2023-2024 Roster and Schedule

3 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Now we know why the schedule was so late, they weren’t going to get a lot of season ticket renewals after this got released, so get as many renewals as you can before this gets out.

What Division is Lincoln (MO) in anyway? Div 3? NAIA?

HS

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Now we know why the schedule was so late, they weren’t going to get a lot of season ticket renewals after this got released, so get as many renewals as you can before this gets out.

What Division is Lincoln (MO) in anyway? Div 3? NAIA?

Found the answer, they are Div 2, in the MIAA conference. Does that change anyone’s mind about not renewing season tickets?

37 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Found the answer, they are Div 2, in the MIAA conference. Does that change anyone’s mind about not renewing season tickets?

imo the basically unknown and unproven roster is more of a turnoff than this schedule.   we havent had a world beater schedule in forever.   plenty of the big boys play powderpuff non conference schedules.   i would bet that we tried, but no takers.  last years just win results for the no one understands NET proved our good schedule meant nothing if we didnt win.   

again, you all want to toss arrows, toss them whomever put us in this position with this roster imo.   im just hoping there are some surprises on the roster.  there has to be some reason we basically did nothing over the summer to fix it.

Comparing last year's schedule to this year's schedule by last season't final NET, the schedule is only slightly less difficult this season, as follows:

Overall '22-'23 schedule average NET:  148.0;  '23-'24 schedule average NET:  155.8, only 5% easier than last season.

One assumption is the Myrtle Beach Invitational goes per the '23 NET, which would have SLU defeating Wyoming, losing to College of Charleston, and playing (and defeating) Wichita State.

The nonconference schedule, not including the exempt tournaments, is also only slightly easier in '23-24, an average NET of 146.3 this coming season, vs. 139.9 last season.  The same applies to SLU's A10 games, an average NET of 167.5 in '23-'24 vs. 164.4 in '22-'23. 

In both seasons, SLU played/is playing 1 regular season non-D1 game.

In '22-'23 SLU played 18 home games, 11 away and 2 neutral;  In '23-'24, SLU is playing 16 home games, 12 away, and 3 neutral. 

2 hours ago, Scoop said:

Just because the schedule isn’t that sexy doesn’t mean the team is gonna be bad. Our guards can put it in the hole. This board was practically unreadable last year and it’s easy to take the pulse this year. Wins will garner little praise while losses will produce global melt downs tiredly calling for Fords head. We get it.  Just support the team, enjoy the atmosphere and chill the f*ck out. The coaching situation will work itself out one way or another.  Go Bills.

I was in this camp last year, but I think I’m out for 2023-24. Last year should have been make or break for Ford. It wasn’t, and now we’re going to be even worse (not because of the schedule, but because of our non-existent bigs). It’s going to be a wasted season, unless May has already decided Ford will be back for 2024-25? Which, yea maybe.

I’m pretty chill about it though and would love to praise some wins. It’s nice to have zero expectations vs. setting myself up for our annual flop/situation/Covid/etc.

2 hours ago, willie said:

You and I are going to have to get together and have a bet. 

No problem.

Its just a prediction though. 

Regardless this team isn't making the NCAAs whether we win 12 games or 22 games, not with this roster and not with this schedule. The season is a failure before it begins.

Lame duck seasons are the worst. 

Schasz, JMM28 and TheA_Bomb like this

14 hours ago, Scoop said:

Just because the schedule isn’t that sexy doesn’t mean the team is gonna be bad. Our guards can put it in the hole. This board was practically unreadable last year and it’s easy to take the pulse this year. Wins will garner little praise while losses will produce global melt downs tiredly calling for Fords head. We get it.  Just support the team, enjoy the atmosphere and chill the f*ck out. The coaching situation will work itself out one way or another.  Go Bills.

I don't think the team will be bad, I just don't think the season will be much fun, especially if we go nowhere in postseason play again.

1 hour ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I don't think the team will be bad, I just don't think the season will be much fun, especially if we go nowhere in postseason play again.

You also don't pay for terrible home games, with the  best being on week days. 

As for the team, we still do not know, but we're closer to be being bad than good. And im about as high on our guard play as anyone. 

21 minutes ago, wgstl said:

You also don't pay for terrible home games, with the  best being on week days. 

As for the team, we still do not know, but we're closer to be being bad than good. And im about as high on our guard play as anyone. 

I’m anticipating some promising signs from some of the young guys, with frequent reminders of our inexperience.  I imagine we will show just enough for some Ford supporters to say “give him one more year”.  In reality it should be NCAA or bust, but it won’t since expectations are much lower this year. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The more I read about Meadows, the more I think he will be a pleasant surprise for this team.

I agree.  I love our 1-3.  Between MM, LHJ, parker and Gibby not to mention the newbies, a lot to be excited about. 

As for the Front court... ya. 

13 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’m anticipating some promising signs from some of the young guys, with frequent reminders of our inexperience.  I imagine we will show just enough for some Ford supporters to say “give him one more year”.  In reality it should be NCAA or bust, but it won’t since expectations are much lower this year. 

We no longer care about the program.  It wont be a make or bust, and Im starting to think a 10 win season wont even raise an eye. Im also starting to maybe think we could enter a Crews like era, not as bad, but not far from it. 

The thing that scares me the most about this coming year ---- and increases my desire to watch how it goes --- is Ford's talent development.  In my estimation, he's gotten who he's gotten basically as finished products.  Yes, there was some upward extensions from guys like Goodwin and Bess but for the most part, Foreman, Isabell, French, Hargrove, Bell, Cisse, Diarra, Collins, Traore and even Jimerson were who they were when they got here and stayed that way.  Maybe Dalger and Meadows perform along the lines of Isabell and Foreman.  None of the bigs of the recent past developed any before moving on --- hell, they didn't even play --- and now you're telling me van Bussel, Zhang, Magassa and Sotirov are manning those low block posts (counting on Ezewiro being denied a waiver).  

That being said, it all changes my perspective.  Yes, we have Jimerson but Gibby no longer has Yuri.  Hughes is a project at point guard.  Medley is a freshman.  And Sincere Parker is a relatively complete unknown.  My perspective now becomes show me development, show me how you can coach these guys up.  If you can, great!  If you can't, well there he goes.  

Right now, I'm expecting more befuddling losses than wins.  Right now, sitting close to the action down at the beach in November is a real and exciting curiosity for me.  I honestly can say I have no team expectations right now.  No projections.  No predictions.    I too if I were a season ticket holder, would not be happy with the level of D1 talent coming into the Fetz this OOC but I will watch every game I can and apply the same measuring stick to the performance.  The players.  And the coach.  Bottom line is it's his team.

billiken_roy likes this

25 minutes ago, wgstl said:

We no longer care about the program.  It wont be a make or bust, and Im starting to think a 10 win season wont even raise an eye. Im also starting to maybe think we could enter a Crews like era, not as bad, but not far from it. 

Every returning player on the roster is better than any Crews recruit…success or failure depends on their D.

AGB91 and Billikenbooster like this

1 minute ago, VeniceMenace said:

Every returning player on the roster is better than any Crews recruit…success or failure depends on their D.

Yes, correct.  I mean wins = crowd support will be very low for a bit, I believe. 

30 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-SIU's next home game after us is a visit from OK St, just thought interesting, don't know if it is part of a 3 for 1 or something

Two in Stillwater for one Carbondale.

https://dailyegyptian.com/113614/sports/mens-basketball-announces-series-with-oklahoma-state-cowboys-coming-in-2023/

47 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Every returning player is better than Davell Roby?  Nah.

Yes Roby is officially a Crews recruit, and on that point your assessment is 100% accurate, he was better than some of our returning players. It should be noted that Roby’s interest in attending SLU developed when Majerus was coach and SLU beat Memphis in the tourney…and Majerus was around all the following summer and fall, not exactly the Crewsplatt tandem there when it came to bringing in talent in subsequent years…