Recruiting - 2021

Pistol

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One question I have on recruiting is why have we not hired a 3rd assistant coach? It seems that we have been recruiting with 3/4ths of a full staff for several months now. I'm sure Travis, Tate and Stuen are working hard to make up for that, but I don't see how this wouldn't be a disadvantage in recruiting. Has anyone heard anything on the assistant coach front?

5 minutes ago, NH said:

One question I have on recruiting is why have we not hired a 3rd assistant coach? It seems that we have been recruiting with 3/4ths of a full staff for several months now. I'm sure Travis, Tate and Stuen are working hard to make up for that, but I don't see how this wouldn't be a disadvantage in recruiting. Has anyone heard anything on the assistant coach front?

20200928_122146.jpg

Happy is working on it. 

they cant  go out, so they are working from campus making calls and texting.   not sure we would be getting the bang for our  buck hiring a full time guy  to text messages to prospective recruits and never see face to face.   

cheeseman and HoosierPal like this

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

they cant  go out, so they are working from campus making calls and texting.   not sure we would be getting the bang for our  buck hiring a full time guy  to text messages to prospective recruits and never see face to face.   

I think you stated this before, they may be trying to save a little money during trying times. 

1 hour ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I guess my question would be is SLU not telling him similar things about how they plan to use him?  He makes it sound like they are not - am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I guess my question would be is SLU not telling him similar things about how they plan to use him?  He makes it sound like they are not - am I missing something?

He won't be the point guard here (as Penny apparently has told him), until maybe his junior year.  No way Collins isn't the primary PG until he graduates.

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I think you could be reading something that isn’t necessarily there. 

9 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Just out of curiosity....if you guys were Ford and were sitting in front of Nesbitt and his parents, how would you answer the question of his role coming in and how he would be used?

If it was me, I’d pitch that he’d start at the 2 and be the number one option on offense. He’d take JGood’s shots if not a little bit more. 

11 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Just out of curiosity....if you guys were Ford and were sitting in front of Nesbitt and his parents, how would you answer the question of his role coming in and how he would be used?

Jimmy Butler

23 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I'd tell him he will earn his job in practice.  Best five on the floor.  If he can't beat out Jimerson/Hargrove/Strickland/Thatch/Jacobs/Lorentsson etc., then he sits.  Nothing is given out free by TeamBlue.  You earn your place on the team.

kmbilliken and Crewsorlose like this

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'd tell him he will earn his job in practice.  Best five on the floor.  If he can't beat out Jimerson/Hargrove/Strickland/Thatch/Jacobs/Lorentsson etc., then he sits.  Nothing is given out free by TeamBlue.  You earn your place on the team.

That's the first day on campus talk. Right now I tell him we see him as a go-to scorer from day 1. I would emphasize that we have multiple players bring the ball up the court and he will get plenty of time handling the ball. And then have Mrs. Goodwin call his mom and tell her how awesome it is to watch her son play at home.

11 minutes ago, DOC said:

That's the first day on campus talk. Right now I tell him we see him as a go-to scorer from day 1. I would emphasize that we have multiple players bring the ball up the court and he will get plenty of time handling the ball. And then have Mrs. Goodwin call his mom and tell her how awesome it is to watch her son play at home.

I like that. J Good is a good example of a position free player. The important thing is he is free to maximize his skills at both ends of the floor. 

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

I see you as a big guard who can score, handle and pass.  In other words, a serious matchup problem.  Your game reminds me of Jamal Murray.

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

I think I would have a pretty compelling recruiting pitch about his role and how he'd be used:

1) He would have the opportunity to be the number 1 or 2 option on offense early in his career, and would get a lot of shots as an underclassmen (primarily as ballhandler in the pick and roll and posting up smaller guards)

2) Even when Yuri is in the game, he would still have plenty of opportunity to initiate halfcourt offense as a ballhandler similar to Goodwin the past couple of seasons

3) Lastly, Ford could show him tape of similarly-sized perimeter players who have been really successful under his system (James Anderson, Markel Brown, Marcus Smart, Jordan Goodwin)

13 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

We really need to hammer home the playing for your home town team aspect. An edit with all the St. Louis area guys would be cool.

I just saw the Rothstein Big 12 predictions and one thing stood out, which supports earlier comments of mine.  Stay in STL at SLU and you will be a hometown hero and receive consistent media coverage from local print/tv and radio.  Leave, even if you are an excellent player, and you will soon be forgotten.

What reinforced that belief is that Rothstein picks Courtney Ramey as 1st team all-Big 12.  When has Ramey's name even come up in the past couple of years?  He is a forgotten St. Louisan  and will remain that way, plus the closest he plays to STL for his family and friends to see is 300 miles away, once a year in Lawrence, KA.  Compare that to the coverage J Good, Yuri, Javonte and TJ have already received in the last 12 months. 

Finally if academics mean anything to the  Nesbitt family they should compare Memphis to SLU, not much of a comparison!

Jordan and Nick , stay home!

billiken_roy likes this

4 hours ago, willie said:

I think you could be reading something that isn’t necessarily there. 

Possibly but he specifically talked about how Memphis and IL were talking about how they plan to use him in a way that he obviously liked.  What he said about SLU was nothing about how he would be used.  I just thought it was odd that he did not mention that given that it must be a big thing for him.