WELCOME HEAD COACH JOSH SCHERTZ!!

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@A-Bomb May has no vision and likely is not interested in keeping SLU at the front of the current changes in the collegiate sports landscape as you correctly said about 5 hours ago. What May is good at, like Ford was, is in selling himself and obtaining support for himself at high levels. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

SLU isn’t losing any of their targets because they can’t compete with the dollars offered.  That doesn’t mean they will get everyone they target, but they won’t lose out because they couldn’t compete financially.  Plus, why does everyone forget SLU has their own oil money?

I hope you're right on our "targets" which I assume we have an inside track on because our coach was their coach last season.

As you read this next part, know that I love SLU, I have 2 degrees from SLU, and one degree from Texas. When my children ask me if SLU played Texas in a sport who would I cheer for? I answer SLU without hesitation. 

SLU does not exist in the same universe as Texas money.  If the only factor was $ and Texas really wanted the player we're not likely winning that battle. 

We have a collective that until recently didn't have a way to donate online or return inquiries. Texas has Collectives, plural. 

SLU is upper middle class in the sports world in terms of support. The paying of the buyout, new coach and assumed promised NIL fund increase are all very good and can take this program where we want to go. 

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-football-austin-texas-1578609cf8697681db5a97389a715d3c

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-sports-top-donors-ranking-the-most-generous-athletics-boosters-214986422/

cgeldmacher likes this

41 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Damn if Avila doesn't come here I am gonna look like a clown telling everyone around me that he was going to be playing for SLU next year.  

I’m in the same boat 

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Did you listen to the interview?  Bernie had a nice story on Rick near the end, after Schertz left.  Bernie is of course Polish, and his first Mother-In-Law made outstanding pierogies.  Bernie told Majerus about them, and the next day Rick called Bernie and asked if he could get some of the pierogies.  Bernie told Rick first, he wasn't married to that family anymore ans second his former MIL had passed.  Then Rick asked "Well could you still get the recipe?"  Bernie was convinced that if he had said yes that Rick would have driven to PA to get it. The way Bernie told the story was pretty neat.  If you have time, click the link and skip to about 28 min.

I nominate Next Year Bill to serve as coach Schertz's wing man to ensure a healthy, low fat diet. Stay away from Bernie, please!

NextYearBill likes this

21 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This boat is getting full. 

It's crazy seeing all the big sports media outlets post about Robbie transfering and asking where is he gonna transfer to. Comments are full of people saying he's going p5 and fans wanting him to come to their school. I'm over here telling everyone he's coming to SLU. I thought since he had that no contact note it was pretty much done. But maybe he just didn't want to be bombarded by everyone. Pretty wild stuff. 

We instantly get a solid national following if he comes here. 

3 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

It's crazy seeing all the big sports media outlets post about Robbie transfering and asking where is he gonna transfer to. Comments are full of people saying he's going p5 and fans wanting him to come to their school. I'm over here telling everyone he's coming to SLU. I thought since he had that no contact note it was pretty much done. But maybe he just didn't want to be bombarded by everyone. Pretty wild stuff. 

-I had the same thought

-not knowing how this all works, how did the Horns get him to Austin for a visit?

13 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-I had the same thought

-not knowing how this all works, how did the Horns get him to Austin for a visit?

His teammate Larry is going to visit them.  They probably mentioned to him to let Avila know he can reach out if he wants a trip to Austin.  

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I hope you're right on our "targets" which I assume we have an inside track on because our coach was their coach last season.

As you read this next part, know that I love SLU, I have 2 degrees from SLU, and one degree from Texas. When my children ask me if SLU played Texas in a sport who would I cheer for? I answer SLU without hesitation. 

SLU does not exist in the same universe as Texas money.  If the only factor was $ and Texas really wanted the player we're not likely winning that battle. 

We have a collective that until recently didn't have a way to donate online or return inquiries. Texas has Collectives, plural. 

SLU is upper middle class in the sports world in terms of support. The paying of the buyout, new coach and assumed promised NIL fund increase are all very good and can take this program where we want to go. 

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-football-austin-texas-1578609cf8697681db5a97389a715d3c

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-sports-top-donors-ranking-the-most-generous-athletics-boosters-214986422/

I don't know what to tell you.  I don't think you really understand how much some of SLU"s boosters are really worth.  These aren't the type of people that will be making NIL spends through a collective website. This isn't just Chaifetz that has stepped up.  I have heard two different numbers for what will be available for SLU to spend on NIL this season.  The lower of those two numbers would have put SLU among the very elite of P5 basketball NIL spending last season.  Will Texas spend more this coming season than SLU will?  Sure they could, I am sure they have the means to and they probably will.  Also just because the money is available that doesn't mean SLU will spend every last penny of it.  That still doesn't mean SLU won't be able spend just as much or more than Texas when it comes to what they are willing to spend on a specific player both programs are targeting.  Being willing to spend that money doesn't even mean that SLU would land that player.  There are many kids that would rather play for Texas at the end of the day.

BuiltFordBills and dlarry like this

47 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I don’t know how the TikTok algorithm works, but Avila’s last post was on my for you page last night and almost all of the comments (none actually from RA) are saying he’s going to SLU 

33 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I don’t know how the TikTok algorithm works, but Avila’s last post was on my for you page last night and almost all of the comments (none actually from RA) are saying he’s going to SLU 

Huh. If you look at bleacher report or ESPN or any of those bigger college basketball posts they are full of people saying UConn and other powerhouses. Obviously that's probably not going to happen. Still think he comes here but interesting nonetheless.

35 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't know what to tell you.  I don't think you really understand how much some of SLU"s boosters are really worth.  These aren't the type of people that will be making NIL spends through a collective website. This isn't just Chaifetz that has stepped up.  I have heard two different numbers for what will be available for SLU to spend on NIL this season.  The lower of those two numbers would have put SLU among the very elite of P5 basketball NIL spending last season.  Will Texas spend more this coming season than SLU will?  Sure they could, I am sure they have the means to and they probably will.  Also just because the money is available that doesn't mean SLU will spend every last penny of it.  That still doesn't mean SLU won't be able spend just as much or more than Texas when it comes to what they are willing to spend on a specific player both programs are targeting.  Being willing to spend that money doesn't even mean that SLU would land that player.  There are many kids that would rather play for Texas at the end of the day.

I'm still holding out hope we just "SMU" our way into the big east eventually. 

thatskablamo likes this

15 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I'm still holding out hope we just "SMU" our way into the big east eventually. 

We gotta Pony Up to get a seat at the table. I’ll see you at Campisi’s on Mockingbird before Dr. Fred comes to town on the 17th. That’s where folks get that bag. 

3 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Jimerson probably back, announcement tomorrow?

Coach all but said it.  "We are going 3 for 3 with the guys who are here that fit our culture."

Trending towards earlier than June for getting the roster set.

Wants a schedule that will get us an At Large bid.  Looking at an MTE with high level teams and a high level game in Sioux Falls.

“Pleasantly surprised by the number of kids interested in coming.”

TRN likes this