Grad Transfer & JUCO Tracker

ACE

43 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Watanabe is a Senior at GW. Maybe he could be interested in doing a grad transfer to SLU? Just raw speculation, but wouldn't it be nice? 

pretty sure watanabe has now used all his eligibility up.   at least i hope so.   i seems like he has been at GW for a million years as it is.  

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think watatabe is kinda a whiney crybaby.   our team seems to be more a group of devoted tough guys (see the move magnificent seven).   that win because they are fearless and out work the other team.   he doesnt fit.  

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

OK you may well be correct Roy, but if he is not eligible for any additonal play there is no point. I agree we have a tough bunch that sticks together and believes in "Blue." Ford is a great leader as well as a great coach.

OG, just a minor correction for you.  A couple of times in the past few days you have referred to the team motto as "Blue."  Actually they refer to themselves as "Team Blue."  Just fyi

I am referring to it as "Blue" because at the time of the Senior ceremony, Ford expanded the concept  of Team blue to  "Blue" which includes the athletic staff, and the fans. Yes you and I are part of "Blue" and proud to be part of it, as we should all be.

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

https://gradtransfertracker.com/potential-transfers-1/

Grad transfer site.  It should blow up in the next few weeks.  Hover over Basketball Transfer and you will get the short list of those already commited.

I wish the VerbalCommits list would differentiate between transfers and grad transfers. They do a good job of keeping it updated, though.

I think the two most interesting names on that list from a SLU standpoint, so far, are probably Calixte and Cunningham.  They are both shorter 3 point shooting combo guards.  The one red flag with Calixte would be his high turnover level.  A negative assist to turnover ratio from a combo guard is scary when you are talking about how a player might translate taking a step up in competition.  

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting that Graves is on the Verbal Commits transfer list and Bishop isn't. 

Bishop hasn't officially said he's transferring. As far as official rosters are concerned, he's suspended for two years.

I didn't see the PG, Austin, from Vandy on that list. I thought he was eligible to be a Grad Transfer? I realize he's not a world beater, but we really need a serviceable PG to give J Great (I like that moniker)  6-8 minutes breather. Doesn't need to be a great scorer. A good assist guy who can thread the needle on inside passes, have good handles, drive and kick out, play under control, and hit an occasional 3. Is that asking too much of a spring recruit? Someone like a John Redden would be nice. If you're out there call T. Ford, HC Saint Louis University, St. Louis, MO.

I looked up a few of the guards. Tre Campbell from Georgetown looks like he could fill the bill. According to 247 he was a 4 star in HS. Don't know what happened to him at GU, didn't play all that much, but again we're not looking for a McD All American. One thing about this list, most of the players were reserves who are looking to go to a place and get more minutes. Not sure what we're offering is going to appeal to the majority of them. Another PG is the kid from Cal, Chauca, a 3 star in HS who's from So. Carolina. Only 5'9".

Enough from me. I'm sure our staff has scoped out this list and will either pass or pursue.

44 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I didn't see the PG, Austin, from Vandy on that list. I thought he was eligible to be a Grad Transfer? 

Not saying he is going to, but at this point in time he hasnt announced his plans.  

13 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Not saying he is going to, but at this point in time he hasnt announced his plans.  

Have we thought about the fact that he might not be graduating in May and therefore would not be immediately eligible if he transferred to SLU?  Maybe he needs another semester at Vandy to graduate, or at least a summer semester.

Same situation as we have with DJF and JB.  With possibly losing some credits when transferring they might not be on pace to graduate in 4 years.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I didn't see the PG, Austin, from Vandy on that list. I thought he was eligible to be a Grad Transfer? I realize he's not a world beater, but we really need a serviceable PG to give J Great (I like that moniker)  6-8 minutes breather. Doesn't need to be a great scorer.

A serious question here.  How do you approach Austin,  a GT and tell him, come to SLU - "we think you can give us 6 to 8 minutes a game as a backup PG".  Yeah, yeah - we will make the NCAA tourney (no guarantee), which many teams will be saying at this time.

6 to 8 minutes is likely what Austin would get at Vandy with Garland coming in.  With Shittu also in and Langford a possibility, Vandy could make the NCAA next year as well as SLU.  Why wouldn't me go somewhere and get 20+ minutes?

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Bishop hasn't officially said he's transferring. As far as official rosters are concerned, he's suspended for two years.

Okay that's kind of what I thought.  Was Bishop's name linked by Rosenblum to a two year suspension?  Didn't he say some were 18 months, some 2 years?  I forgot and don't want to go back to find out.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

A serious question here.  How do you approach Austin,  a GT and tell him, come to SLU - "we think you can give us 6 to 8 minutes a game as a backup PG".  Yeah, yeah - we will make the NCAA tourney (no guarantee), which many teams will be saying at this time.

6 to 8 minutes is likely what Austin would get at Vandy with Garland coming in.  With Shittu also in and Langford a possibility, Vandy could make the NCAA next year as well as SLU.  Why wouldn't me go somewhere and get 20+ minutes?

I just said, I didn't see him on the list. And if you'd read my whole post you'd have seen where I said most of these GT's want to play and get more minutes. If that's what Austin wants he's likely not going to get it here.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Good points about SLU may not be the best spot for him but I wonder if he is talented enough to get 20 minutes anywhere?

I would think that anyone who has been in college for four years .... who has already gone to two different schools ... is going to be a little smarter in terms of recruiting malarkey and be able to read between the lines.  To me, what's my grad degree going to be.  It has to be a degree currently not offered a the college you are graduating from.  Second, where am I from and does that matter?  I think this guy is from Springfield, Illinois.  IS St. Louis close enough and does that even matter?  I look at the current roster and I see no guards ... Jordan Goodwin notwithstanding.  And even if Godwin is back, I have a different skill set.  And then, the supporting cast.  THAT supporting cast!  French.  Bess.  Santos.  Gordon.  Can I go far there?  Hell yeah.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay that's kind of what I thought.  Was Bishop's name linked by Rosenblum to a two year suspension?  Didn't he say some were 18 months, some 2 years?  I forgot and don't want to go back to find out.

I'm not sure if it even matters whether it was 3 semesters or 4. Bishop already hasn't played since December 2016 and wouldn't be able to play again at SLU until 2020...right? He probably isn't finding a hot market for his services but I can't imagine it's better for him to stay than go.

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm not sure if it even matters whether it was 3 semesters or 4. Bishop already hasn't played since December 2016 and wouldn't be able to play again at SLU until 2020...right? He probably isn't finding a hot market for his services but I can't imagine it's better for him to stay than go.

Unless they reduced his suspension much like Goodwin’s. He still has “St. Louis University Basketball #11” in all his social media bios. So the optimist in me hopes there was just never an announcement of the length of his reduced punishment and he wants to stay

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

I just said, I didn't see him on the list. And if you'd read my whole post you'd have seen where I said most of these GT's want to play and get more minutes. If that's what Austin wants he's likely not going to get it here.

I mean sure, thats everyones plan.  But other things factor into it as well.  Playing close to home for family.  Playing for a team who is expecting post season. Getting a fresh start.   Slu Checks off a few of these thing e.i. fresh start, close to home, possible  tourney bound team, not a ton of experienced depth at guard.