GDT: VCU; Which animal has the most memory?

SluSignGuy

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

if you contend it was all on the players, then why doesnt ford bench those players that were the constant problem and not doing what they were directed to du?   it is indeed on him.   if the players were defying his orders, they shouldnt be playing.  

Was WGSTL being sarcastic when saying, “Not Ford’s fault”?

Lando Griffin likes this

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford needs at least 7 more years in my opinion. The man has consistently finished 4th-6th in the great Atlantic 10. It would be so scary if we had to start over in the transfer portal era with an established NIL fund.

Just think about it, if not for covid in 2020, we definitely would have ended Daytons 20 game win streak and made the tournament and even though Ford had only won 1 NCAA game in 20 years, he would have doubled that in 2020 because we were red hot with an incredible 5 wins in a row even though none of them were against the top 3 teams in the conference. And then we would have built momentum from there and we'd be the next Gonzaga. 

And you have to look at it this way. There is only 1 team every season that gets hit hard by injuries. If there were more than 1 ream, it wouldn't be an excuse. So there is really only a like a 0.29% chance that it's your team each season. Here is a list of the teams who have been hit hard by injuries since 2010

2010: Oklahoma St

2011: Oklahoma St

2012: Oklahoma St

2013: Oklahoma St

2014: Oklahoma St

2015: Oklahoma St

2016: Oklahoma St

2017: Saint Louis

2018: Saint Louis

2019: Saint Louis

2020: Saint Louis

2021: Saint Louis

2022: Saint Louis

2023: Saint Louis 

So as you can see, it's only fair to give Ford 7 more years to see if his luck changes. We are recruiting Texas hard and eventually we'll see huge results there after 2 or 3 more years. Things are looking up!

10 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Apathy has set in for me.  Not only for this year, but next if ford returns.  I will go to the Dayton game and I will root for them to go on some fairytale run in the A10 tourney, but not expecting much.  

This! 
When they play a decent team I expect them to lose. I wasn’t  ticked off after last nights loss because I started preparing for the loss immediately following the Loyola game.

The Dayton game will be the same way. I’ll be there and I’ll enjoy myself but how upset can I be when I already know the outcome?

I expect them to lose to decent teams and I am relieved when they beat a bad team. 

Adman and Dr. Holly Hills like this

21 minutes ago, dlarry said:

This! 
When they play a decent team I expect them to lose. I wasn’t  ticked off after last nights loss because I started preparing for the loss immediately following the Loyola game.

The Dayton game will be the same way. I’ll be there and I’ll enjoy myself but how upset can I be when I already know the outcome?

I expect them to lose to decent teams and I am relieved when they beat a bad team. 

Its still amazing to me some people think you cant actively cheer for SLU and still want a coaching change. 

slufan13 and BC1764 like this

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

if you contend it was all on the players, then why doesnt ford bench those players that were the constant problem and not doing what they were directed to du?   it is indeed on him.   if the players were defying his orders, they shouldnt be playing.  

When you are the sheriff you have to pull your gun once in awhile.  Accountability is a tough thing to do but it is the only way out of the forest when you need to depend on it.

@willie: not to argue with you but rather to agree ---- this team just can't play any defense.  VCU shoots like crap from distance, we give them layups.  Richmond can't score inside the arc, we give them 17 made threes.  Duquesne gets 15 threes.  For a program that always seemed to pride itself on the defensive end, we suck.  Amazing and baffling.

P.S.: I rescind my earlier statement on Okoro's absence.  Sickness it was.

32 minutes ago, dlarry said:

This! 

This was the point of my question in another thread - has Ford beaten any team that he was not favored in?  The answer I got was that he beat Providence which was picked to win by one.  The problem is when you play a team on a neutral floor and are listed to lose by one that is simply a toss up in reality so the answer is NO.  Now the next question would be how many teams has he lost to that he was favored to win?

14 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

This was the point of my question in another thread - has Ford beaten any team that he was not favored in?  The answer I got was that he beat Providence which was picked to win by one.  The problem is when you play a team on a neutral floor and are listed to lose by one that is simply a toss up in reality so the answer is NO.  Now the next question would be how many teams has he lost to that he was favored to win?

This is where I’ve been at all year. Ford is a lock to blow some games we should win, but can never pull out an upset to offset those Ls. The only recent one I can think of was Boise St last season. You gotta go back to 2019-20 to find more and even then, those weren’t huge upsets, just tough wins. 

15 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Isn’t he 0 for his career at Saint Louis U against ranked opponents?

I know we don’t get a ton of opportunities against top 25 teams but you’d think we would get lucky once in 7 years.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

i do not blame Jimerson, perkins, hargrove, or any of the players without the ball.    If you notice the offense starts off with two of the wings standing in the corner.   the center setting up on a low block and one wing within passing distance of the point guard.   the offense starts once across half court with a 3 pass or handoff shuffle likely in an effort to control clock and run time then yuri goes into hero ball which is at best a 50/50 chance for success.   those you mention above are only safety valves.  

my point is i believe the entire offense designed by ford is designed to be initiated and executed by yuri.   yuri and perkins and hargrove are likely told to stay out of the lane as some point in the possession so as not to drag a help defender with them.    so i wont knock jimerson, perkins, hargrove etc.   this is ford's grand scheme imo.   same reason yuri is allowed to play with 8 turnovers.  it's on ford.   

ironically our best runs for the season or even last night were when yuri was pushing the ball and we were finding perkins, hargrove, jimerson, etc on the break or for their drives from the wing.  and as you said, then it just stops.  frustrating for all concerned.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i do not blame Jimerson, perkins, hargrove, or any of the players without the ball.    If you notice the offense starts off with two of the wings standing in the corner.   the center setting up on a low block and one wing within passing distance of the point guard.   the offense starts once across half court with a 3 pass or handoff shuffle likely in an effort to control clock and run time then yuri goes into hero ball which is at best a 50/50 chance for success.   those you mention above are only safety valves.  

my point is i believe the entire offense designed by ford is designed to be initiated and executed by yuri.   yuri and perkins and hargrove are likely told to stay out of the lane as some point in the possession so as not to drag a help defender with them.    so i wont knock jimerson, perkins, hargrove etc.   this is ford's grand scheme imo.   same reason yuri is allowed to play with 8 turnovers.  it's on ford.   

ironically our best runs for the season or even last night were when yuri was pushing the ball and we were finding perkins, hargrove, jimerson, etc on the break or for their drives from the wing.  and as you said, then it just stops.  frustrating for all concerned.  

I think the offense looks so ugly at times because this team is at it’s best when it’s on the break. Yuri is great at finding guys ins transition. Yet we’re rarely on the break b/c we can’t force any turnovers or we’re forced to slow down in transition late in the second half because the team (mostly Yuri) is gassed.

29 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I know we don’t get a ton of opportunities against top 25 teams but you’d think we would get lucky once in 7 years.

He apparently doesn't even beat non top 25 teams that are favored.  

32 minutes ago, dlarry said:

0-9

Just now, cheeseman said:

Every coach we have recently has beat a ranked opponent at least once.  Sodie got roasted for his recruiting but he could coach defense with the best of them and we got rid of him why not Ford?

One of his teams beat #2 Louisville at the Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade/Enterprise Center.

Our current guy is being paid millions with only one fluke run to the NCAAs to show for them.

39 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm crediting the best point guard on the floor last night for taking Jimerson out of the game.  I'm not sure there was much that could be done to free him up from the defense the best PG put on him.  He certainly got into Jimerson's head.  Jimerson was hesitant most of the second half to even attempt a shot. Several times in the second half he had the ball in a position to shoot but didn't.

I'm giving credit to VCU's defense as much as anything else for their W.

26 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

He wanted to come here. We didn't have room for him at the time. 

That's not true. A quote from Kern in the Richmond paper prior to him playing at SLU earlier this year.

“Even though I wanted to get out of there, that’s still my city,” he said.

stmdragons likes this

55 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Yes.  Majerus teams routinely beat ranked opponents, although many of those were in-conference when the conference was much stronger.  Think Butler was ranked each game the season we beat them three times.  They definitely were ranked for the first two anyway.  I don’t think NET was a thing yet, but that’s three Quad-1 victories. How many Quad 1 opportunities have we even had this year?

34 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

One of his teams beat #2 Louisville at the Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade/Enterprise Center.

Our current guy is being paid millions with only one fluke run to the NCAAs to show for them.

Maybe Brad would consider coming back. Might have an easier time recruiting now that he has a national title on his resume.

I would have to think Ford’s on a very hot seat. I could see them giving him one more year largely because of the rumored big buyout. To save his job he’s going to have to hit a couple of grand slams in the Portal, but, even then, it won’t provide the results we’re all want. At OKS and here he’s had the talent to win at a higher level but can’t get over the hump. 25 years as a HC and only 1 tournament W to show for it is nothing to crow about. The powers that be have to share the concerns expressed here that Travis may not be the answer. They had the same expectations for this season that we, and the national press, had. Unless he pulls a Giant Rabbit out of his hat in Brklyn, you have to think the powers that be are telling him next year or else….