an existing relationship with Tate.

Don't take some negative points from someone's past as a negative outlook on his future. That's not at all the point TCO was making.

HoosierPal likes this

48 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Thanks for making this point, and it's disappointing to see people jumping down TheChosenOne's throat and being condescending. He was providing legitimate background details as to why fans might be saying certain things, or why things shook out the way they did for this particular grad transfer. I'm not sure it's worth anything, but I will vouch for @TheChosenOne and his knowledge on this topic. It's solid.

I would also add that he ends his initial post on TI with a positive note, pointing out that he's developed since then and now has a chance to contribute and succeed in his senior season, and has major incentives for this last stop to work out - a professional career. Not to mention, he has an existing relationship with Tate.

Don't take some negative points from someone's past as a negative outlook on his future. That's not at all the point TCO was making.

Seems people are completely overanalyzing this situation. 

The only point of contention, in my opinion, was whether or not a few of us were claiming that a small sample size posting in the Powermizzou Isabell thread reflected the opinions of the entire Mizzou fanbase. I believe that was the way TheChosenOne interpreted it initially. That wasn't the case.

I think we can chalk this one up to lost in internet chat forum translation and move on. I don't think there's a person on here that didn't appreciate TheChosenOne's input on Isabell's background and his relationship with Mizzou fans.

13 hours ago, kshoe said:

I don't know about better, but I don't necessarily see much drop off due to natural progression of high ceiling players like French and Gordon.  

13 hours ago, kshoe said:

Yeah I was a year off on the Liddell thing. Spring of next year would be the first recruiting period that any success would be realized by the team on the court. 

At this point, I would say 2018-2019 is a season where the team should make the NCAA and possibly flirt with an appearance in the Top 25. Easily top 3 in the conference. After that, barring something crazy, you return a team with Gordon-French-Goodwin still as the pillars. The loss of Bess will for sure hurt. Isabell, seemingly at this point, would hurt as well. But you'd also have Santos, Thatch, and  (hopefully) one of the Thor/Hankskton/Jacobs trio that would be filling roles. I think that team, if Goodwin/French/Gordon improve as their potential indicates, is a top 25 preseason team with 3 stars, 3 really good big men, and looking to plug and play a wing or two into the rotation. 

TheOne likes this

JMM28, you might have been off on the timing of the Liddell recruiting but I would hope he can see the potential of this Billiken team a couple of years down the road AND also see how we could use a starting Wing once Bess leaves.(See Pistol's chart)  I know some recruiting sites list Liddell as a Power Forward , but assuming that he is able to reach the NBA, I think his position in that league is a 2 or 3.

HenryB likes this

3 hours ago, SShoe said:

I don't know about better, but I don't necessarily see much drop off due to natural progression of high ceiling players like French and Gordon.  

I agree but think we could be better. The current sophs and frosh will be upper classmen and we will have continued to recruit at a high level.

SShoe likes this

1 hour ago, bauman said:

JMM28, you might have been off on the timing of the Liddell recruiting but I would hope he can see the potential of this Billiken team a couple of years down the road AND also see how we could use a starting Wing once Bess leaves.(See Pistol's chart)  I know some recruiting sites list Liddell as a Power Forward , but assuming that he is able to reach the NBA, I think his position in that league is a 2 or 3.

Isn't Liddell the perfect 4 in today's game at the college level? I am not sure whether he can be a 4 in the NBA (looking at the size of most power forwards in the NBA, probably not), but I think where the game is moving you see more 3/4 type guys having success (see a lot of hybrid forward types, Marcus Morris comes to mind). I am not sure I see him ever being a 2 given what his strengths are. I realize even using these numbers for positions is kind of going away, but he is a pretty ideal stretch big at the college level and then a hybrid forward type at the NBA level. Is anyone hearing who the leaders are for him? I keep hearing/seeing Ohio State mentioned which would be a good fit for his game.

Pistol likes this

To get back to the topic of this thread, I am very excited about Dion Wiley.  I think this was a major need for us (maybe "major" is a bit dramatic, but maybe it is not).

I bet this addition will win us at least 1-2 more games this year.  The ability to add a competent shooter and competent guard with real upside (incremental improvement in shooting percentage and/or incremental health/explosiveness improvement) is something our team really needed.

I previously thought we NEEDED Thatch/Jacobs to be ready to be a meaningful contributor this year.  I know still hope for that, but we at least have a contingency plan if it does not happen.