Grad Transfer & JUCO Tracker

ACE

Mark seems like a Ford kind of player.  I have not read or seen anything to explain his weak performance.

Sometimes a new start and a year on the sidelines gets a player back on track.  On the other hand there are a lot of highly rated prospects who never play up to their recruiting rating.  I hope he is careful in selecting his next school and that it works out for him.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-so what is this rift being reported with Smith and JGood? I trust CFord would know something about this or explore it before entertaining Smith

i dont think there is rift.   i just dont think they are friends.   i dont  think they played together in aau and e-ville and althoff didnt even play each other.

Article on Smith's transfer. Key quotes:

"I just don't fit the system. I wish all the players the best of luck, but I just don’t fit the system. Coach Underwood, he’s going to get people that fit his system."

"I love the University of Illinois. I love that I was excited going there. It just wasn’t meant to be. I wish the program the best of luck. I wish coach Underwood and his staff, all my teammates, the best of luck."

I don’t have any timetable set,” Smith said. “I really haven’t talked to any schools yet because this just happened. … I’m just going to make sure I get the right fit this time, the right system.”

Smith said Whitman placed no restrictions on the transfer options. “He didn’t block any schools from me at all,” Smith said of the Illini AD.

“A little bit,” Smith said of disappointment in that stat line. “But I know I have a new chapter coming somewhere else. I’m going to go to a school where I fit in better than I did here.”

44 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont think there is rift.   i just dont think they are friends.   i dont  think they played together in aau and e-ville and althoff didnt even play each other.

They played senior year in Collinsville Holiday Tourney final. 

Edited by FromDaEastSide
Correct game

Naturally, college basketball fans in the St. Louis area wonder about Smith's interest in St. Louis University and Missouri, where he committed to play baseball before his meteoric rise as a basketball prospect.

"I never got recruited by SLU," Smith said ."Missouri was up there."

Asked if he would consider either now, Smith declined to comment.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/edwardsville-star-smith-will-seek-better-fit-after-transferring-from/article_c935584c-52dc-5625-a99a-22a948b5f400.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

7 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Naturally, college basketball fans in the St. Louis area wonder about Smith's interest in St. Louis University and Missouri, where he committed to play baseball before his meteoric rise as a basketball prospect.

"I never got recruited by SLU," Smith said ."Missouri was up there."

Asked if he would consider either now, Smith declined to comment.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/edwardsville-star-smith-will-seek-better-fit-after-transferring-from/article_c935584c-52dc-5625-a99a-22a948b5f400.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

"Cuonzo Martin has actually been recruiting me for about three months now."

11 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-do we know why we didn't recruit him? pretty classy, or pretty dumb,  move by UofI to have no restrictions on where he can transfer, considering one potential team is on their schedule

The way he played this year I'd like him on a team I play against.

Smith was way over hyped. Uk was offering him scholarships. It was ridiculous.

brianstl and AGB91 like this

Another intriguing grad transfer option - a pg from USC Upstate. Excellent 3-point shooter and outstanding a/to rate. From DC, so that's A-10 territory. Averaged 13 ppg.

I really hope we explore the grad transfer market for a shooter if we can't find one in the juco ranks.

Student-athletes who have graduated are subject to the same release requirements as undergraduates and must have at least one year of eligibility remaining. To be eligible for the one-time transfer exception, football, basketball, baseball and men’s ice hockey student athletes must have been denied a scholarship renewal at their original school. If the student-athlete wishes to pursue a degree program not offered at the original institution, he or she is eligible for a waiver to compete immediately at the new school.

Something tells me there's some wiggle room with this requirement, that if an athlete wishes to become a graduate transfer, there's a good chance he can get his scholarship renewal denied.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/get-facts-about-transfers

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

Something tells me there's some wiggle room with this requirement, that if an athlete wishes to become a graduate transfer, there's a good chance he can get his scholarship renewal denied.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/get-facts-about-transfers

Thanks, Box.  So it's not necessarily a requirement that the degree program not be offered at the new school.