Transfers - 2024

ACE

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Taj79 said:

@Crewsorlose: I can accept your stance on Holmes.  Again, we shall see.  

The Holmes I watched this year was really no different than last year with the exception of the fact he dribbled more up the court than last (unpressured by any other big man ,.... meh) and he took 83 three pointers well above the 26 total he attempted his first two years. Which equated into only 2.5 threes per fame.  In many instances that I saw, one led to the other ....... he'd rebound, dribble the length of the court to the top of the key, and then launch one because the other big didn't bother to cover him.  He made like 32 which is about one per game.  I think he did both of these (dribble and shoot from distance) to say again to the NBA, 'I can do more.'  I'd like to know how many of his makes came from the top of the key because in the games I watched, once off the top of the key, he wasn't that good.

To me, his interior game was one of bully ball.  He overpowered guys like TJ Hargrove and Tre Williams and Phil Alston when covered by such.  Double teams sent at him by Loyola and VCU seemed to stymie him some.  And once outside the restricted zone, where he needed a move or two going away from the basket, I didn't see much.  But he's great on the lower block spin move and dunk.  

To me, outside the occasional dunk, Toppin is a first round bust.  I also think an All-American should be more than a 10th man on an NBA roster but others have failed to launch as well ..... Adam Morrison, Jimmer Fredette, Greg Oden, Jay Williams, Anthony Bennett and so on.  I actually can't wait to see what does become of Holmes going forward.

Not trying to pick on you 79 but Toppin is having a damn good game 2 for a bust. 

22 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Not sure what to make of that.  Perhaps the MVC teams can't compete financially to hold onto their players as well as the A10 and other higher ranked mid-major conferences that may have more NIL resources.

True. There's the inability to hold onto them on one side of it. On the other, some credit has to go to the MVC programs and coaches for getting the HS talent and/or coaching them up to the point of being attractive transfer targets for P5 programs. I imagine the MAC, CAA, Sunbelt, and C-USA schools have similar financial constraints while cranking out less than half the P5 transfers as the MVC.

@willie:  pick away.  One game does not a career make and even a blind squirrel ...well, y'know.  Maybe bust is too strong a word but does a team trade a first round pick if he's performing?  And then the new team goes out and essentially  recruit over him by getting Siakam?  Maybe Obi is just destined to be a supporting role player.  I'll leave it at that and then watch the next great Dayton forward come into NBA play.

21 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@willie:  pick away.  One game does not a career make and even a blind squirrel ...well, y'know.  Maybe bust is too strong a word but does a team trade a first round pick if he's performing?  And then the new team goes out and essentially  recruit over him by getting Siakam?  Maybe Obi is just destined to be a supporting role player.  I'll leave it at that and then watch the next great Dayton forward come into NBA play.

What the hell does Holmes have to do with Toppin anyway? Yes, they went to the same school, but they are different people.

35 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Literally the stupidest argument piled on top of the most obstinate defense. Toppin a key player on a 47 win team in the Conference Semifinals. He was the #8 pick. Of the 7 in front of him, only two, Ant Edwards and LeMelo Ball, have had better careers. Yes, there were awesome players later in that round (Maxey, Haliburton, Bane), but if you did a redraft today, Toppin would go.... right about #8.

This argument is so bad that you have Billiken fans defending a Dayton player. 

4 hours ago, Taj79 said:

He's a solid role player.  The Knicks just drafted him to high.  They already had Julius Randle at PF and Robinson at Center.  They needed a guard (Haliburton) but went with the hometown player.  Indiana traded for Pascal because it's hard getting above average players as Free Agents to go to some of these small market teams.  That was their chance to pair someone up with Haliburton.

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is sobering.

Those are crazy high numbers...and to think that those figures aren't just for one season, schools are going to have to come up with those amounts every year to stay competitive.

Salary cap and revenue-sharing in college sports coming soon?

JMM28 and TheChosenOne like this

1 hour ago, TheBand said:

Those are crazy high numbers...and to think that those figures aren't just for one season, schools are going to have to come up with those amounts every year to stay competitive.

Salary cap and revenue-sharing in college sports coming soon?

And remember, this is the last year that players get a 5th year due to Covid. If it wasn’t for that, the number of players in the portal would have been 23% less this year. When that hits next year, the price is just going up. No way that this is sustainable year after year.

TheChosenOne likes this

5 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

And remember, this is the last year that players get a 5th year due to Covid. If it wasn’t for that, the number of players in the portal would have been 23% less this year. When that hits next year, the price is just going up. No way that this is sustainable year after year.

It is if your team is a perennial winner and goes dancing every year. 

If it is not sustainable it will collapse.  I got a feeling it will be much more sustainable than many believe.  If only because the other options have too many legal issues or are even more expensive.

TheChosenOne likes this

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It is if your team is a perennial winner and goes dancing every year. 

But the people paying are not getting an ownership stake in the team, they are not getting revenue from the team winning. They are just fans who want their university to win. Can you really expect them to contribute ever increasing amounts of money every year? This is not like the money is going to facilities or making the school better. The only way it becomes sustainable is if the money paid to the players comes from ticket sales, TV revenue, advertising revenue. 

19 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-CJS would take a 6'3 with 27.7% from 3?

6'3 guard with a 7 foot wingspan who plays defense. Started for a BXII team and averaged 26 MPG. Gets to the rim. Seems like the perfect complement to Jimerson and Swope and a player who could fit into the system.

TheChosenOne likes this