Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no intel on what’s happening. Purely speculating. But parties are given 3 business days to file appeal. So it is possible that if decision was really handed down Thursday, they must wait until Tue/Wed (depending on whether Mon is holiday) to see if appeal filed. Or maybe one was filed.

Just speculating.

1 minute ago, Adman said:

I have no intel on what’s happening. Purely speculating. But parties are given 3 business days to file appeal. So it is possible that if decision was really handed down Thursday, they must wait until Tue/Wed (depending on whether Mon is holiday) to see if appeal filed. Or maybe one was filed.

Just speculating.

If a decision came Thursday and it was good for players, they should 100000% be allowed to play during appeal. If it was bad they shouldn't have been in that tweet and they should have been sent home.

SLU is incompetent 

1 minute ago, Adman said:

Just speculating.

If a decision came down Thursday,  clearing the players, and the admin still makes them sit out through an appeal against a finding of innocent, someone should be fired. Although with the history of SLU who the f knows. 

3 minutes ago, LindellWest said:

If a decision came down Thursday,  clearing the players, and the admin still makes them sit out through an appeal against a finding of innocent, someone should be fired. Although with the history of SLU who the f knows. 

Someone should be fired and someone should be sued.

SouthSide_Billiken likes this

There’s always the possibility that a verdict came down that allows them to stay in the university and with the team but not play for the entirety of this season. The picture could be as much a statement of support from the team as anything.

I don’t think this is the case, just throwing out possibilities.

On 1/11/2018 at 9:10 PM, Pistol said:

I've been doing a little reasearch on this tonight and redshirt players actually are allowed to travel. Source: https://healthfully.com/college-basketball-redshirting-rules-6716421.html

Redshirted athletes are allowed to travel, practice and even dress for competition for their team during their redshirt season, but the minute they step on the playing field, they lose their redshirt status and use a season of eligibility.

I think this might be the reason for the confusion. This rule applies to transfers:

Academic year in residence: Under the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an academic year in residence at the school to which you are transferring. If you transfer from a four-year college to an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year in residence at the new school before you can play for or receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you qualify for a transfer exception or waiver. To satisfy an academic year in residence, you must be enrolled in and successfully complete a full-time program of studies for two-full semesters or three-full quarters. Summer school terms and part-time enrollment do not count toward fulfilling an academic year in residence.

So it's not that they aren't allowed to travel, it's that they can't have their travel paid for until they've been there a year, functionally making transfers non-travel players. Graves didn't travel during the first semester because he hadn't completed one year in residence yet. Now he can travel with them. Henriquez has already completed an entire year at SLU, so he could travel all season long. The rule never applied to Bishop, because he never transferred. Keen eyes will notice that it's actually not a full team photo because Santos isn't there; this is his year in residence. This rule only applies to transfers and not freshmen taking a redshirt or medical redshirts.

In short, traveling on this trip has no impact on the status of Graves or Henriquez. We still don't know if they'll play this season, and they haven't jeopardized anything because of it.

So the players being in the photo technically was just this - they're all allowed to travel with the team now - and not actually a sign of things to come in this game. That's a frustrating tease.

38 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So the players being in the photo technically was just this - they're all allowed to travel with the team now - and not actually a sign of things to come in this game. That's a frustrating tease.

2 of the 3 have been traveling all year and could have been in the pictures, but weren’t. I still think there is meaning in the picture.

3 minutes ago, kshoe said:

2 of the 3 have been traveling all year and could have been in the pictures, but weren’t. I still think there is meaning in the picture.

There must be. Just not the meaning we wanted today.

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Agree but there's a growing part of me that thinks that the athletic department just screwed up with that tweet. 

57 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Me too. This whole situation has lessened my interest in SLU as an institution and as a fan of the athletics programs. 

Thanks, Pestello 

Pestello has done so much damage to regional interest in SLU. He should be on the hot seat at this point with the board of trustees, especially after dipping into the endowment for the new dorms and coming up with a negative budget last year. At this point it's almost harmful to keep him around because of the sheer number of longtime (and potential) donors that SLU has lost....

The land of brilliance that is academic fantasyland completely misplayed their hand... they have no idea how much money they have cost this university..

NCAA tournament money, general fan experience/game day, student recruitment based on on court success, booster excitement...

the university leadership has caused about 5 years worth of damage.

time to disband the cheerleaders...

Spoon-Balls and NextYearBill like this

I'm more so of the opinion that Fred needs to go simply because the University is losing millions right now. Biondi was by no means perfect, and I have plenty of complaints with regards to his methods of running things at SLU, but at least he secured donations, funding, and ensured that the university was financially sound. It appears that Fred can't even do that much...

I recently received an email from Pestello with  a request  that I volunteer to interview potential incoming freshman for possible scholarships.  He doesn't have a clue about the animosity I feel towards the University both because of the basketball situation and the medical school fiasco.  I would be ashamed to interview potential students.  Pestello just dosen't get it.