Welcome Thor! Cue the Pitbull

4 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I took a few notes during the interview, but more was covered than just this. I didn't have time to take note on every question, but to me, these were the most interesting.

On Thor:
-Ford went to Iceland to scout him and meet his family.
-Thor took a recruiting visit here and signed yesterday.
-Ford never discussed what kind of player he is. The next question went to the recruiting class overall.

On class:
-Ford says it's a very versatile group.
-They will make an impact on this season.
-While versatile, they all bring the ability to shoot.

On French:
-French will play some 4 next year.
-He will be able to take players off the dribble, but they are also working on his jump shot.
-They are working on the mechanics of his free throw shot.

I listened to the tape of the interview.  RadioBoy caught the most important issues.  

The first question from the Fast Lane was "with such a short bench, who stepped up this year".  Ford first mentioned Roby, citing his leadership on the floor and his scoring, then Bess, for his leadership in the locker room, and Hines for 'a great job keeping the guys together."  He also said everyone stepped up to an extent.

Interesting next question by the FL, "how hard has it been to recruit with what all happened last season?"  Ford "Actually it is easy to recruit when you have multiple openings."  "We have been selective in who we have gone after."  He used the term "Join our family" as a continuation of Team Blue.

Brad Thompson suggested that instead of recruiting in Iceland, he pick Fiji, Tahiti or Hawaii next time.

Interesting question by the FL,  "after the situation came up at SLU, Gordon was quoted as saying he may have to re-evaluate his committment to SLU."  Ford, there has been no conversation with Gordon on him waivering.  So cross that one off your list.

They have started individual workouts, and yes, French is working on both his outside shot and his FT.  "We are tweaking his mechanics."

Finally, Randy K said of Gundmundsson "If he gets the ball at the end of the game, does he become "the Iceman"? 

Pistol and CBFan like this

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look up the league he is playing.  He's the only teenager getting major minutes in the league.  There are some seasoned American pros playing there.  His teammate J'Nathan Bullock was just as good a college player as any we have had recently, including Jett, Conklin, & Evans and has played well in more prestigious leagues.  It is grown man's league.  Most starters are 24+ and the american imports are all in their primes 28-32 years old.

With this signing Thor just took over the top spot on my favorite things about iceland list. It now reads

1. Thor 

2. Glaciers

3. Bjork

4. Hot Springs

It also upped the odds of me booking a 150$ flight to Iceland via Wow Air by 72%.

9 minutes ago, dlarry said:

With this signing Thor just took over the top spot on my favorite things about iceland list. It now reads

1. Thor 

2. Glaciers

3. Bjork

4. Hot Springs

It also upped the odds of me booking a 150$ flight to Iceland via Wow Air by 72%.

You left off the Northern Lights!!!!

48 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Any word on how to pronounce his first name?  And what is the preferred English spelling of his full name?

13 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Ing-vee is my best guess.  Ing as in the first syllable in the word English.

That's probably what most people will go with, I'd think. But I think there's a little more of an "ee" sound in the beginning instead of just "ing", based on this guide to hard-to-pronounce names I found for Euro 2016. They list Arnor Ingvi Traustason - Ar-nor Eeng-vee Troy-sta-son.

A little background on his name. It's basically a traditional tribal/ethnic name, but has some mythological ties, too: "Yngvi is another name for the god Freyr who is also known as Yngvi-Freyr. According to Snorri, from him the Swedish royal dynasty of the Ynglingar took its name. The Ynglingar bore the name Yngvi or Ynguni as an honorary name."

So basically we have a straight-up Viking on the team now and when you add that to a roster that already has a werewolf (French), we have to be considered one of the more dangerous teams in the country next season.

we will likely know by christmas

as pistol states, we have to have faith in ford.  he has not let us down on anyone he has brought in yet imo.

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I listened to the tape of the interview.  RadioBoy caught the most important issues.  

The first question from the Fast Lane was "with such a short bench, who stepped up this year".  Ford first mentioned Roby, citing his leadership on the floor and his scoring, then Bess, for his leadership in the locker room, and Hines for 'a great job keeping the guys together."  He also said everyone stepped up to an extent.

Interesting next question by the FL, "how hard has it been to recruit with what all happened last season?"  Ford "Actually it is easy to recruit when you have multiple openings."  "We have been selective in who we have gone after."  He used the term "Join our family" as a continuation of Team Blue.

Brad Thompson suggested that instead of recruiting in Iceland, he pick Fiji, Tahiti or Hawaii next time.

Interesting question by the FL,  "after the situation came up at SLU, Gordon was quoted as saying he may have to re-evaluate his committment to SLU."  Ford, there has been no conversation with Gordon on him waivering.  So cross that one off your list.

They have started individual workouts, and yes, French is working on both his outside shot and his FT.  "We are tweaking his mechanics."

Finally, Randy K said of Gundmundsson "If he gets the ball at the end of the game, does he become "the Iceman"? 

-thanks for the recap, if you have a link to the interview I would appreciate it, thanks

2 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

This will officially give us the top recruiting class in the a10

im guessing that was clinched the day that gordon signed his loi.

If you want to see him play, watch the games he played in the FIBA U20.....they are online. Just click the link and skim through the games. He's number six. https://www.google.com/search?q=fiba+u20+iceland+youtube&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS737US737&oq=fiba+u20+iceland+youtube&aqs=chrome..69i57.4668j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on

6'3" point guard - decent handle. Pretty slender. Likes to shoot. Didn't shoot well at this tournament but you never know.

Zink likes this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The Blue Lagoon looks awesome and the woman are supposedly let's say "friendly".

Iceland is so small, they have a dating app that tells you if the person you're interested in is your cousin.

I guess foreign visitors are appealing in that there's no possibility of incest.

DirtyRican likes this

13 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Iceland is so small, they have a dating app that tells you if the person you're interested in is your cousin.

I guess foreign visitors are appealing in that there's no possibility of incest.

Their also a country that many long term medical studies are conducted because of the genetic purity.

21 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

isnt it Iceland that's giving tax breaks or some sort of incentive for males to move to iceland to have kids?