Grad Transfer & JUCO Tracker

ACE

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, slusam said:

Austin can't and won't shoot. Wiley can shoot. 

Johnson and Roby were our top three-point shooters last year and they are gone. At this time last week, we didn't have any returning players who shot over 30% from 3. While Isabell's 34% and Wiley's 37% are not extraordinary - we were desperate to add anybody proven to be a decent 3-point threat. These additions make us much more well rounded.

13 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Dion Wiley 

Shooting grade

F-  /  B-  / S3

Notes...FG% is based on 3 years to get a big enough sample size......3P% is based on last year.....FT%  Even using 3 years worth of shots,  sample size is still too small

I think the f- on FG% is misleading.  If you really want to properly judge his shooting across three different areas, it should be 2pt fg%, 3pt fg%, and ft%.  Otherwise you punish a good 3pt% shooter for taking 3pt shots.

MusicCityBilliken and Zink like this

8 hours ago, brianstl said:

I think the f- on FG% is misleading.  If you really want to properly judge his shooting across three different areas, it should be 2pt fg%, 3pt fg%, and ft%.  Otherwise you punish a good 3pt% shooter for taking 3pt shots.

It is an interesting point.... ,,,I use the the slash of  FG% / 3P% / FT% because it is a widely used and a common stat...similar to batting ave or ERA in baseball....many services don't even show 2P%....however .I tried using the 2pt stat and overall on most players, it didn't make a difference. .In Wiley's case, he doesn't have enough 2's to project a grade...even using all the 2s he has shot over his career. This guy has made more 3s than 2s in his career ...very unusual. He shot 53.5% from 2 last year and 21% the year before....both numbers meaningless because of the sample size....The good news is that there is enough data on the 3P shots...He is B- past and is trending up for the future ...He is projected to be a B 3pt shooter this year.

I also ran the numbers on Isabel....He projected to come out as ...B/ D / B+...However when I inserted the extra 2pt stat he turned out to be an exception...in a positive way....B / A- /  D / B+.

So what does all this mean?   We have a guy who can definitely shoot 2s (Isabel) and a guy who can definitely shoot 3s and maybe 2s (TBD) Wiley.

Bottom line on the 2018  class overall. so far...We have more and better players this year which should mean more wins. 

brianstl likes this

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

It is an interesting point.... ,,,I use the the slash of  FG% / 3P% / FT% because it is a widely used and a common stat...similar to batting ave or ERA in baseball....many services don't even show 2P%....however .I tried using the 2pt stat and overall on most players, it didn't make a difference. .In Wiley's case, he doesn't have enough 2's to project a grade...even using all the 2s he has shot over his career. This guy has made more 3s than 2s in his career ...very unusual. He shot 53.5% from 2 last year and 21% the year before....both numbers meaningless because of the sample size....The good news is that there is enough data on the 3P shots...He is B- past and is trending up for the future ...He is projected to be a B 3pt shooter this year.

I also ran the numbers on Isabel....He projected to come out as ...B/ D / B+...However when I inserted the extra 2pt stat he turned out to be an exception...in a positive way....B / A- /  D / B+.

So what does all this mean?   We have a guy who can definitely shoot 2s (Isabel) and a guy who can definitely shoot 3s and maybe 2s (TBD) Wiley.

Bottom line on the 2018  class overall. so far...We have more and better players this year which should mean more wins. 

TL; DR: should we be as hyped about the Isabell commit and Wiley commit as we seem to be? At first glance they seem to be great additions.

4 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

TL; DR: should we be as hyped about the Isabell commit and Wiley commit as we seem to be? At first glance they seem to be great additions.

Be hyped if they're role players, which they will be.