ford on 590 now

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

Actually this whole thread is dumb with posters spitballing ideas from out of nowhere.

A simple internet search will tell you exactly how NIL and the collectives work.  There are strict parameters that must be adhered to.  

Simply put here is why our NIL so far has failed.

1. The big donors never contributed because the AD wants them giving to them, not the NIL.

2. The next level donors expected to contribute big money to NIL never materialized because those same donors were the ones who wanted to fire Ford but didn't have enough money to buy him out.

3. All aspects of the BVF geared toward the average fan giving have failed miserably.  No social media presence, a website from 1995, no grassroots marketing at all.

Now we have an athletic dept and a coaching staff who can blame the failure to explain their poor performace.  The cycle continues.

You make a lot of assumptions here which are just that assumptions. 

cgeldmacher likes this

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, willie said:

You make a lot of assumptions here which are just that assumptions. 

Only posting what I've been told and what I've seen firsthand.

If you have a different explanation please give it. I'd love to have info that would make me believe the AD and coaching staff can be successful in the new NIL era.

billiken_roy and Schasz like this

At the end of the day, if we don't have the $$$ to throw around in the NIL Market, we don't have it. I'm glad that Ford has at least figured out a plan and acted on it early. Throwing money we don't have into the transfer market is a good way to f*ck us even further. Hiring two assistants that have a reputation for eyeing international or under the radar talent. We may have been slow to the NIL market, that's on May and Pestello as well as Ford. But now we have a clear plan going forward and there's growing sentiment that there's a bubble on the NIL market. Hopefully we're ahead of the game on that bubble.

cgeldmacher likes this

I like your take on Harriman getting us into the under recruited lnternational market and the other coach being credited with identifying under the radar talent. I think we certainly upgraded our coaching staff. However, not having money to play in NIL is unlikely to put us ahead of any sort of game even if we are seeing it at a potential high point (I have to believe that is the case like you, but I could certainly be wrong as this thing got out of control way faster than I imagined it would). We just seem to be recruiting guys not being as targeted with NIL offers, but it was probably relatively similar even before as the top guys tend to go to the top leagues and programs. The difference is that with NIL there is a factor in the decision making for guys that is more black and white with us seemingly coming up short on. With International players I have more of a belief that they could be flying under the radar since most schools don’t recruit International players nor have the ties like Harriman has. It will be interesting to see whether Ford and crew are able to develop and utilize some of the International talent we are bringing on board. I really do love the idea of targeting International players and ideally the local talent pickups because we will always be able to pull our share of local guys who aren’t like the top 50 type kids.

12 hours ago, thetorch said:

Only posting what I've been told and what I've seen firsthand.

If you have a different explanation please give it. I'd love to have info that would make me believe the AD and coaching staff can be successful in the new NIL era.

I would certainly argue with your second point. I know several of the so called mid level donors who did not want to fire Ford or buy him out. 

Serious question, do you think the NCAA will start to look at this new de-commitment trend we are starting to see? Maybe something about how you have to sit out a year before you are eligible to play? (You could still have 4 years of eligibility if you are a high-school student, you can still practice with the team, but you can’t play in games).  Just a thought.

4 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Serious question, do you think the NCAA will start to look at this new de-commitment trend we are starting to see? Maybe something about how you have to sit out a year before you are eligible to play? (You could still have 4 years of eligibility if you are a high-school student, you can still practice with the team, but you can’t play in games).  Just a thought.

Let's just take sports out of this,  17 or 18 year old student decides to go to Big State U to get their Presidential Scholarship (full ride) and study Electrical Engineering, then gets an offer from MIT for a full ride to study Electrical Egineering so they change their mind and go to MIT.  Do they now have to sit out of engineering classes for a year?

No and it would be dumb to enforce such a rule. So why should we expect anything different from someone that plays a sport? Because he NCAA is involved with arbitrary rules and is now shown to be powerless and inept? I love sports but my love of sports and desire to see a good player on my chosen team can't over ride a students school choice.

The new reality is you gotta recruit until classes start and keep recruiting your own players you want to keep.  Be honest with those that need to move on and constantly be seeking improvement.

1 hour ago, willie said:

I would certainly argue with your second point. I know several of the so called mid level donors who did not want to fire Ford or buy him out. 

Do you know if those people gave to NIL?

2 hours ago, CenHudDude said:
  •  It’s all falling into place now.  First, Travis announced that we would be filling one of the two open spots with another big.  Then John Bol de committed from Florida and announced that he was Re-opening his commitment.  I get it.

I saw that. His “agent” seems like a real dirt ball. 

AGB91 and shempie like this

Let’s face facts here. SLU in our lifetime, despite all the top 50 program talk and relatively new facilities, hasn’t been and never will be serious about big time D1 basketball. I mean, look at how many fans and boosters treat Ford. If you didn’t know better, you’d thought he was in Dean Smith’s league.  The commitment to be great just isn’t there and in a pro sports market, A market that has seen a championship in all four major sports leagues, that’s unacceptable. SLU doesn’t get it. Sports, particularly basketball, pays the bills and puts your school in the national spotlight. At any other program they would be looking for replacements. Any where but here, so I think expectations to be anything better than what they are should be lowered. Grawer should’ve been given the Bobby Bonilla treatment awhile ago, because SLU would be competing with WashU or Missouri Baptist today had it not been for him turning them around.

59 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Let’s face facts here. SLU in our lifetime, despite all the top 50 program talk and relatively new facilities, hasn’t been and never will be serious about big time D1 basketball. I mean, look at how many fans and boosters treat Ford. If you didn’t know better, you’d thought he was in Dean Smith’s league.  The commitment to be great just isn’t there and in a pro sports market, A market that has seen a championship in all four major sports leagues, that’s unacceptable. SLU doesn’t get it. Sports, particularly basketball, pays the bills and puts your school in the national spotlight. At any other program they would be looking for replacements. Any where but here, so I think expectations to be anything better than what they are should be lowered. Grawer should’ve been given the Bobby Bonilla treatment awhile ago, because SLU would be competing with WashU or Missouri Baptist today had it not been for him turning them around.

Commitment includes the best arena in the league, the top coach salary, charter jets, the new facility “student athlete success center or whatever it’s called, recruiting budget enabling Euro recruits….etc. 

2 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Commitment includes the best arena in the league, the top coach salary, charter jets, the new facility “student athlete success center or whatever it’s called, recruiting budget enabling Euro recruits….etc. 

but with one NCAAT appearance in 11 years and 5 in 16 since it opened.

That doesn’t scream Gonzaga to me. Or even VCU.

One should expect to get more bang for their buck, but again, it’s SLU.

1 hour ago, Brighton said:

Those are two separate arguments

On 7/1/2023 at 1:12 PM, TheA_Bomb said:

Let's just take sports out of this,  17 or 18 year old student decides to go to Big State U to get their Presidential Scholarship (full ride) and study Electrical Engineering, then gets an offer from MIT for a full ride to study Electrical Egineering so they change their mind and go to MIT.  Do they now have to sit out of engineering classes for a year?

No and it would be dumb to enforce such a rule. So why should we expect anything different from someone that plays a sport? Because he NCAA is involved with arbitrary rules and is now shown to be powerless and inept? I love sports but my love of sports and desire to see a good player on my chosen team can't over ride a students school choice.

The new reality is you gotta recruit until classes start and keep recruiting your own players you want to keep.  Be honest with those that need to move on and constantly be seeking improvement.

Athletics are not classes.  Classes are the entire reason a university exists.  Not sports.  In the scenario of a kid that backs out of his commitment to go to a school to play basketball, that kid can still take classes at the new school he goes to.  Your comparison is not apples to apples.

On 7/1/2023 at 9:09 PM, Brighton said:

You first claimed SLU was not commited to athletics.  Then, when it was pointed out how that wasn't true, you pivoted your argument. 🙄

Crewsorlose likes this