Join A Grassroots Movement for Change of AD and MBB Coach

TheA_Bomb

11 hours ago, thetorch said:

Look up the definition of definitive. Then look at what I posted. Not the same.

Put that clown on ignore. He contributes nothing of substance you won't miss anything.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bringing something from the other GDT to spur discussion. DOTMLPF is an acronym for doctrine, organization, training, materiel, leadership and education, personnel, and facilities. This is used to understand the Army or an army or other organization. Let's tweak the framework to assess SLU Athletics and MBB. 

Doctrine: I think this is your offensive and defense scheme. Not sure what our offense is supposed to be, defense is MTM with some 2-3 or 1-3-1 zone about 10% of the time. Ford seems to rely on great players to make offense happen but the system is lacking.

Organization: how is the AD task organized or the basketball staff. Seems to be pretty standard. Hard to tell how is specifically task organized and if this makes sense with span of control and unity of effort by looking at slubillikens.com AD staff directory.

Training: this is practice, I think we see the results. Lack of development, lack of execution on defense.

Material: the team has Nike uniforms they look fine no issues 

Leadership: this is the issue at the AD and at the coach.  What's the vision for the athletic department? Is it communicated? Are people inspired to donate and show up? We've built a new facility through donations, great but it can't just be one thing when so many other things are suffering. Are you inspired by a leader that hides away for months while things are bad? Are you inspired by a leader that"has a plan" "figured it out" only 2 years too late?  A leader that self sabotaged our best chance at an at large bid?

Education: seems fine though this could be the internal education of AD employees. We had an issue with compliance seems like they made a good move to fix it in the hiring of Jakobsze.

Personnel: mixed bag, I'd like to see how many of them would perform better with better leadership. Either basketball players or employees of the AD.  The team assembled was last minute with who was available so not really cohesive.

Facilities: compared to our competition is top notch. No issue there in fact that they are so good is an indictment on the leadership squandering this advantage.

So #1 problem is leadership. Fix that and training and personnel will follow. We have what we need to succeed just need $10mil and 2 new employees to get to where we want to be.

Nothing to see here except the Dayton AD out there updating what is going on, explaining and selling the importance of Dayton's NIL to the whole Dayton Flyers' fanbase.  SLU isn't broke when it comes to NIL, but it just continues to miss chance after chance to be the top NIL in the A10.  It seems it is now intentional and not just incompetency that keeps the BVF an insular group of people who were already part of their club before NIL.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/dayton-ad-alerts-flyer-faithful-about-big-change-in-nil-landscape/V42PFLZX2JE43H3W2H2NNKGOTI/

Edited by brianstl
Pistol, TheA_Bomb, JMM28 and 3 others like this

25 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Nothing to see here except the Dayton AD out there updating what is going on, explaining and selling the importance of Dayton's NIL to the whole Dayton Flyers' fanbase.  SLU isn't broke when it comes to NIL, but it just continues to miss chance after chance to be the top NIL in the A10.  It seems it is now intentional and not just incompetency that keeps the BVF an insular group of people who were already part of their club before NIL.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/dayton-ad-alerts-flyer-faithful-about-big-change-in-nil-landscape/V42PFLZX2JE43H3W2H2NNKGOTI/

Mickey Mouse May running a Mickey Mouse operation in Midtown

The whole NIL question also needs to be evaluated in a supply-versus-demand atmosphere.  Maybe we do have the supply but the demand is missing.  If you are a kid looking to play major college ball and advance your dream to the next level, what incentives are there for you to come to SLU?  Do facilities matter?  There is no tradition of winning.  There is no pipeline of players moving upward.  Game time atmosphere is weak.  Major TV appearances are weak.  The A10 is no draw.  The coach has no history of sustained success.  

If we gave a cool half million to Caleb Love or Ryan Kalbrener, would that even our playing field against Arizona and Creighton?  I doubt it.  Was our evaluation of Meadows, Dalger and Ezewiro sound?  Again, huge doubts.  

Soderball likes this

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Keep it the little club and tell the minions their opinions don’t matter, since they aren’t in said club.  That works out really well…

On 3/3/2024 at 9:42 AM, TheA_Bomb said:

Bringing something from the other GDT to spur discussion. DOTMLPF is an acronym for doctrine, organization, training, materiel, leadership and education, personnel, and facilities. This is used to understand the Army or an army or other organization. Let's tweak the framework to assess SLU Athletics and MBB. 

Doctrine: I think this is your offensive and defense scheme. Not sure what our offense is supposed to be, defense is MTM with some 2-3 or 1-3-1 zone about 10% of the time. Ford seems to rely on great players to make offense happen but the system is lacking.

Organization: how is the AD task organized or the basketball staff. Seems to be pretty standard. Hard to tell how is specifically task organized and if this makes sense with span of control and unity of effort by looking at slubillikens.com AD staff directory.

Training: this is practice, I think we see the results. Lack of development, lack of execution on defense.

Material: the team has Nike uniforms they look fine no issues 

Leadership: this is the issue at the AD and at the coach.  What's the vision for the athletic department? Is it communicated? Are people inspired to donate and show up? We've built a new facility through donations, great but it can't just be one thing when so many other things are suffering. Are you inspired by a leader that hides away for months while things are bad? Are you inspired by a leader that"has a plan" "figured it out" only 2 years too late?  A leader that self sabotaged our best chance at an at large bid?

Education: seems fine though this could be the internal education of AD employees. We had an issue with compliance seems like they made a good move to fix it in the hiring of Jakobsze.

Personnel: mixed bag, I'd like to see how many of them would perform better with better leadership. Either basketball players or employees of the AD.  The team assembled was last minute with who was available so not really cohesive.

Facilities: compared to our competition is top notch. No issue there in fact that they are so good is an indictment on the leadership squandering this advantage.

So #1 problem is leadership. Fix that and training and personnel will follow. We have what we need to succeed just need $10mil and 2 new employees to get to where we want to be.

This  is a good military briefing style analysis of what is wrong with the Bills. Please note that the leadership is identified as THE problem and that leaderships tend to do whatever is necessary and within their control to maintain their position and power. It is possible that May might decide to retain Ford with all the expense and all the incompetence issues involved to exercise a bit of personal CYA. This is an opinion, not a fact based upon analysis as your post is.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

This  is a good military briefing style analysis of what is wrong with the Bills. Please note that the leadership is identified as THE problem and that leaderships tend to do whatever is necessary and within their control to maintain their position and power. It is possible that May might decide to retain Ford with all the expense and all the incompetence issues involved to exercise a bit of personal CYA. This is an opinion, not a fact based upon analysis as your post is.

If May turned the money down last year to keep Ford then he is not in position to do it again if he wants to keep his job.  If the money as Tilly says is there then May will have no choice but to dump Ford as the only means to keep his job.

4 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If May turned the money down last year to keep Ford then he is not in position to do it again if he wants to keep his job.  If the money as Tilly says is there then May will have no choice but to dump Ford as the only means to keep his job.

I came to the conclusion that May's fate was tied to Ford's success after last season. Anyone paying attention noticed there were problems on and off the court. No changes were made.  The problems got worse. So that means they both need to go.  You can't be passive.  

As I posted before, mid season an analyst/consultant could've been hired. Help to improve the practice, the processes. Post season the staff could've been changed. The BVF needed to be engaged to change their strategy. These could've led to real change improvement. Nothing was done proactively. Forte left for UNT, it hit recruiting. BVF is continuing to operate as they have. The compliance was messed up and perhaps a person was fired and that led to what appears to be a good hiring. There is no leadership, there's reaction. Those reactions result in the terrible season we're experiencing.

All of the above would be cheaper than $10mil.  All of the above are things that are done all the time in college athletics and not revolutionary.

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I came to the conclusion that May's fate was tied to Ford's success after last season. Anyone paying attention noticed there were problems on and off the court. No changes were made.  The problems got worse. So that means they both need to go.  You can't be passive.  

As I posted before, mid season an analyst/consultant could've been hired. Help to improve the practice, the processes. Post season the staff could've been changed. The BVF needed to be engaged to change their strategy. These could've led to real change improvement. Nothing was done proactively. Forte left for UNT, it hit recruiting. BVF is continuing to operate as they have. The compliance was messed up and perhaps a person was fired and that led to what appears to be a good hiring. There is no leadership, there's reaction. Those reactions result in the terrible season we're experiencing.

All of the above would be cheaper than $10mil.  All of the above are things that are done all the time in college athletics and not revolutionary.

Agree, there is no leadership, there is reaction. The question in my mind is how long is the "reaction status quo" is going to be tolerated?

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

If we gave a cool half million to Caleb Love or Ryan Kalbrener, would that even our playing field against Arizona and Creighton?  I doubt it.  Was our evaluation of Meadows, Dalger and Ezewiro sound?  Again, huge doubts.  

Ever been in a bar at closing time?  Not a lot of evaluation goes on.  It’s pretty much you’ll work because you’re what’s left and available.  I’m think this is what happened.  

9 minutes ago, Slowry said:

Ever been in a bar at closing time?  Not a lot of evaluation goes on.  It’s pretty much you’ll work because you’re what’s left and available.  I’m think this is what happened.  

Ever been at a bar in Djibouti at closing time? Drinking that Kenyan beer Tusker*?  That's how ya get Aids.

This is kind of like that, basketball Aids and only Magic Johnson level money can cure it for us.

*Actually pretty good, but they usually have Heineken too and something called Desperado which is from France

49 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Ever been at a bar in Djibouti at closing time? Drinking that Kenyan beer Tusker*?  That's how ya get Aids.

This is kind of like that, basketball Aids and only Magic Johnson level money can cure it for us.

*Actually pretty good, but they usually have Heineken too and something called Desperado which is from France

Ha! I’m going to guess you’re one of the few fellows on this board who knows where Djibouti it, let alone been there….and it is amazing how one finds Heineken everywhere - in the most remote corners of the globe.

Amazing Dutch entrepreneurship!

3 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

Ha! I’m going to guess you’re one of the few fellows on this board who knows where Djibouti it, let alone been there….and it is amazing how one finds Heineken everywhere - in the most remote corners of the globe.

Amazing Dutch entrepreneurship!

Heineken is everywhere with the green bottles but different names and it also belongs to InBev, the Brazilian group that bought AB.

Gremio14 likes this

15 hours ago, Old guy said:

Heineken is everywhere with the green bottles but different names and it also belongs to InBev, the Brazilian group that bought AB.

Heineken is also the world’s largest producer of ciders under different names.  My wife loves their Orchard Thieves, which she has had in Ireland, but is not sold in the USA.  Not sure if you can get it in Djibouti. Maybe TheA_Bomb can let us know.

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned this, but Mizzou is looking for a new AD. How about a guy who has extensive experience as an AD in the same state, and who has knowledge of the St Louis market? Chris May to Columbia! Who’s with me on this?

AGB91 likes this