Welcome to SLU Dion Wiley

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

Wileys numbers are a little odd.  Appears hes actually a pretty efficient scorer, who just doesn't shoot enough.

One of the strangest stats I have ever seen comes with our new Graduate Transfer, 9 free throw attempts in 608 minutes, over 28 games.  That is 1 FTA every 3 games, or 1 FTA in every 68 minutes of action.  This suggests that he is a pure pull up jump shooter and doesn't go into traffic to attack the rim.

I'm not going to do the research, but I wonder if Pistol can come up with someone who played regular minutes with fewer FTA per game last year.  

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

One of the strangest stats I have ever seen comes with our new Graduate Transfer, 9 free throw attempts in 608 minutes, over 28 games.  That is 1 FTA every 3 games, or 1 FTA in every 68 minutes of action.  This suggests that he is a pure pull up jump shooter and doesn't go into traffic to attack the rim.

I'm not going to do the research, but I wonder if Pistol can come up with someone who played regular minutes with fewer FTA per game last year.  

This is using a database (Real GM) that excludes limited time players so should work for the question (all the players with low FTA totals per minute are guards):

The lowest FT per Minute  out of the 2000+ players is Dillon Avare (Eastern Kentucky)  2-2FTs in 560 mins.

Tum Tum Nairn of Michigan St. is 3rd with 5 FTs in 586 minutes but is included as I wanted to write Tum Tum.

Wiley is 19th but the order seems to be FTA per game (I cannot directly rank the FT per minute)

HoosierPal likes this

15 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

If another spot opens, I'm hoping for a full court press on Lagerld Vick.  He recently pulled out of the draft without a landing spot at KU.  He would dominate in the A10.

i always enjoy your patronizing suggestions that let us know that even the kansas walkons would be billiken stars.   this guy is obviously more than a walkon, but still if he was all that good, why wouldnt self get him back?   

29 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

If another spot opens, I'm hoping for a full court press on Lagerld Vick.  He recently pulled out of the draft without a landing spot at KU.  He would dominate in the A10.

Wow, I didn't realize that was the case. So Kansas wouldn't take him back? Vick can play, he will likely have a lot of options.

Roy when I said that I was correct.  It was one of the low points in SLU basketball.  Rick Majerus obviously changed that.  I saw Kwamain Mitchell his freshman year and realized Majerus was recruiting different level players.  Jordair is one of my favorite players to watch ever.  Travis Ford is recruiting at a higher level as well.  KU wanted Gordon and Ford got him.  

Vick got caught in a numbers crunch.  KU has K.J. Lawson, Quentin Grimes, Charlie Moore, Devon Dotson, Marcus Garrett at the guard position.  Vick wouldn't get a lot of playing time and would look elsewhere.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

1 hour ago, kwyjibo said:

This is using a database (Real GM) that excludes limited time players so should work for the question (all the players with low FTA totals per minute are guards):

The lowest FT per Minute  out of the 2000+ players is Dillon Avare (Eastern Kentucky)  2-2FTs in 560 mins.

Tum Tum Nairn of Michigan St. is 3rd with 5 FTs in 586 minutes but is included as I wanted to write Tum Tum.

Wiley is 19th but the order seems to be FTA per game (I cannot directly rank the FT per minute)

Thanks for doing the research, kwyjibo. I didn't feel like doing the homework assignment HoosierPal gave me.

He took 5.3 shots per game at Maryland, 3.5 (66%) of which were from the perimeter. He's just not going to draw many fouls if that's where his shots are coming from.

However, part of the impetus for his transfer was that he wanted to get more involved offensively, to prove himself as a ball handler and playmaker and show a more complete all-around game. Hopefully that's exactly what he is able to do here, and he feels like he's able to show his potential.

HoosierPal likes this

Why should an incoming recruit opt out because of a grad-transfer recruit who's going to be there only his freshman year?

Whatever school you go to, there are going to be players ahead of you in class.  If not, and they're all freshmen like yourself, your team is likely to be rather awful.  Having a senior at your position is better than having a sophomore in front of you at your position.

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, I'm operating under the assumption he gets a second medical redshirt. He has applied for one, and I don't see why he wouldn't get it.

We never got an announcement about Jermaine Bishop, either. I figure I just have to go with the best information I have, and make the most reasonable assumptions. Of course I'll update as soon as there's any news.

you da man keep up good work you do for us here

40 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Wonder when we find out who won't be on the Bills roster next year?

Well, maybe someone who is on campus can tell us which of the frosh are on campus.  Understand CG is present.  Have not heard if MP, FT, IG, DJ, or KH have arrived.  And no announcement on KH signing a Letter of Intent. That is a bit strange.  Would have expected it to be in by now.

Surprised if CG is the only one moved in, since the first session summer classes started 5-21-18.  Next session starts 6-18-18 so assuming those frosh who will be on the team will be on campus by then.  But that is 2 weeks, long time to wait.

28 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Well, maybe someone who is on campus can tell us which of the frosh are on campus.  Understand CG is present.  Have not heard if MP, FT, IG, DJ, or KH have arrived.  And no announcement on KH signing a Letter of Intent. That is a bit strange.  Would have expected it to be in by now.

Surprised if CG is the only one moved in, since the first session summer classes started 5-21-18.  Next session starts 6-18-18 so assuming those frosh who will be on the team will be on campus by then.  But that is 2 weeks, long time to wait.

Final date for signing an LOI was May 16th it looks like so I believe Hankton will just sign a financial aid agreement.  

8 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Pearson deleted his SLU pinned tweet and other SLU info from his profile

I had a feeling when Bob said “recruit the area” and slu signed KC that it might be Mickey. Think he could be really good. Wonder what happened, if speculation is correct. 

18 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Pearson deleted his SLU pinned tweet and other SLU info from his profile

That makes sense.  Unless Thor had a change of heart about coming over to play college, somebody who signed in the early period made the most sense and Bob said it wasn't Gordon and I would've been surprised if it was Thatch.  Disappointing, was looking forward to seeing him but as others have said, there isn't a recruit signed that doesn't have the chance to be a solid contributor.  Will help balance out the class some though.