Grad Transfer & JUCO Tracker

ACE

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is hardly a discussion on the Iowa boards right now about Cook. Nobody really knows what is going on. Certainly this will pick up steam in the coming days.

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-based solely on his play in high school, I would take Mark Smith in a heartbeat, not sure what happened to him at UofI so if there is something I an not aware

I haven’t seen anything indicating Smith is leaving or that SLU is even a possible destination. 

I seem to recall there was some bad blood between J.Goodwin and Smith. Let's not upset J.Goodwin anymore than we already have by bringing in a guy he doesn't like assuming it's true.  Cook or Smith wish list, Cook all day every day. But since neither player has ever expressed much interest in SLU it's probably a pipe dream.

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I seem to recall there was some bad blood between J.Goodwin and Smith. Let's not upset J.Goodwin anymore than we already have by bringing in a guy he doesn't like assuming it's true.  Cook or Smith wish list, Cook all day every day. But since neither player has ever expressed much interest in SLU it's probably a pipe dream.

it is my understanding smith is not transferring to slu.    he has his sights for next school year elsewhere 

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I agree, the chances of landing Cook at this point are extremely slim to none, but would be nice to see him in Billiken Blue.

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

Smith's minutes and production steadily declined over the season. Three-point shooting was bad and assist numbers not very good.

Couldn’t you say the same thing about Javon Bess? Again i think the odds are very slim to non-existent but Smith actually fills a need more than Cook in this hypothetical pipe dream

Smiths family didn’t  want him at Slu when he was picking his schools last minute last year. Had visits from Michigan state and duke towards the end. Things obviously changed at Illinois, probably thought there would be a turnaround with Underwood. Missouri is not on the table though. 

Smith and Goodwin aren’t the best of friends either, I would put him transferring to Slu at a very low probability, however the thing that could bring him here would be being closer to home. My guess would be a BEast team, Marquette or DePaul maybe 

37 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Couldn’t you say the same thing about Javon Bess? Again i think the odds are very slim to non-existent but Smith actually fills a need more than Cook in this hypothetical pipe dream

No, Bess plays almost every minute of every game now, so don't really get the comparison. Also, Smith is a point guard. A point guard with low assist numbers is usually not a good thing. I guess you could say Smith is like Goodwin, without the excellent assist and rebounding numbers.

17 minutes ago, ACE said:

No, Bess plays almost every minute of every game now, so don't really get the comparison. Also, Smith is a point guard. A point guard with low assist numbers is usually not a good thing. I guess you could say Smith is like Goodwin, without the excellent assist and rebounding numbers.

I believe he was referencing javon Bess at Michigan st. His minutes were cut as the season progressed in favor of other players.