Fall 2017 allegations against unnamed players (aka Situation 2)

DoctorB

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Long time reader, first time poster, new season ticket holder, new alumni. 1st.. this has gone on long enough. As an alumni it’s frustrating hearing nothing. 2nd.. Coach Ford has done a tremendous job coaching and adjusting to keep these games close the 2nd half of last year and now this year. Steps are still being taken in the right direction as the team currently on the floor is still easier to watch. That being said, it’s time for some clarity whether that be innocence or guilt. Even current students would like this to end. Expectations then can be set and met. Pestello and the board of trustees have control in this, I do not believe athletics does. If they did the boys would play as it would help drive money. We all love the bills and are frustrated. I Look forward to watching the growth of this team and how they will compete in the future. The boys work hard day in and day out and do play better in front of large crowds whether the team is “good” or “not” (example Vcu white out game after Jett era). God bless, I trust in ford to keep it manageable, and go bills.

JMM28 and MattyMo213 like this

2 minutes ago, RIP HUMPS said:

Long time reader, first time poster, new season ticket holder, new alumni. 1st.. this has gone on long enough. As an alumni it’s frustrating hearing nothing. 2nd.. Coach Ford has done a tremendous job coaching and adjusting to keep these games close the 2nd half of last year and now this year. Steps are still being taken in the right direction as the team currently on the floor is still easier to watch. That being said, it’s time for some clarity whether that be innocence or guilt. Even current students would like this to end. Expectations then can be set and met. Pestello and the board of trustees have control in this, I do not believe athletics does. If they did the boys would play as it would help drive money. We all love the bills and are frustrated. I Look forward to watching the growth of this team and how they will compete in the future. The boys work hard day in and day out and do play better in front of large crowds whether the team is “good” or “not” (example Vcu white out game after Jett era). God bless, I trust in ford to keep it manageable, and go bills.

Strong name, good post 

Just now, Billiken Rich said:

60 bucks will get you some really good beers and appetizers at the Triumph grill or dinner at the field house.  I haven't spent 60 bucks at all of the gams this year........ 

I get off work, drive home to get my son and drive back to the city.  Don’t have time to eat at home or pick up something cheap to eat.  So I pay to park, buy some 50/50 tickets, buy one beer, buy a bottle of water, get us both something to something to eat, give a tip the balloon guy, get a soda at half time instead of beer because I got to drive home, etc. It can add up quickly.

Just now, brianstl said:

I get off work, drive home to get my son and drive back to the city.  Don’t have time to eat at home or pick up something cheap to eat.  So I pay to park, buy some 50/50 tickets, buy one beer, buy a bottle of water, get us both something to something to eat, give a tip the balloon guy, get a soda at half time instead of beer because I got to drive home, etc. It can add up quickly.

Ah I'm lucky.  My lovely wife drives in, steals me from work and takes me to dinner and by the third beer the evening is a success regardless of the outcome of the game.......

37 minutes ago, papal said:

I recently received an email from Pestello with  a request  that I volunteer to interview potential incoming freshman for possible scholarships.  He doesn't have a clue about the animosity I feel towards the University both because of the basketball situation and the medical school fiasco.  I would be ashamed to interview potential students.  Pestello just dosen't get it.  

I also got a letter asking me to interview students for the Presidential Scholarship. In the past, I really enjoyed doing this, as I always welcomed the chance to "sell" SLU. This year, I immediately tore up the letter and trashed it. I echo your sentiments above regarding animosity towards the University. I cannot in good conscience tell high school students that SLU is a good place to go to school. If you are a young man, your future could be jeopardized by false accusations and the Title IX "gold standard." If you are a young woman who was truly the victim of sexual violence, your accusers are able to roam free while the school's administration fails to make a decision (for the record, I believe our players are completely innocent of any claims of sexual assault, and I am in no way insinuating anything other than the fact that they are being railroaded by Fred and should be on the court playing while their lawyers negotiate a seven figure settlement that will help their families tremendously moving forward).

My alma mater is an embarrassment, and I cannot speak positively of it until there are drastic changes in administration. I cannot support the Presidential Scholarship weekend when I truly believe that the current President has done and will continue to do irreparable harm to an institution I love so much. In order to regain my full support, Fred must be forced out by the Board of Trustees. Alternatively, he can do the right thing and resign, admitting that he has absolutely no business taking on any leadership role due to his incredible cowardice and ambivalence towards truth, fairness, and justice. He is the product of an academic bubble that values political correctness above else while preparing students for a world full of unicorns and rainbows that simply does not exist.

Hopefully all parties do the right thing, so that in the future I can once again be proud of SLU. At this point, however, I am not holding my breath. In the meantime #FireFred #FreeThe3.  

31 minutes ago, SouthSide_Billiken said:

I also got a letter asking me to interview students for the Presidential Scholarship. In the past, I really enjoyed doing this, as I always welcomed the chance to "sell" SLU. This year, I immediately tore up the letter and trashed it. I echo your sentiments above regarding animosity towards the University. I cannot in good conscience tell high school students that SLU is a good place to go to school. If you are a young man, your future could be jeopardized by false accusations and the Title IX "gold standard." If you are a young woman who was truly the victim of sexual violence, your accusers are able to roam free while the school's administration fails to make a decision (for the record, I believe our players are completely innocent of any claims of sexual assault, and I am in no way insinuating anything other than the fact that they are being railroaded by Fred and should be on the court playing while their lawyers negotiate a seven figure settlement that will help their families tremendously moving forward).

My alma mater is an embarrassment, and I cannot speak positively of it until there are drastic changes in administration. I cannot support the Presidential Scholarship weekend when I truly believe that the current President has done and will continue to do irreparable harm to an institution I love so much. In order to regain my full support, Fred must be forced out by the Board of Trustees. Alternatively, he can do the right thing and resign, admitting that he has absolutely no business taking on any leadership role due to his incredible cowardice and ambivalence towards truth, fairness, and justice. He is the product of an academic bubble that values political correctness above else while preparing students for a world full of unicorns and rainbows that simply does not exist.

Hopefully all parties do the right thing, so that in the future I can once again be proud of SLU. At this point, however, I am not holding my breath. In the meantime #FireFred #FreeThe3.  

Might be the best post in the history of this program. Should be hung from the rafters. Well done, sir. 

Edit: I’ve done this interviewing for years. I think we should print your post out, leave it on the table before interview number one, then leave Cook Hall, go grab a beer while watching Fred Pestello’s Rome burn. Anyone who is also involved in these scholarship interviews should follow suit. I believe it’s the second and third weekend of February. Emails to him are great, but he probably autofilters any email with the situation on it to the Trash bin. Message sending can come in other forms. An alumni walkout of the Presidential Scholarship interviews would be cataclysmic. 

I don't expect these players to play for SLU ever again.  I may be a little pessimistic but the university will protect itself legally first and foremost. This should not surprise anyone really. 

Who to blame for this??  First the players for putting themselves in this situation. I guess when the adult beverages get consumed in excess then good judgement is the first thing to go. 2nd I blame the process for dragging it out.  I hope I am wrong about this but I fear I am not.  They only way it could possible come out good for the players if a piece of overwhelming evidence puts them in the clear. Of course if that existed this would not have gone on this long. I will continue to support the program. It is not the program's fault, not the coaches, and certainly not the other players doing what they can this season. 

Just now, JeffinMH said:

Of course if that existed this would not have gone on this long.

This where you are wrong. A logical person would assume that if there was exculpatory evidence this would be over by now. The problem is you are not dealing with logical decision makers on SLU's end. SLU's history is one of incompetence in handling these types of situations. They are not concerned with reaching a swift, just decision. They are more concerned with ensuring that they offend as few people as possible. Unfortunately, that is no longer possible. Regardless of the outcome, every side here has a legitimate reason to be upset at this point.

HenryB likes this

Hey guys, why are you doing this to yourselves for? You pick up the most minuscule piece of "evidence" and convert it into someone saying that the decision will be announced in X number of days, and your hopes soar to the sky. You are setting yourselves up to be dashed against the rocks time and again. Come on guys, try to get yourselves to think like the 3 kids are thinking. Any kid with any brains that has been sitting out of play most of the season waiting for a decision is not likely to play just a few games in exchange of 1 less year of eligibility. It makes no sense to do so.

22 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hey guys, why are you doing this to yourselves for? You pick up the most minuscule piece of "evidence" and convert it into someone saying that the decision will be announced in X number of days, and your hopes soar to the sky. You are setting yourselves up to be dashed against the rocks time and again. Come on guys, try to get yourselves to think like the 3 kids are thinking. Any kid with any brains that has been sitting out of play most of the season waiting for a decision is not likely to play just a few games in exchange of 1 less year of eligibility. It makes no sense to do so.

Have you paid any attention to the discussions on this thread regarding the eligibility options for the 3 players involved? Ty graves is the only cut and dry “he should sit” answer. 

38 minutes ago, JeffinMH said:

I don't expect these players to play for SLU ever again.  I may be a little pessimistic but the university will protect itself legally first and foremost. This should not surprise anyone really. 

Who to blame for this??  First the players for putting themselves in this situation. I guess when the adult beverages get consumed in excess then good judgement is the first thing to go. 2nd I blame the process for dragging it out.  I hope I am wrong about this but I fear I am not.  They only way it could possible come out good for the players if a piece of overwhelming evidence puts them in the clear. Of course if that existed this would not have gone on this long. I will continue to support the program. It is not the program's fault, not the coaches, and certainly not the other players doing what they can this season. 

Videos of the incident exists.  There is absolutely no reason for this to have took even the original 60 day time limit that was communicated.  

I am, also, getting sick of people blaming the players for putting themselves in the situation in the first place.  They are adults and they were with other consenting adults.  The group sex thing might not be my cup of tea, but it ranks down on the list of perverted things that happen on a college campus every weekend. Plus, SLU is on the record stating that it is no longer a Catholic institution, much less Liberty.

Want to blame someone? Blame a culture that has made it acceptable to claim sexual assault in cases that are nothing more than regret.

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

Have you paid any attention to the discussions on this thread regarding the eligibility options for the 3 players involved? Ty graves is the only cut and dry “he should sit” answer. 

Honestly, I have not been following this thread in a blow by blow basis. 177 pages of conjecture, disappointment, and anger with some valid information thrown in. I suppose Henriquez and Bishop may have valid reasons for playing however many games they can get to play after this mess is over, assuming it is over before the season ends. And I suppose this has been made clear by someone that posted somewhere within the 177 pages. Good, this counts as valid information and I am guilty of not having read it, my bad. Apologize for this.

3 hours ago, SouthSide_Billiken said:

This where you are wrong. A logical person would assume that if there was exculpatory evidence this would be over by now. The problem is you are not dealing with logical decision makers on SLU's end. SLU's history is one of incompetence in handling these types of situations. They are not concerned with reaching a swift, just decision. They are more concerned with ensuring that they offend as few people as possible. Unfortunately, that is no longer possible. Regardless of the outcome, every side here has a legitimate reason to be upset at this point.

. wonder how many pages the thread about this is on the Title IX message board? 

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

Videos of the incident exists.  There is absolutely no reason for this to have took even the original 60 day time limit that was communicated.  

I am, also, getting sick of people blaming the players for putting themselves in the situation in the first place.  They are adults and they were with other consenting adults.  The group sex thing might not be my cup of tea, but it ranks down on the list of perverted things that happen on a college campus every weekend. Plus, SLU is on the record stating that it is no longer a Catholic institution, much less Liberty.

Want to blame someone? Blame a culture that has made it acceptable to claim sexual assault in cases that are nothing more than regret.

I am not sure what you are talking about... The police are involved. There is an investigation open which could easily lead to lawsuit. Your comment about blaming a culture to claim sexual assault due to regret? Could be true but wishful thinking. I am addressing the legal exposure the university has because of this mess. This could have been avoided by the kids keeping it their pants. I wish somebody, anybody, would tell those guys that this stuff isn't swept under the rug as easily as it was in the past. Oh well!  Wishful thinking -vs- reality... reality wins everytime.

15 minutes ago, JeffinMH said:

I am not sure what you are talking about... The police are involved. There is an investigation open which could easily lead to lawsuit. Your comment about blaming a culture to claim sexual assault due to regret? Could be true but wishful thinking. I am addressing the legal exposure the university has because of this mess. This could have been avoided by the kids keeping it their pants. I wish somebody, anybody, would tell those guys that this stuff isn't swept under the rug as easily as it was in the past. Oh well!  Wishful thinking -vs- reality... reality wins everytime.

Get off your high horse.  What have we swept under the rug in the past? On the contrary there does seem to be a lot to suggest that the administration has ignored evidence that exonerates the players to achieve a predetermined outcome.  The legal exposure the university has is self-inflicted and, frankly, is well deserved. 

brianstl likes this

image.png.245b8a3cc27045acb0bf6fdb16b08e7b.png

Guys, as much as we want to blame the University, we have to consider the Title IX office for civil rights at the Dept. of Education is probably to blame for where we are at right now.  They have given mixed messages over the years and put pressure on Universities.  Changes in policies, procedures, and their recommendations have left Universities terrified of lawsuits.  They are between a rock and a hard place.  Attorneys have ways of finding sloppiness in investigations or not following past recommended procedures.  Civil court is not criminal court and there is lots of leeway for lovable attorneys to poke holes into ways Universities handle themselves.  

It seems to me Pestello is just doing his job for the benefit of SLU.  Is he really doing a good job?  I don't know, but I have yet to see any solid proof from any poster here that he has dropped the ball on this one.  Is it taking too long?  Who knows?  Rosenblum isn't shouting from the rooftops about any injustices being carried out.

This team will win the A10 tournament, so I don't know what everyone is worried about.

BTW, I think they will start next Saturday against Umass.  Actually, I have no idea, but I'm hoping so.