GDT: SLU v. SIU-Carbondale

SluSignGuy

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

Like I said, I’d be interested in seeing whether that is actually the case. I have some doubts, but love the kid, so I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Jimerson should be an All A10 player easily and a POY candidate. Ford has no clue how to scheme for him as a #1 option. Most coaches would find a way to get 20 open shots for him every game. 

Ford doesn't dictate action or force his will. He takes what the defense gives him. All defenses double Gibson, run him through multiple defenders and mug him on his routes. There is no adjustment. A coach that imposes his teams will would make Gibson a 20 ppg scorer. Jimerson will go down as one of the biggest wastes of talent SLU has ever had, through really no fault of his own.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bamjam said:

Did they change the official score?  It was 101-60... now it's 101-62... almost like someone lobbied to get it under 40...

Wut? Dalger and Thames each made a free throw in the final two minutes AFTER SIU scored their 101st point (on what else, a trey) which at the time made it 101-60. You turned it off early I guess.

7 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Wut? Dalger and Thames each made a free throw in the final two minutes AFTER SIU scored their 101st point (on what else, a trey) which at the time made it 101-60. You turned it off early I guess.

Dalger made 2 FTs to make the score 98-58 but the stat crew screwed up and credited them as misses. Hargrove scored to make it 98-60, then after another SIU three, Dalger and Thames each made a FT. Watching the game, I couldn’t figure out why they took two points off SLU’s count, and they caught their error within a few mins. after the game.

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

Jimerson should be an All A10 player easily and a POY candidate. Ford has no clue how to scheme for him as a #1 option. Most coaches would find a way to get 20 open shots for him every game. 

I agree he would start on 90% of teams in the country and don't dispute your commentary on him as a player. I just would be interested in seeing what he looks like playing in a power 6 league game in and game out. I thought the same with Yuri, first what level of programs would recruit them if they were in the portal and then second what their game looks like in a better league where the competition might be better, but they presumably would be playing a better role for them.

25 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Dalger made 2 FTs to make the score 98-58 but the stat crew screwed up and credited them as misses. Hargrove scored to make it 98-60, then after another SIU three, Dalger and Thames each made a FT. Watching the game, I couldn’t figure out why they took two points off SLU’s count, and they caught their error within a few mins. after the game.

I think most of us were too angry and despondent at that point to notice, good catch. Anyone who had SLU +40, get paid!

NextYearBill likes this

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Yeah, I actually watched the game and didn't realize the later confusion was due to the stats operation. (Or that there WAS confusion.)

Reminds me that a women's game, maybe last week, had the stats for the two schools flipped. Checking on the game score, I thought SLU had won but that wasn't the case. On the stats webpage, the school logos were also flipped to the other team. In one of my news feeds later that day, it again wrongly showed SLU as the winner.

As Abe Lincoln once said, "don't believe everything you read on the internet."

The best comment above since my last post is torch's.  Jimerson would be fantastic as the third option.  And that would be his role:  third option scorer, distance shooter, zone buster.  Much better and more complete than a Travis Relaford, Shawn Haughn, Trent Brown and other long range gunners.  

You can say Meadows, Parker and Jimerson are collectively good enough, but you also need to factor in two other guys who likely need to be well above average to compliment those three.  Perkins his first year here.  Brian Conkiln his senior year.  Dwayne Evans.  Even a Hasahn French.  

You can like Thames and Hughes all you want but they are essentially freshmen having played little to none all last year.  It seems guys are who they are when they get here and rarely go higher.  Conklin was a rare exception.  Perkins game was what it was when he first stepped on the court.  Ditto French.  Goodwin.  Collins.  

What I'm saying is based on the eye test, this is going to be a long year, possibly reminiscent of 9 or 10 years ago.  We don't rebound.  We don't defend.  And we are scoring-challenged.  Roster construction is at the base of this leaky foundation.

What difference does the final score make between 60 or 62. We got our arses kicked by a team that was picked 9th in the MVC. USU was in the process of doing the same until they took their foot off the gas. We were really never in it against Vermont or WSU. Bottom line: we are in real trouble. Does anyone think we can improve going forward? I have serious doubts. 

2 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Really hard to see another win on the schedule without Parker. Maybe Hofstra or Fordham, but it’s totally bleak otherwise.

Just looked into Hofstra yesterday to do a scouting report on MMP. I would expect a loss even if we had Parker.

They've got 2 guys who can really score - 25.0 PPG and 19.1 PPG. One of the most efficient scoring teams in the nation, shooting about 40% from 3 and 80% from the line. Guard-heavy team, shooters everywhere, and they move the ball well. Very dangerous team.

It's a scary time for this team.  Any coach who has seen our last few games can see that you can attack us in the first 5 minutes and end the contest early.  After you start enough games down 15-5, it's easy for players to lose confidence.  If the bad starts continue, so will the lopsided losses.

31 minutes ago, slu72 said:

What difference does the final score make between 60 or 62. We got our arses kicked by a team that was picked 9th in the MVC. USU was in the process of doing the same until they took their foot off the gas. We were really never in it against Vermont or WSU. Bottom line: we are in real trouble. Does anyone think we can improve going forward? I have serious doubts. 

getting Parker back will help; but this is a bottom feeder team that won't be able to win on the road and will drop several home games.

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Just looked into Hofstra yesterday to do a scouting report on MMP. I would expect a loss even if we had Parker.

They've got 2 guys who can really score - 25.0 PPG and 19.1 PPG. One of the most efficient scoring teams in the nation, shooting about 40% from 3 and 80% from the line. Guard-heavy team, shooters everywhere, and they move the ball well. Very dangerous team.

well that's great they'll have plenty of open looks, might even be able to score some 2s against the patented "swiss cheese" defensive scheme of Travis Ford.

Pistol likes this

3 minutes ago, Soderball said:

well that's great they'll have plenty of open looks, might even be able to score some 2s against the patented "swiss cheese" defensive scheme of Travis Ford.

Hoftra's top 2 players combined average 17 3PA. The record at SIUC could be in trouble already.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Hoftra's top 2 players combined average 17 3PA. The record at SIUC could be in trouble already.

the last time SLU gave up triple digits was 1992. I'm still debating with myself if that was worse than the 19 point fiasco at GW.

46 minutes ago, Pistol said:

-this doesn't look good for us

50 minutes ago, Soderball said:

the last time SLU gave up triple digits was 1992. I'm still debating with myself if that was worse than the 19 point fiasco at GW.

Don't undersell us....we scored 20 at GW.  Not sure if I ever posted this here, but this is a wall near my home office area:

image.png

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

I would love this pic if you had the Post Dispatch's edition of the STL Rams' Super Bowl victory.

I actually have the newspaper of the announcement of the Rams moving to StL.  I don't have it for the 2000 Superbowl win (but I do have the Sports Illustrated issue).

I remain a Rams fan.  I followed the team for 10 years when I was away in St. Louis, so it is not all that different now.  Additionally, I want a football team - but don't want to be a bandwagoner.

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

Don't undersell us....we scored 20 at GW.  Not sure if I ever posted this here, but this is a wall near my home office area:

image.png

Great frame ups. I only had a PD subscription for one year, the 99-00 school year. Boy I wish I would have saved RAMS WIN SUPER BOWL, SLU WINS CUSA TOURNEY, and BLUES WIN PRESIDENTS CUP. It was a great year in the Lou.

GoSluBills likes this

19 minutes ago, SluSignGuy said:

I actually have the newspaper of the announcement of the Rams moving to StL.  I don't have it for the 2000 Superbowl win (but I do have the Sports Illustrated issue).

I remain a Rams fan.  I followed the team for 10 years when I was away in St. Louis, so it is not all that different now.  Additionally, I want a football team - but don't want to be a bandwagoner.

F the NFL and F Kroenke and F the LA Rams.

This is terrible. Booooo. Booo sign guy, booooo.

3 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Fair enough and I appreciate the loyalty……only it wasn’t given in return from the hillbilly nor the franchise near the end.

Great frame ups. I only had a PD subscription for one year, the 99-00 school year. Boy I wish I would have saved RAMS WIN SUPER BOWL, SLU WINS CUSA TOURNEY, and BLUES WIN PRESIDENTS CUP. It was a great year in the Lou.

And Nelly bursting onto the music scene. From Spoonball to the Super Bowl loss to the Patriots, St. Louis felt like it was the center of the universe.