Doing a bit of a deeper dive on ISU - it is a mess... No president and No AD, plus a lot of budget problems.

IF Schertz bails on us at the 11th hour, I would be shocked it was to return to ISU.

Some folks can complain all they want about May, but be thankful he wasn't bounced or left a few months ago like the ISU AD. Having May in lockstep with Doc Chaifetz is crucial at this time, providing some stability and continuity for a new coach.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

They’re in denial over there. It’s entertaining, but you can’t take it seriously.  They’ve gone through every stage of grief except acceptance, and they keep regressing to denial. Their rationale is that Schertz won’t confirm signing anything… why the hell would he admit to signing a contract with us while they’re trying to win the NIT?  

Does he seem like the kind of guy to piss off that entire fanbase? You seen what he's been tweeting after all these games? I just don't think he would be saying all that if it was already decided.  I would just stay silent and go about my business. It's getting to the point to where if they make a competitive offer and he still leaves it's going to be awkward/ a bad look for him. Again this just all my negative Nancy opinion.

7 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Does he seem like the kind of guy to piss off that entire fanbase? You seen what he's been tweeting after all these games? I just don't think he would be saying all that if it was already decided.  I would just stay silent and go about my business. It's getting to the point to where if they make a competitive offer and he still leaves it's going to be awkward/ a bad look for him. Again this just all my negative Nancy opinion.

And there's a ton of that fan base that thinks he's just playing the PR game. 

17 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I think that’s exactly why he’s still tweeting, if he were radio silent, it might be pretty telling that he’s gone.  He wants to win the NIT, and keeping the fans engaged has helped with that up to this point. Their atmospheres have been great, and I’m sure he wants a ton of fans at Hinkle. It’s in his best interest to keep them thinking they have a shot. 

Again, I have no inside info, but the multiple reports of Louisville needing to pay us a buyout to sign Schertz has me thinking he has already signed something more binding than an MOU.  

Billikitty7 likes this

9 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I think that’s exactly why he’s still tweeting, if he were radio silent, it might be pretty telling that he’s gone.  He wants to win the NIT, and keeping the fans engaged has helped with that up to this point. Their atmospheres have been great, and I’m sure he wants a ton of fans at Hinkle. It’s in his best interest to keep them thinking they have a shot. 

Again, I have no inside info, but the multiple reports of Louisville needing to pay us a buyout to sign Schertz has me thinking he has already signed something more binding than an MOU.  

if we're going down that train of thought, and I think you're correct. You're also leaving them, if you leave them with an NIT championship, they are going to remember you fondly regardless of whether you left right after. Again, he's a pro and this is the right way to treat your fans. Do your best until the end, and that includes treating your fans to the best possible experience.

cgeldmacher likes this

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

if we're going down that train of thought, and I think you're correct. You're also leaving them, if you leave them with an NIT championship, they are going to remember you fondly regardless of whether you left right after. Again, he's a pro and this is the right way to treat your fans. Do your best until the end, and that includes treating your fans to the best possible experience until the end.

Yes that has crossed my mind. I think at this point them losing the next game is worst case scenario.

Can you sign a more legally binding document while you're under contract at another school? That just doesn't seem like a thing you can do but I know very little about how contractual obligations work.

But I'm sure old guy can tell me. 

Schertz is going to act like he’s not going anywhere until the final whistle of ISU’s last game.  He’ll do the press conference and won’t give any definitive answers.  Sometime shortly afterwards his agent will leak the news he’s going to SLU and it will show up on Twitter.  

That’s how it’s done, see the numerous coaches that have recently moved on.  He’s not going to deviate from normal behavior, regardless of the worries of fans on all sides.

19 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Yes that has crossed my mind. I think at this point them losing the next game is worst case scenario.

Can you sign a more legally binding document while you're under contract at another school? That just doesn't seem like a thing you can do but I know very little about how contractual obligations work.

I don’t think it’s going to matter how or when they finish. Don’t go down that thought experiment, you can argue both sides equally if you think hard enough lol. 

25 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I don’t think any of us or ISU’s MBMs truly have any idea of what can and cannot legally be signed in this case. As I mentioned in an earlier post, binding pre-contracts are signed all the time in professional soccer. I don’t see why he couldn’t sign something that automatically triggers his buyout upon the completion of their NIT run, and puts into effect a contract with us.  It just feels like a done deal to me, and I’m usually more on the pessimistic side of things as they pertain to Billiken Basketball. 

36 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

You think losing in the semi finals of the NIT (!!!) is going to motivate him to come back (i.e unfinished business)?  Lol hell nah 

Box and Won likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The money ISU can pay Schertz isn’t even the biggest reason Schertz wants out of ISU.  They aren’t going to be able to keep the team together to run it back again even if Schertz would stay.  Schertz knows that.  They don’t have the NIL money or the facilities needed for that.  That can’t all be fixed before the transfer window closes. That is the reason he has determined he is leaving.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Doing a bit of a deeper dive on ISU - it is a mess... No president and No AD, plus a lot of budget problems.

These are the main reasons he won't be returning to ISU, no matter what. And that's before the salary difference, facilities, etc.

I’m sure he loved and appreciated his time at ISU but why stay in a conference where you win 28 games and can’t make the tournament? More money, better facilities, better NIL.  ‘Nuff said.  Next year will be fun.

12 minutes ago, Scoop said:

I’m sure he loved and appreciated his time at ISU but why stay in a conference where you win 28 games and can’t make the tournament? More money, better facilities, better NIL.  ‘Nuff said.  Next year will be fun.

Exactly, conference remains a liability. Ben Jacobson stays, remaining hot MVC coaches bolt.

1 hour ago, David King said:

I wonder why they called Melvin “Big Chill” ?

Melvin was very relaxed.  

Avila would have Robsinson in foul trouble in about 90 seconds.

OkieBilliken likes this

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

In other news avoid six flags this summer 

And we found someone who likes Chris May? Or is Chris Mays actually somebody?

Who knew Yuri was headed to Texas?

I like this one. Just glancing at that dudes Twitter feed is…..something.

Pappys great BBQ and college basketball info.

37 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

In other news avoid six flags this summer 

And we found someone who likes Chris May? Or is Chris Mays actually somebody?

Who knew Yuri was headed to Texas?

This makes me feel so much better about myself

24 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I like this one. Just glancing at that dudes Twitter feed is…..something.

Pappys great BBQ and college basketball info.

This reply by WestPineBills made me LOL. 

I'm imagining Mr. Murkens at Pappy's.  Of course he's clad in his polo shirt with too many buttons undone and no undershirt, gold necklace resting across the top of white tufts of chest hair that no one wants to see, and his signature St Louis Cardinals cowboy hat sits askance on his head.  He strolls up to the counter with the self-assuredness that only a Boomer can have. 

"I'll take a full slab of ribs, bean, and slaw" Tony boasts. 

"Sure.  Anything else?" inquires an unknowing Pappy's employee.

"What's the latest on the Billiken's coaching search?"

"..."

"..."

"Uh...I...I don't know what you're talking about.  Your total is $31.09."

"Did Fred Pestello put you up this this?  You know Yuri Collings should've gone to Texas.  No heart."

"..."

Both parties glance down to see Frank Cusamano stroll over.

"Tony!  How you doing!  Let's talk about Blake Ahern!"

-scene-