2023-2024 Roster and Schedule

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That 2010-2011 team had Jett, Loe, McCall, Evans as freshmen, sophomores Ellis and Remekun, and juniors Conklin and Cassity - and they won 11 games. We revere the core of this group today as one of the best generations of SLU basketball.

I'm willing to entertain the notion that a young core of Hughes, Medley, Thames, and 1-3 of the incoming bigs could be a solid group in another year or two, maybe even just a year if we can keep Dalger, Parker, and Ezewiro around as the veterans.

With so many question marks, it's a big test for the staff now as we figure out how good they are at development and retention.

Mitchell being out that season and losing Reed really hurt that team and ruined what would have been an NCAA team, but I think that team would have still been better than .500 if it wouldn't have been for injuries.  Ellis was never right that year after burning his hands with fireworks before the season and Conklin was dealing with what I think was a high ankle injury all season.

BilliesBy40 likes this

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In each of these sources from before LHJ first stepped on campus as a Billiken, he was described as a "shooting guard."  The one standout portion of his game before he got here was shooting.  Everything else was rather average.  Don't get me wrong, I think he has improved all his other skills since he's been here, but we brought him in because he could shoot, not because he could play PG.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/larry-hughes-jr-to-continue-family-legacy-at-slu/article_2962a4fd-5d09-5184-bf0e-d81b6e658935.html

https://247sports.com/player/larry-hughes-jr-46097325/

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/larry-hughes-jr-260433?view=pv

I just really see this team finishing around 3rd to 6th in the conference again which these days probably equates to an 80-115 overall ranking. So not good enough to actually play meaningful postseason games but likely good enough to keep the status quo going. There is some talent on this roster especially on the offensive side. This team may need to abandon man to man defense before the season even starts. We'll win some games in the non-conference to spark belief. Lay a huge clunker or two in December. Have a solid start to A10 play, have a rough stretch in the dead of winter, finish strong, and then go to the A10 tournament and lay an egg. But we'll win 20 games and won't have any Brett Jolly backboard moments so it will be a season that is truly just "fine".

One very interesting thing for me this season is how Jimerson does without a guy like Yuri. It seems like so many of his 3's came off Yuri assists. I actually think he has some untapped potential as a shot creator but that definitely isn't going to be his strong suit either. I'm guessing his scoring averages will stay the same but may be a lot less efficient. He's a really good player but I am actually a little worried about him this season.

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

To be fair, I'm not sure Hughes and Medley are that far off from Mitchell, McCall and Jett at the same age. 

Now that is a hot take. Those guys were all pretty damn good from the jump. I guess we will see with Medley, but Hughes was nowhere close to those guys in his first season.

Kwamain Mitchell - started 31 of 31 games, averaged 32.2 minutes, 11.0 points, 3.6 assists, 1.2 steal, and 3.2 rebounds

Mike McCall - started 29 of 31 games, averaged 29.3 minutes, 10.4 points, 2.0 assists, 1.0 steals, and 2.1 rebounds - team was dealing with the loss of two starters for the season and numerous injuries likely inflating his stats

Jordair Jett - started 10 of 31 games, averaged 24.1 minutes, 7.5 points, 2.4 assists, 1.4 steals, and 3.1 rebounds - team was dealing with the loss of two starters for the season and numerous injuries likely inflating his stats

Larry Hughes Jr. - started 1 game (played in 27 of 33), averaged 8.7 minutes, 2.5 points, 0.5 assists, 0.4 steals, and 1.1 rebounds

1 hour ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

Majerus was a genius truly capable of developing players who bought into his system. It is impressive where this group started vs where they ended. 

I fully acknowledge we have never had a player developer like Majerus before or since. Just saying there's some potential for this group if we can keep them together.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Mitchell being out that season and losing Reed really hurt that team and ruined what would have been an NCAA team, but I think that team would have still been better than .500 if it wouldn't have been for injuries.  Ellis was never right that year after burning his hands with fireworks before the season and Conklin was dealing with what I think was a high ankle injury all season.

That certainly didn't help, given the short bench. Majerus also didn't have a mentality of needing to win immediately. He wanted to coach up that young group for the future.

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

could be a solid group in another year or two, maybe even just a year if we can keep Dalger, Parker, and Ezewiro around as the veterans.

Does Dalger have any eligibility after this season? Played two seasons at Independence Community College (2019-20 and 2020-21), two at Tulsa (2021-22 and 2022-23), and then this upcoming season at SLU.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Right, calling that an 11 win team without any context is pretty useless. They lost their two best players the day before practice began in the fall. The team was already young to begin with, but to lose their top two returning players (Kwamain averaged 15.9 points, 3.0 assists, 1.4 steals, and 3.0 rebounds and Willie 12.4 points, 7.9 rebounds, 2.1 blocks as sophomores the season before) at that point killed the season. And then you had the injury issues to other key players basically putting a lot of pressure on freshman to produce. Talk about a promising season blown to sh!t before it even started.

brianstl and BilliesBy40 like this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

In each of these sources from before LHJ first stepped on campus as a Billiken, he was described as a "shooting guard."  The one standout portion of his game before he got here was shooting.  Everything else was rather average.  Don't get me wrong, I think he has improved all his other skills since he's been here, but we brought him in because he could shoot, not because he could play PG.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/larry-hughes-jr-to-continue-family-legacy-at-slu/article_2962a4fd-5d09-5184-bf0e-d81b6e658935.html

https://247sports.com/player/larry-hughes-jr-46097325/

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/larry-hughes-jr-260433?view=pv

So are we saying that Ford developed a player?

mhg

40 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Now that is a hot take. Those guys were all pretty damn good from the jump. I guess we will see with Medley, but Hughes was nowhere close to those guys in his first season.

Kwamain Mitchell - started 31 of 31 games, averaged 32.2 minutes, 11.0 points, 3.6 assists, 1.2 steal, and 3.2 rebounds

Mike McCall - started 29 of 31 games, averaged 29.3 minutes, 10.4 points, 2.0 assists, 1.0 steals, and 2.1 rebounds - team was dealing with the loss of two starters for the season and numerous injuries likely inflating his stats

Jordair Jett - started 10 of 31 games, averaged 24.1 minutes, 7.5 points, 2.4 assists, 1.4 steals, and 3.1 rebounds - team was dealing with the loss of two starters for the season and numerous injuries likely inflating his stats

Larry Hughes Jr. - started 1 game (played in 27 of 33), averaged 8.7 minutes, 2.5 points, 0.5 assists, 0.4 steals, and 1.1 rebounds

I just remember lots of TO by Jett his first 2 years.

mhg

27 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Does Dalger have any eligibility after this season? Played two seasons at Independence Community College (2019-20 and 2020-21), two at Tulsa (2021-22 and 2022-23), and then this upcoming season at SLU.

This is his last year of eligibility 

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

That 2010-2011 team had Jett, Loe, McCall, Evans as freshmen, sophomores Ellis and Remekun, and juniors Conklin and Cassity - and they won 11 games. We revere the core of this group today as one of the best generations of SLU basketball.

I'm willing to entertain the notion that a young core of Hughes, Medley, Thames, and 1-3 of the incoming bigs could be a solid group in another year or two, maybe even just a year if we can keep Dalger, Parker, and Ezewiro around as the veterans.

With so many question marks, it's a big test for the staff now as we figure out how good they are at development and retention.

i'd agree if the landscape of college basketball was still the same.   but our very good recruiting head coach has lost his mojo due to the NiL b.s. which seems to nullify that aspect of coaching.   now its all about the dollars.

then couple that with our coach's development and game coaching weakness i just dont see it.  

DOC, Pistol and someoneelse like this

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

per minute he's up there with all 3 on points

3 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I suggest looking at the surrounding players for the three teams in discussion to factor in competition for playing time.  Jeff and McCall were freshmen in 10-11.  The other wings/guards were Salecich, Cassity, Eckerle and Barnett.  Not exactly heavy competition.  And as you stated, injuries played a factor into their playing time.

When Mitchell joined in 08-09, the other wings/guards were Lisch, Liddell III, Cassity and Eckerle.  Mitchell, Lisch, and Liddell III all started.   Cassity and Eckerle combined for fewer minutes that Mitchell.  There was an obvious need for Mitchell to start.

This past season, the guards/wings as you know were Collins, Jimerson, Perkins, and Parker.  Would have McCall, Mitchell or Jett started over Collins, Jimerson or Perkins?  Everyone can guess, but no one knows - it didn't happen. 

All I'm saying is that comparing numerical stats has a bias in it.  Will Medley and Hughes Jr be as good as McCall, Jett or Mitchell, after he completes their Billiken career.  I'm willing to wait and find out. But fun to talk about.

If you take Jimerson away, we look a lot like an 11 win team on paper.  Dalger is the only other player on the roster who has averaged double figures at this level and he did it for a horrible team.

But we do have Jimerson.  Plus a bunch of other guys trying to find their way and veteran role players from other teams.  What does that equal in the A10?  I dunno.

4 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Spot On.

I like Hughes.  He was not in the same league as Mitchell and McCall as a freshman.  Cian, who knows, but the coaching staff has not projected him as a starter his first season.

Its that time of the offseason where delusions of grandeur reign supreme.  This team is going to be bad.  Play in game bad.  Prepare yourselves.

6 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, my mistake.

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

Spot On.

I like Hughes.  He was not in the same league as Mitchell and McCall as a freshman.  Cian, who knows, but the coaching staff has not projected him as a starter his first season.

Its that time of the offseason where delusions of grandeur reign supreme.  This team is going to be bad.  Play in game bad.  Prepare yourselves.

I don’t know what to expect, but if we are looking at proven production, there just isn’t much there. Now, that doesn’t mean folks can’t expect a guy like Parker to take a big step forward or Hughes (I have no clue, I don’t go to practice and candidly didn’t focus much on either guy this past winter) or even Ezewiro assuming he is eligible to play this season. I do think the lack of strength of the league is important to note though, I have a tough time seeing us being anywhere outside of the top half of the league. If you end up being right, the board is getting together at a local bar for that play-in game and I’ll buy your drinks because we will all need it!

SLU_Nick likes this

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

Spot On.

It’s that time of the offseason where delusions of grandeur reign supreme.  This team is going to be bad.  Play in game bad.  Prepare yourselves.

Ehh…I’d argue that Ford would have sat freshman Kwamain behind yuri anyway.  Ford had complete tunnel vision.  

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I don’t know what to expect, but if we are looking at proven production, there just isn’t much there. Now, that doesn’t mean folks can’t expect a guy like Parker to take a big step forward or Hughes (I have no clue, I don’t go to practice and candidly didn’t focus much on either guy this past winter) or even Ezewiro assuming he is eligible to play this season. I do think the lack of strength of the league is important to note though, I have a tough time seeing us being anywhere outside of the top half of the league. If you end up being right, the board is getting together at a local bar for that play-in game and I’ll buy your drinks because we will all need it!

We can't be that bad, Crews level pillow fight bad, can we be?  If that happens, tell me the local bar so maybe I can appear by Zoom.  

I was at the Loyola Chicago road game, the game Sincere Parker and Larry Hughes, Jr. won for SLU in the de facto 2nd Quarter, when the starters were in foul trouble.  They were bombing away right in front of our end zone seats, and LHJ handled the ball flawlessly. They can both play ball, are much better players than A10 PIG level. 

17 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

It is a hot take, and maybe I was reaching with Mitchell but I will stand by McCall and Jett. I will be interesting to see what Medley and Hughes put out there this season.

21 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It is a hot take, and maybe I was reaching with Mitchell but I will stand by McCall and Jett. I will be interesting to see what Medley and Hughes put out there this season.

I am all for it. I think Mitchell was the only one that stood out as making it a hot take for me haha, but who am I to say when we haven't even seen Medley's freshman season. Similar to Jett and McCall, Medley is stepping onto a roster likely needing him to provide big minutes from day #1 and Jett and McCall had more typical freshman seasons for solid recruits having to play early in their career.

51 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I am all for it. I think Mitchell was the only one that stood out as making it a hot take for me haha, but who am I to say when we haven't even seen Medley's freshman season. Similar to Jett and McCall, Medley is stepping onto a roster likely needing him to provide big minutes from day #1 and Jett and McCall had more typical freshman seasons for solid recruits having to play early in their career.

JGood had a great freshman year playing a decent amount at the point guard spot. I may be mistaken but think that’s when/how he got the triple double. 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

JGood had a great freshman year playing a decent amount at the point guard spot. I may be mistaken but think that’s when/how he got the triple double. 

Correct. He got the triple-double in the midst of an absolute tear that January. He missed a triple-double the game before by 1 point and 1 rebound, and the game after he missed another triple-double by 2 assists. He then put up 15 pts, 10 rebounds, and 2 assists against VCU.