Jump to content

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, courtside said:

Around the A10...

2021 6'8 Top 50 Power Forward from Arizona, DaRon Holmes committed to Dayton today. His finalists were Dayton, Marquette, Arizona, Cal.

Many thought he would choose Marquette or Arizona as they both were in on him a long time. But Dayton came in later and some things went their way. He really liked Anthony Grant.

First, his recruiter from Marquette, Stan Johnson, left to be the Head Coach at Loyola Marymount. (Johnson also landed two other recent AZ players of the year for Marquette) His U of Arizona recruiter, Justin Gainey left Arizona to take an assistant position with Marquette, where he had been before. Marquette has a bit of logjam at his position. Arizona has some NCAA concerns as well.

Dayton positioned themselves well later in his recruitment.

Holmes who grew up in Arizona, played his last year at Montverde in Florida. 

He is a face up 4, high energy/motor, runs the floor, both ends, dunk machine to shot blocker, mid range game. 

It's a big get for Dayton.

 

 

 

 

Related. today Arizona was hit with 9 NCAA infractions, 5 of which are level 1, the most severe:

https://theathletic.com/2158740/2020/10/25/arizona-sean-miller-ncaa-investigaton-fbi-book-richardson/?amp#click=https://t.co/iJxO0v3Zka

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Arizona, Shane Dezonie committed there yesterday. They only very recently got involved, it seems. Funny timing. SLU was never really in the mix even though the offer came before his recruitment hit the next level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Do you think he will commit soon or wait until spring?

Hearing he will commit before the season.  They had to change up their schedule this year.  They won't be going out of town.  So he won't get that extra exposure.  But I guess there's always that threat of someone entering the mix late lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

Hearing he will commit before the season.  They had to change up their schedule this year.  They won't be going out of town.  So he won't get that extra exposure.  But I guess there's always that threat of someone entering the mix late lol.

I hear Memphis has a few open scholarships available.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Coach314 said:

Hearing he will commit before the season.  They had to change up their schedule this year.  They won't be going out of town.  So he won't get that extra exposure.  But I guess there's always that threat of someone entering the mix late lol.

Stockard being at VCU definitely doesn’t help us out. Whatever Nick chooses I’ll be happy for him though!

5156DCAF-B3F4-4B3B-BC87-5A45A3858ADB.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

^How so? 

17 hours ago, hmart23 said:

Stockard being at VCU definitely doesn’t help us out. Whatever Nick chooses I’ll be happy for him though!

Does that hurt us in some way? I don't see it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Compton said:

^How so? 

Does that hurt us in some way? I don't see it. 

VCU is in contention for Kern and has a Vashon alum on the roster. Stockard could pitch Kern on the program. It indeed makes them more competitive.

VCU was also a finalist for McKinney out of HS. They like the V.

We also have a Wolverine on our roster and have recruited Vashon hard since Ford took over, and fortunately ours is closer in age to Kern and actually played alongside him.

His recruitment - like many others - would be a bigger battle if he'd gotten an AAU season to show out. He tends to be a streakier player who has good days and off days, so the ability for a staff to get repeat viewings of Kern is more important in his recruitment. Fletcher, Clark, and Russell are gone, but Vashon brings in Koray Gilbert's younger brother Keshon for his senior year. A UNLV commit, he played his first three seasons out in Vegas and will run the point for Vashon. Regardless, Kern will play a bigger role this season.

He's got a competitive streak to go with his upside and I think he'd be a nice get for us as a long-term prospect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Dallan "Deebo" Coleman to Georgia Tech (we were not among his 11 finalists). Sorry, @Box and Won. Not many good names left on our 2021 offer and interest lists.

I'm still holding out for a commitment/sport change from Slam Dunkley.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's suspect but Verbal Commits only show Kern with five offers as is: us, VCU, DePaul, TCU and SEMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Frank just reiterated on his show that he doesn’t think SLU will sign anyone in the fall. He’s not even sure if they will sign anyone in the spring with the ability of everyone to come back next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank just reiterated on his show that he doesn’t think SLU will sign anyone in the fall. He’s not even sure if they will sign anyone in the spring with the ability of everyone to come back next year.

so then seniors in HS are screwed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank just reiterated on his show that he doesn’t think SLU will sign anyone in the fall. He’s not even sure if they will sign anyone in the spring with the ability of everyone to come back next year.

I just don’t see a lot of guys coming back for a “Covid year.”

I get it for the guys who won’t continue their basketball careers professionally, get another year of playing ball while working on your masters. Not a bad deal.

The Bills seniors will all be playing professionally. 
I don’t see any of them gaining anything by playing an extra year. 
I could see it helping Perkins but I’m not sure how it helps French and Goodwin.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I just don’t see a lot of guys coming back for a “Covid year.”

I get it for the guys who won’t continue their basketball careers professionally, get another year of playing ball while working on your masters. Not a bad deal.

The Bills seniors will all be playing professionally. 
I don’t see any of them gaining anything by playing an extra year. 
I could see it helping Perkins but I’m not sure how it helps French and Goodwin.

 

It probably makes more sense to look at transfers for this year than to bring in 2 or 3 more freshmen, to an already crowded class. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Frank just reiterated on his show that he doesn’t think SLU will sign anyone in the fall. He’s not even sure if they will sign anyone in the spring with the ability of everyone to come back next year.

Given all the uncertainty surrounding this season, a wait and see recruiting approach by the staff does make a lot of sense.  They can't even meet face-to-face with a recruit off campus or do any in-person scouting.  Brian called this about 2 months ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Given all the uncertainty surrounding this season, a wait and see recruiting approach by the staff does make a lot of sense.  They can't even meet face-to-face with a recruit off campus or do any in-person scouting.  Brian called this about 2 months ago.

I would still like Kern if for no other reason than to keep the "V" as a recruiting priority. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...