GDT: VCU; Which animal has the most memory?

SluSignGuy

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

No it doesn’t.  As long as Ford is their coach.

Can’t argue if okoro wins it or not. What we can argue is that ford doesn’t see what everyone else sees and makes no adjustments and loses us the game. 

19 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

How did we beat Providence and Memphis? Did that actually happen?

I think we are easy to scout. Non conference teams don’t spend that much time game planning against us. VCU knew how to take Gibson out of the game and pressure the ball creating the fifty thousand turnovers. Non conference teams don’t know our weaknesses like conference teams do.  Unfortunately we have a lot of structural weaknesses. 

The expected happened.  We hit six threes the first half.  Rhoades made adjustments and we finished with seven made threes.  Forrester and Hargrove were great.  Better than great.  Pickett cannot play against athletic teams.  LHJ was decent.  Cisse can start an off season weight and practice plan.  That guy is lost.  Collins had 8 turnovers; Gibson started the second half with three straight.  How can a 6'5" guard not be able to post a 6'0' defender not even once.  I asked someone at the game about Okoro's "illness" and was told "maybe maybe not."  Hmmm.  Attitude issue?  Let me know.

For those calling for a zone, why?  It was obviosu that our defenders couldn't stop Watkins, Nunn or Kern on drives.  With the gap in the middle, VCU was marching to the rim for layups.  VCU can't really shoot threes outside of Shriver.  Two of thirteen with both makes by Shriver.  Maybe a pack zone to block the middle drives would have worked but one is not in Coach Ford's repetoire.  

Once again, I come back to the question of just what does our offense do?  Second half is purely the Yuri Collins/Curley Neal show.  Everything else becomes one-on-one basketball.  And if Perkins can't drive and Parker is glued to the bench, just who does that gig fall on?  

While I thought the refs were their usual bad selves, every time a VCU player skated, it was a foul on us.  Baldwin.  Johns.  Nunn.  Was there a single traveling call?  I doubt it.  All Kern and Watkins do is drive.  Let them shoot it.  The game was there for the taking but I don't believe Ford made any necessary adjustments.  Rhoades did.  

This team is extremely predictable and every coach in the A10 knows it.  Get us to crunch time and we will slow the game down and rely on Collins.  And it doesn't work.  This team is going nowhere fast.  

4 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The expected happened.  We hit six threes the first half.  Rhoades made adjustments and we finished with seven made threes.  Forrester and Hargrove were great.  Better than great.  Pickett cannot play against athletic teams.  LHJ was decent.  Cisse can start an off season weight and practice plan.  That guy is lost.  Collins had 8 turnovers; Gibson started the second half with three straight.  How can a 6'5" guard not be able to post a 6')' defender not even once.  I asked someone at the game about Okoro's "illness" and was told "maybe maybe not."  Hmmm.  Attitude issue?  Let me know.

For those calling for a zone, why?  It was obviosu that our defenders couldn;t stop Watkins, Nunn or Kern on drives.  With the gap in the middle, VCU was marching to the rim for layups.  VCU can't really shoot threes outside of Shriver.  Two of thirteen with both makes by Shriver.  Maybe a pack zone to block the middle drives would have worked but one is not in Coach Ford's repetoire.  

Once again, I come back to the question of just what does our offense do?  Second half is purely the Yuri Collins/Curley Neal show.  Everything else becomes one-on-one basketball.  And if Perkins can't drive and Parker is glued to the bench, just who does that gig fall on?  

While I thought the refs were their usual bad selves, every time a VCU player skated, it was a foul on us.  Baldwin.  Johns.  Nunn.  Was there a single traveling call?  I doubt it.  All Kern and Watkins do is drive.  Let them shoot it.  The game was there for the taking but I don't believe Ford made any necessary adjustments.  Rhoades did.  

This team is extremely predictable and every coach in the A10 knows it.  Get us to crunch time and we will slow the game down and rely on Collins.  And it doesn't work.  This team is going nowhere fast.  

I understand your point on the zone but if you can’t guard/stop drives in the man try something else. I totally agree on our predictability. 

1 minute ago, willie said:

I understand your point on the zone but if you can’t guard/stop drives in the man try something else. I totally agree on our predictability. 

I don’t fricking care about what happened defensively.  We bailed on what worked offensively 

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I don’t fricking care about what happened defensively.  We bailed on what worked offensively 

We bailed on what worked on offensive, we bailed on what worked on defense. Lots of bailing for no reason…

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The game was lost on the defensive side. Giving up the drives puts you behind. We don’t know how to play from behind leading to hero ball. 

11 minutes ago, willie said:

Zone and pack it in.  If they hit every three from then on, you shrug your shoulders and move on or go back to man.  But they went on a 7-0 run when they went to the zone and VCU couldn’t shoot.  

if nothing else at least keep them out of the paint where they just got crushed.  Got to mix it up, if nothing else then to throw them off.

willie likes this

A lay up a lay up my kingdom for a lay up.  How many did we miss?  Make 50% and we win. Also our FT shooting at the end did not help either.  I missed why Francis was not there?  I do agree that Ford does not know how to make adjustments and because of that this team will never meet our expectations.  If we lose to Dayton then there is a good chance of this team not winning 20 games the seemingly number that some hang their hat on even though it has been years since that mark meant anything.  One more year is about all I can stomach of Ford unless he has an epiphany this off season.  Ford will be back next year and the grumblings will only get louder.

BC1764 likes this

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

A lay up a lay up my kingdom for a lay up.  How many did we miss?  Make 50% and we win. Also our FT shooting at the end did not help either.  I missed why Francis was not there?  I do agree that Ford does not know how to make adjustments and because of that this team will never meet our expectations.  If we lose to Dayton then there is a good chance of this team not winning 20 games the seemingly number that some hang their hat on even though it has been years since that mark meant anything.  One more year is about all I can stomach of Ford unless he has an epiphany this off season.  Ford will be back next year and the grumblings will only get louder.

Stu said it was an illness.

cheeseman likes this

59 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Apathy has set in for me.  Not only for this year, but next if ford returns.  I will go to the Dayton game and I will root for them to go on some fairytale run in the A10 tourney, but not expecting much.  

6 hours ago, wgstl said:

Not fords fault 

if you contend it was all on the players, then why doesnt ford bench those players that were the constant problem and not doing what they were directed to du?   it is indeed on him.   if the players were defying his orders, they shouldnt be playing.