SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

I know all of these names have already come up elsewhere but I think we need to establish a comprehensive list and keep it in one place. I'll add the note that I think about 6-8 of these guys aren't realistic at all. And of the rest, SLU will obviously not reach out to all of them.

• Josh Schertz - Indiana State
  • Chris Mack - Retired
  • Porter Moser - Oklahoma
  • Darian DeVries - Drake
  • Brian Wardle - Bradley
  • Blake Ahearn - Memphis Grizzlies (assistant)
  • Mike Brey - Atlanta Hawks (assistant)
  • Dustin Kerns - Appalachian State
  • Bruce Weber - Retired
  • Mark Byington - James Madison
  • Bryce Drew - Grand Canyon
  • Ben McCollum - Northwest Missouri State
  • Mike Morrell - UNC Asheville
  • Chester Frazier - Illinois (assistant)
  • Bucky McMillan - Samford
  • Jake Diebler - Ohio State (interim)
  • Preston Spradlin - Morehead State
  • DeAndre Haynes - Marquette (assistant)
  • Chris Holtmann - Fired by Ohio State - DePaul
  • Dusty May - Florida Atlantic
  • Pat Kelsey - Charleston
  • Danny Sprinkle - Utah State
  • Tom Crean - Retired
  • Chris Carrawell - Duke (assistant)
  • Chris Harriman - SLU (assistant)
  • Cuonzo Martin - Retired
  • Joe Gallo - Merrimack
gabriel likes this

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2 with the most smoke are Schertz and Mack. If it's Mack we should know very soon as he's a free agent and doesn't have to wait until selection Sunday like some of the others. So what's reasonable on that?  A few days? If we don't hear anything on that front we can assume it's not Mack.

BLIKNS and Lord Elrond like this

From above who are realistically possible? Definition: They would have mutual interest.
Guys like Kelsey, Mays, Sprinkle, and DeVries are holding out for P6 jobs. They would view SLU as a lateral move not a step up. I think Mack falls into this group as well. 

4 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The 2 with the most smoke are Schertz and Mack. If it's Mack we should know very soon as he's a free agent and doesn't have to wait until selection Sunday like some of the others. So what's reasonable on that?  A few days? If we don't hear anything on that front we can assume it's not Mack.

2 days is too long for me. I'd prefer to nip my Mack fantasy in the bud ASAP. @TheOne: if there is mutual interest between SLU and Mack please respond by releasing blue smoke. If there is NO mutual interest between SLU and Mack, white smoke. If you want me to shut up don't respond to this at all.

BILLS324 likes this

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

2 days is too long for me. I'd prefer to nip my Mack fantasy in the bud ASAP. @TheOne: if there is mutual interest between SLU and Mack please respond by releasing blue smoke. If there is NO mutual interest between SLU and Mack, white smoke. If you want me to shut up don't respond to this at all.

This is Papal conclave language lol

Who will be next? Cardinal Mack, Cardinal Schertz, Cardinal Moser? What name will they take as Pope? My guess: Pope Majerus II

4 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

This is Papal conclave language lol

Who will be next? Cardinal Mack, Cardinal Schertz, Cardinal Moser? What name will they take as Pope? My guess: Pope Majerus II

If we're going to reveal info let's do it in a way that upholds the integrity of our fine institution. I did check on Googles to make sure there were quality blue and white smoke GIFs before posting.

Lord Elrond likes this

The future of Schertz can swing wildly over the next week or so. IF Indiana State is on the wrong side of the bubble, that's good news for SLU because he suddenly becomes a lot less attractive to P6 schools. The only drawback for SLU is the possibility that he could then have a long run in the NIT which would delay his hire.

Another scenario that might be even better for SLU - ISU gets in as an 11 seed and loses in the play-in game. In this scenario, he again is not very attractive to the P6 schools who are often drawn to a flavor of the month coach who wins a game or two in the NCAA Tournament. If his team makes a little noise in the Dance, then I think we're quickly out of contention.

thelaundry and slufan13 like this

I will be very surprised if SLU hires an assistant coach (without head coaching experience on their resume) unless it is a financially driven decsion. That would be inconsistent with what was said during the last hiring cycle and inconsistent with the last two women's head coaching hires. 

9 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Pistol should edit the list as the day goes on.

Pistol needs to be editing it by the minute. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Pistol needs to be editing it by the minute. 

I think Brey is an assistant for Quinn Snyder in Atlanta. Teacher becomes the student kinda deal. He could bring that DeMatha / DMV pipeline directly westbound I-70. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

UPDATED:

• Joe Gallo - Merrimack
  • Josh Schertz - Indiana State
  • Chris Mack - Retired
  • Porter Moser - Oklahoma
  • Darian DeVries - Drake
  • Brian Wardle - Bradley
  • Blake Ahearn - Memphis Grizzlies (assistant)
  • Mike Brey - Retired
  • Dustin Kerns - Appalachian State
  • Bruce Weber - Retired
  • Mark Byington - James Madison
  • Bryce Drew - Grand Canyon
  • Mike Morrell - UNC Asheville
  • Chester Frazier - Illinois (assistant)
  • Bucky McMillan - Samford
  • Jake Diebler - Ohio State (interim)
  • Preston Spradlin - Morehead State
  • DeAndre Haynes - Marquette (assistant)
  • Dusty May - Florida Atlantic
  • Pat Kelsey - Charleston
  • Danny Sprinkle - Utah State
  • Tom Crean - Retired
  • Chris Carrawell - Duke (assistant)
  • Chris Harriman - SLU (assistant)
  • Cuonzo Martin - Retired

5 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

@Pistol might need to actually do his job to keep getting paid, or Mrs @Pistol will not be happy….

The next 2 weeks are going to test the strength of my marriage. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Wife and kids will be ignored a lot until we hire a coach.

crymdg2 likes this

I don't think Mack is a candidate anymore.

Schertz is getting some P6 looks now.  He wasn't 3 weeks ago.  

I put zero trust in May to make the right hire and to make a timely hire.  My prediction is we get played by multiple candidates and enable them to get raises or more money at better jobs and then we are forced to hire a 2nd tier guy like Wardle or a retired retread.

A real AD would have had McCollum locked up before Christmas.

TheA_Bomb likes this

18 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

The next 2 weeks are going to test the strength of my marriage. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Wife and kids will be ignored a lot until we hire a coach.

I told my wife I'd watch Love Is Blind with her last night. Little did she know I had my earbud in the opposite ear listening to WPB's Spaces last night. Win-Win