Grad Transfer & JUCO Tracker

ACE

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

There's talk of 6'10" Nick Mayo leaving Eastern Kentucky as a graduate transfer, now that his coach is gone. While he's not a guard , he is a hell of a shooter with 45% from 3 and 84% from FT and just a great all around player.

Kid can ball for sure, but I have no idea how we can possibly justify another big. 

24 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

There's talk of 6'10" Nick Mayo leaving Eastern Kentucky as a graduate transfer, now that his coach is gone. While he's not a guard , he is a hell of a shooter with 45% from 3 and 84% from FT and just a great all around player.

19 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Kid can ball for sure, but I have no idea how we can possibly justify another big. 

Sounds like this guy would be an excellent replacement for Welmer if he is too injured to play again and isn't taking up a scholarship.  We are loaded with bigs, but none of them bring much in terms of outside shooting.  Mayo would offer a totally different look from our other bigs with his ability to stretch the floor and, because of that,  I think he'd see plenty of playing time (although not as much as he is used to at EKU).  That being said, as a grad transfer he is probably looking to go somewhere that he is assured playing time and might shy away from SLU because of that.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

57 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Sounds like this guy would be an excellent replacement for Welmer if he is too injured to play again and isn't taking up a scholarship.  We are loaded with bigs, but none of them bring much in terms of outside shooting.  Mayo would offer a totally different look from our other bigs with his ability to stretch the floor and, because of that,  I think he'd see plenty of playing time (although not as much as he is used to at EKU).  That being said, as a grad transfer he is probably looking to go somewhere that he is assured playing time and might shy away from SLU because of that.

He would start at SLU in my opinion, at least play a lot of minutes.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

If he came to SLU, Ford would make playing time for him.  Sounds like he's going to attend NBA draft combines to see if its likely he could be drafted this year.

teamarete likes this

1 hour ago, teamarete said:

He would start at SLU in my opinion, at least play a lot of minutes.

I can see some minutes not as a starter.

I see Santos, French, Bess being the starters next season and DJ, JJ and Pearson coming off the bench.

I would like to have him however I think a team like Illinois would be a better fit for him.

21 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I see Santos, French, Bess being the starters next season and DJ, JJ and Pearson coming off the bench.

I would like to have him however I think a team like Illinois would be a better fit for him.

Mayo would start over Santos.  Mayo would be a stretch 4 and French would be the main post.  JMO.

25 minutes ago, CBFan said:

How about Gordon

8 minutes ago, teamarete said:

Seen him many times, locally and nationally.  Mayo is a proven stud.  Regardless, would be a nice problem to have.

Mayo's a player, no doubt. I don't think he's just a perimeter scorer, though - 10 FGA per game are from inside the arc, 2.4 FGA per game from the perimeter. There's no question he's a great shooter who can stretch it out. I just wonder who would be willing to accept a lesser role if we were to go for him.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Mayo's a player, no doubt. I don't think he's just a perimeter scorer, though - 10 FGA per game are from inside the arc, 2.4 FGA per game from the perimeter. There's no question he's a great shooter who can stretch it out. I just wonder who would be willing to accept a lesser role if we were to go for him.

No doubt he's more than a perimeter scorer...that is why I rank him a bit above Gordon at this point, plus he is more proven.  He might be willing to take a lesser role if he thinks he can make the tournament.

I may have completely underestimated Santos.  Bored at work so I was looking at his stats, he mirrors French in ppg and reb with same minutes played. also shoots at a respectable .54% from FG and .71% for FT.

2 hours ago, teamarete said:

I see Gordon as first big off the bench.  

The fact that our roster is now deep enough that we even get to hypothesize whether or not a 5* recruit is an immediate starter or not is a HUGE plus for Billiken basketball.

We haven’t had enough depth of either skills or personnel in years to even have this debate.

Bravo to our staff - we are witnessing the comeback of SLU basketball.

billikentim and moytoy12 like this

2 hours ago, slusam said:

How about Gordon

My bad and yet another reason Mayo would not start.

A nine man rotation of Gordon, Santos, French, DJ, JJ, Pearson, Goodwin, Thatch, and Jacobs there are not a lot of minutes left.  I think we will see the freshman getting a lot of minutes and producing.

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

My bad and yet another reason he would not start.

A nine man rotation of Gordon, Santos, French, DJ, JJ, Pearson, Goodwin, Thatch, and Jacobs there are not a lot of minutes left.  I think we will see the freshman getting a lot of minutes and producing.

Bess GT's then?

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

My bad and yet another reason he would not start.

Now you've left out Bess.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:04 AM, RiseAndGrind said:

So @TheOnespeculates SLU is a likely landing spot for a SEC Grad Transfer. Any ideas? 

Gattling & Jacobs would be a great way to rebuild the roster. Add the SEC Transfer and that's pretty good balance. 

I could see Thatch or Pearson being left out next year.  More likely Thatch than Pearson since we need 3's, but at the same time Pearson has to compete against Bess and Johnson, and Jacobs.

Wish we could red-shirt either Thatch or Pearson. 

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I could see Thatch or Pearson being left out next year.  More likely Thatch than Pearson since we need 3's, but at the same time Pearson has to compete against Bess and Johnson, and Jacobs.

Wish we could red-shirt either Thatch or Pearson. 

Jacobs probably isn't a 3.  (Or am I reading that wrong?)

I think Coach Ford could expand his rotation a bit in 2018-19 and pick up the pace of the game.  It may be his deepest team yet.

51 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Bess GT's then?

No, I am an idiot and forgot Bess so it is a 10 man rotation.  I should leave the player discussions like this to you guys because I am no good at it.

As listed plus Bess there will be very few minutes so I would like to see Austin and another freshman.

I am still holding out hope that Elliot will be back next season after resting his foot for a year.