GDT: SLU v. Southern Indiana

SluSignGuy

SLU Men's Basketball Game Notes & Information
Game No. 1 Saint Louis (0-0) vs. Southern Indiana (0-0)
Date // Time Monday, Nov. 6, 2023 // 7 p.m.
Location St. Louis, Mo. (Chaifetz Arena)
Tickets Purchase Now
Radio KMOX 1120 AM (Bob Ramsey, Earl Austin Jr.)
TV Bally Sports Midwest (Scott Warmann, Scott Highmark)
Stream ESPN+ | Bally Sports app and BallySports.com
Live Stats StatBroadcast
Series History First Meeting
Game Notes Saint Louis | Southern Indiana

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the USI Game Notes:  Guess work at this time, but they aren't starting twin towers.

USI Potential Starters

#0 Ryan Hall, Guard, Jr., 6-5 Redshirted in 2022-23

#5 Jack Campion, Guard, So., 5-11 15.6 ppg • 2.4 rpg • 0.6 spg • 2.1 apg

#10 Jack Mielke, Forward, Jr., 6-7 2.4 ppg • 1.4 rpg • 0.3 spg • 0.2 apg

#21 A.J. Smith, Forward, So., 6-6 1.7 ppg • 1.6 rpg • 0.3 spg • 0.4 apg

#50 Nick Hittle, Forward, Jr., 6-10 1.2 ppg • 2.3 rpg • 0.3 spg • 0.0 apg

Just now, Lord Elrond said:

I refuse to be anything but a raging optimist on game day before every game. Roll Bills!!!!

I think Crews challenged that for me haha. But, that is where I find myself as the alternative is not enjoyable for me to think about. Candidly, I have no idea what to expect from this team, but hope to be surprised in a positive way.

Lord Elrond likes this

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Signguy pulling all the stops to make this GDT look legit.  Miss the days of absolutely no info and just a blank box. 

You don't miss my Dad jokes from last season?

If all you have is hope, it does not take too many losses to turn it into disappointment and depression. I really think we will win tonight, however if this does not happen grit your teeth and get ready for the rest of the season. Your hope may survive a small puncture, but not a series of punctures. Maybe faith is the solution to the problems presented by hope, but faith and, even less than faith, trust have never been my strong points. Go Bills, let's keep that tiny spark of hope alive tonight! 

23 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I'm excited for a hot start, big win tonight. We'll see beyond that but for at least one night, it'll be fun. Not trying to be a pr.ick or smart a.s$ with my comment. We have a good enough team to blowout a flat out bad team on opening night. 

Win tonight and only 19 more to go!!! 
😳

Just kidding everyone 

CenHudDude likes this

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I'm excited for a hot start, big win tonight. We'll see beyond that but for at least one night, it'll be fun. Not trying to be a pr.ick or smart a.s$ with my comment. We have a good enough team to blowout a flat out bad team on opening night. 

I believe the kids say: "This is based af"

I see reference above to a win possibly not happening.  If anyone lives in Chesterfield, can you please do a wellness check of me if we lose tonight?!?!

Southern Indiana lost essentially all of their production from a very average team (for their league) a season ago, this will be a laugher. And again, if not, see above.

USI was difficult for us to preview on MMP because they're even more full of unknowns than we are. Top returning scorer averaged 4.9 PPG last season. Lots of transfers, some from power conferences, but no one put up big numbers at their previous schools. Some of them will step up given the amount of opportunity but we just don't know how good they are. One of their bigs will look better than he ever has. One of their guards will get hot from 3. Impossible to tell who those guys will be at this point.

It's probably better to catch them early before they have more experience with one another.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

USI was difficult for us to preview on MMP because they're even more full of unknowns than we are. Top returning scorer averaged 4.9 PPG last season. Lots of transfers, some from power conferences, but no one put up big numbers at their previous schools. Some of them will step up given the amount of opportunity but we just don't know how good they are. One of their bigs will look better than he ever has. One of their guards will get hot from 3. Impossible to tell who those guys will be at this point.

It's probably better to catch them early before they have more experience with one another.

Absolutely correct. The stats predictions made at this stage in the season come from last year. They are, of course, not correct because (at least in the case of tonight's game) they come from two teams that have very few returning players. Tonight could (not should or will) turn out to go in any number of directions, and the current stats available for the two competing teams are significant only because there is no way either of the two teams will manage to play the exact same way they were playing last year. You really cannot say much about transfers to a new team, this statement is accurate if some of the transfers were not playing in a D1 team last year, or if they are foreigners, or if they spent a good portion of last season sitting on the bench. There are just too many unknowns involved in this game to make a close prediction, the stats available do not help at all. We will see what happens tonight. One of the few constants for both teams (assuming Southern Indiana did not change coaches since last year) are the coaches, which will most likely settle down for the season and play their teams like they always do.