Grad Transfer & JUCO Tracker

ACE

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's hard to say Iowa was a bad decision for him, as he did indeed step in, start as a freshman, and make significant contributions. The frustrating thing for him is that he hasn't been surrounded by good players. When you commit to a school and coach, you expect that guy to hold up his end of the bargain and put together a solid roster. Iowa has nothing in the junior and senior classes above Cook. Their top 6 scorers are freshmen and sophomores. They had some players when he was recruited and last year, but there's a 2-year gap now until his class and that's where coaches get in trouble. Only one of the two signed players will be an instant contributor, so it's hard to say Iowa will make much of a jump next season. They wouldn't be losing anyone, so they'd be better from everyone being a year older and more experienced, but they're still mid-level Big Ten at best.

So now Cook has to wonder whether his class and the one behind him will be rewarded for their patience by the time he's a senior, or whether his frustration is reason enough to bail now and find a place where he can both win and elevate his game. Because yes, he does have work to do on his own game, too, and even though he's the leading scorer and rebounder there, he hasn't shown as much overall development as he could or should have.

I have to believe he's leaving. There's rarely this much smoke around a player possibly leaving at this point in the season, and he doesn't end up going. His quote was telling, too.

As for whether SLU is in the mix, if he wants to be closer to home, then we have to be one of the logical destinations. He's 4 hours away currently, and there aren't many D-I programs closer. A couple Big Ten schools are, but it's unlikely he'd be able to transfer within the conference. Mizzou seems like the obvious frontrunner. On paper, he'd sit a year and then replace Foreman on our roster. But assuming French and Gordon and Santos are still around, would we have the immediate minutes he wants? Mizzou has more near-term frontcourt turnover, while we appear to have a solid frontcourt core already.

There's also the E.J. Liddell question. He'd be entering college as Cook becomes eligible to play again. I think the long-term move for him is to play more of a 3-4 than a true power forward role, and I think Ford could sell him on that. He's said to be the top priority for Mizzou in 2019. Just something to consider.

-this sounds like he went to a program where the cupboard was fairly empty and then he expected it to fill and it hasn't, the status of the roster on signing day shouldn't have been news to him and his family, or am I taking this incorrectly?

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's hard to say Iowa was a bad decision for him, as he did indeed step in, start as a freshman, and make significant contributions. The frustrating thing for him is that he hasn't been surrounded by good players. When you commit to a school and coach, you expect that guy to hold up his end of the bargain and put together a solid roster. Iowa has nothing in the junior and senior classes above Cook. Their top 6 scorers are freshmen and sophomores. They had some players when he was recruited and last year, but there's a 2-year gap now until his class and that's where coaches get in trouble. Only one of the two signed players will be an instant contributor, so it's hard to say Iowa will make much of a jump next season. They wouldn't be losing anyone, so they'd be better from everyone being a year older and more experienced, but they're still mid-level Big Ten at best.

So now Cook has to wonder whether his class and the one behind him will be rewarded for their patience by the time he's a senior, or whether his frustration is reason enough to bail now and find a place where he can both win and elevate his game. Because yes, he does have work to do on his own game, too, and even though he's the leading scorer and rebounder there, he hasn't shown as much overall development as he could or should have.

I have to believe he's leaving. There's rarely this much smoke around a player possibly leaving at this point in the season, and he doesn't end up going. His quote was telling, too.

As for whether SLU is in the mix, if he wants to be closer to home, then we have to be one of the logical destinations. He's 4 hours away currently, and there aren't many D-I programs closer. A couple Big Ten schools are, but it's unlikely he'd be able to transfer within the conference. Mizzou seems like the obvious frontrunner. On paper, he'd sit a year and then replace Foreman on our roster. But assuming French and Gordon and Santos are still around, would we have the immediate minutes he wants? Mizzou has more near-term frontcourt turnover, while we appear to have a solid frontcourt core already.

There's also the E.J. Liddell question. He'd be entering college as Cook becomes eligible to play again. I think the long-term move for him is to play more of a 3-4 than a true power forward role, and I think Ford could sell him on that. He's said to be the top priority for Mizzou in 2019. Just something to consider.

If Iowa has nothing in the junior and senior classes, then that is on Cook as those classes were already there when he made his decision. I don't know enough about Iowa to know if maybe a couple of those kids left, but to me this strikes of someone worrying more about immediate playing time than the right long-term fit. The fact his team currently stinks and he's likely leaving tells me this wasn't the right long term place.

As to our chances, I'd think the relationship with Corey Tate will be huge. Still, this is where Mr. Integrity shines.

23 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-this sounds like he went to a program where the cupboard was fairly empty and then he expected it to fill and it hasn't, the status of the roster on signing day shouldn't have been news to him and his family, or am I taking this incorrectly?

20 minutes ago, kshoe said:

If Iowa has nothing in the junior and senior classes, then that is on Cook as those classes were already there when he made his decision. I don't know enough about Iowa to know if maybe a couple of those kids left, but to me this strikes of someone worrying more about immediate playing time than the right long-term fit. The fact his team currently stinks and he's likely leaving tells me this wasn't the right long term place.

As to our chances, I'd think the relationship with Corey Tate will be huge. Still, this is where Mr. Integrity shines.

You guys are correct. He knew there was opportunity to play immediately because the classes ahead of him were weak. But the way transfers are today, it's a little shocking that McCaffery has allowed two consecutive classes to remain completely bare while stacking his 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes, now the freshmen and sophomores. It can work at Duke or Kentucky, but when you're doing it with mostly 3-star kids, you're going to have some consecutive down years. For example, Ford put guys in the classes above Goodwin, while selling him on being his starting lead guard immediately.

Tough crowd here coming out hard on Tyler Cook. I remember hearing early on in the recruiting process that Cook and his mom kind of fell in love with Iowa and Coach McCaffery. SLU and Mizzou were in much different places back then, but I never got the sense either was a real possibility for him (I'm not sure if SLU was even on his final list). At the time Iowa was coming off of 3 straight tournament appearances and he joined a fairly highly regarded recruiting class that was being added to an absolute stud senior in Peter Jok. Jok and that freshmen class had a solid year winning 19 games and finishing tied for 5th in the Big Ten (10-8). So really the wheels didn't fall off until this season with the team being his class (now sophomores) and the class behind them having to completely shoulder the load. They have struggled, but I think that would be expected with a roster of all underclassmen in that league. As far as Cook, I don't watch them play enough to know, I had some concerns with him watching him a bunch in high school and the one post above hits some of those concerns I had back then. Although Tyler is a really good kid, so I think that post took it a little too far (the kid never had the highest basketball IQ, but he is far from a bad teammate). The numbers he has put up in a tough league early in his career are rather impressive though.

Cook is a beast down low, but there is absolutely no way he can play the 3.  His shot outside of 10 feet is non-existant.  He is an in the paint scorer.  His defense (along with almost every other Hawkeye) is very poor.  He regularly throws 2 or more absolutely stupid passes each game.  I know Cook is better than French right now, but I would take French over him all day (though French really needs to dramatically improve his FT shooting).  French already is better passing out of double teams than Cook and Iowa actually has some legitimate 3 point aces to spread the floor out.

Cook basically had a Conklin summer this offseason with regard to strength improvement, so he is on the right trajectory.  But I can't for the life of me understand why Cook would want to sit out an entire season.  Also, you are leaving beautiful Iowa City to go to live in Columbia, MO and all of the racism that exists there.  But, hey, it's his prerogative to do what he wants to do.  I don't think SLU should really make a move to go after him when our front court is going to be stacked in two years anyway.

36 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Well I like that tweet.

Very interesting. I bet he declares for the NBA. May or may not stay in the draft but if he comes back he finds a different school. A few schools may be left holding a scholly for him...

40 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Very interesting. I bet he declares for the NBA. May or may not stay in the draft but if he comes back he finds a different school. A few schools may be left holding a scholly for him...

I’ll bet he ends up at Mizzou 

see: porter family and Torrence Watson recruitment

Apparently the Mizzou folk think SLU has a good chance. 

That confirms the information put out there by Gabe and a few other that cover Mizzou. 
He’s either at Iowa, SLU or playing professionally next season is mostly the information out there.

http://tigerboard.com/boards/view.php?message=15488145

Read the thread if you want, but just ignore the typical Tigerboard putdowns of SLU and read for actual info on Cook.

We could use a transfer like Cook however I do not think that Cook would want to play behind French and Gordon.

French's defense and passing would keep French as a starter and the 3 position must have an outside shot.

8 minutes ago, CBFan said:

We could use a transfer like Cook however I do not think that Cook would want to play behind French and Gordon.

French's defense and passing would keep French as a starter and the 3 position must have an outside shot.

You need at least three solid bigs to really compete, so I could see French/Gordon/Cook splitting time with Santos getting scraps, were Cook to come here. 

22 minutes ago, kshoe said:

That confirms the information put out there by Gabe and a few other that cover Mizzou. 
He’s either at Iowa, SLU or playing professionally next season is mostly the information out there.

Read the thread if you want, but just ignore the typical Tigerboard putdowns of SLU and read for actual info on Cook.

A lot of nonsense in that thread, but one guy posted exactly what I was thinking might going on here: "We can hope that's an attempt to "disprove" any tampering claims I guess."  

It could be Tillmon and Watson all over again. Gabe is such a stooge who can be easily manipulated - wouldn't surprise if the Mizzou staff are feeding him this stuff to pump the breaks on the speculation and put a little distance from the tampering.

RiseAndGrind likes this

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

A lot of nonsense in that thread, but one guy posted exactly what I was thinking might going on here: "We can hope that's an attempt to "disprove" any tampering claims I guess."  

It could be Tillmon and Watson all over again. Gabe is such a stooge who can be easily manipulated - wouldn't surprise if the Mizzou staff are feeding him this stuff to pump the breaks on the speculation and put a little distance from the tampering.

I get what you are saying and that is how a lot of Mizzou fans are justifying the Tweet but I don't see how a Tweet would exonerate Mi$$ourah if they indeed did tamper. Seems pretty silly to me.

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I get what you are saying and that is how a lot of Mizzou fans are justifying the Tweet but I don't see how a Tweet would exonerate Mi$$ourah if they indeed did tamper. Seems pretty silly to me.

Tampering is impossible to prove. Also, if SLU is interested you better believe Corey Tate has already reached out through unofficial channels. 

Good money is still on Mizzou. 

41 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Jesus Christo who is running Tigerboard, a 3 year-old? Is that the best format Mizzou grads can come up with?*  What a horrible website!

*Rhetorical question

Billikid likes this

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Tampering is impossible to prove. Also, if SLU is interested you better believe Corey Tate has already reached out through unofficial channels. 

Good money is still on Mizzou. 

If impossible to prove why even Tweet that you have no desire to go to Mi$$ourah? Seriously asking.

2 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Well I like that tweet.

This reads like a statement from an owner right before the coach gets fired.

"We stand behind coach So and So. He is our coach and we believe he can do the job."

Two days later coach So and So gets fired.

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-it would be interesting to know what caused Cook to Tweet that, but speculating can be fun, too

-I agree that it sounds like the "kiss of death" vote of confidence statement from an owner or gm

Remember, Torrence Watson had “issues” that wouldn’t allow him to go to Mizzou. 

And martin was just visiting his sister at ESL - not Tilmon

And Michael porter Sr had no idea junior and jontay would follow him to Mizzou 

12 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Remember, Torrence Watson had “issues” that wouldn’t allow him to go to Mizzou. 

And martin was just visiting his sister at ESL - not Tilmon

And Michael porter Sr had no idea junior and jontay would follow him to Mizzou 

Exactly and Mizzou sources were saying that SLU was a possibility in those cases too. Now if the "TheOne" says it is a possibility, I will start to believe it, but until then, this looks eerily familiar.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

If this is the play here, I don’t think it will work this time.  Unlike the Illini with Watson, Iowa can block Cook from going to a specific school.  If they think Martin tampered they will block Mizzou.

23 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-it would be interesting to know what caused Cook to Tweet that, but speculating can be fun, too

-I agree that it sounds like the "kiss of death" vote of confidence statement from an owner or gm

Probably because as soon as there's a rumor about a player possibly coming to Mizzou, he will suddenly get thousands of @s with no end in sight. I bet it had more to do with quieting the noise around him for the near future than anything else.