GDT: La Salle; Why didn’t Han Solo enjoy his steak dinner?

SluSignGuy

27 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

We lost to SIUE at home with Fred Thatch

I 100% agree with you, we lost to SIUE with Fred Thatch. But that isn't what you said. Now if your opinion is that Fred Thatch isn't a big injury then I will respectfully disagree and we can move on.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, jonny karate said:

Think slu will get any ncaa tournament points for having yuri on the team? The see factor or need to have that guy in the tournament factor?

Yuri’s presence on the SLU team can’t hurt when it comes down to the nitty gritty, the separation of the sheep and the goats. 

2 minutes ago, jonny karate said:

Think slu will get any ncaa tournament points for having yuri on the team? The see factor or need to have that guy in the tournament factor?

That and I think we pass the eye test if we can get our net to a reasonable number. I think they would get us in based on Yuri and the hype we had and some of our wins. I also don't believe the A10 is a one bid league. But got a lot of games left with work to be done.

I’m even hearing about SIUe up here in Quincy. But that also makes my point- There is slim (to no) margin for error (i.e. SIUe) for SLU in the A10, not with the way the NET is now composed.  SLU has to be close to perfect in the non-conference. This does not allow a team like this year’s team to develop, improve as the season progresses, vis-a-vis an NCAA At Large Bid.

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I’m even hearing about SIUe up here in Quincy. But that also makes my point- There is slim (to no) margin for error (i.e. SIUe) for SLU in the A10, not with the way the NET is now composed.  SLU has to be close to perfect in the non-conference. This does not allow a team like this year’s team to develop, improve as the season progresses, vis-a-vis an NCAA At Large Bid.

Something that is pretty disgusting with the net rating is the incentive to run up the score on weaker opponent.  This also destroys a lot of garbage and non-garbage time opportunities for the end of the bench......

31 minutes ago, shempie said:

I 100% agree with you, we lost to SIUE with Fred Thatch. But that isn't what you said. Now if your opinion is that Fred Thatch isn't a big injury then I will respectfully disagree and we can move on.

Our at-large chances arguably died with the home loss to Boise St and definitely died with the loss to SIUE. Since Fred was there for both of those, his injury can’t be used as an excuse for us not getting an at-large this season.

almaman and TheA_Bomb like this

20 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

This is actually the exact opposite. They will get SOS credit for playing a difficult non-con schedule. The reason the NET is so low the overall weakness of the A10 and losing @UMass and at home vs. SIUE. Those are quad 3 and 4 losses.

Giving away the Boise and Auburn games also blew a chance to have a winning record in Q1 games which currently stands at 1(Providence)-4. Maryland and Iona were blowouts that never were going to be Ws. 3-2 would have the NET probably in the 40s. 

12 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

This is actually the exact opposite. They will get SOS credit for playing a difficult non-con schedule. The reason the NET is so low the overall weakness of the A10 and losing @UMass and at home vs. SIUE. Those are quad 3 and 4 losses.

Giving away the Boise and Auburn games also blew a chance to have a winning record in Q1 games which currently stands at 1(Providence)-4. Maryland and Iona were blowouts that never were going to be Ws. 3-2 would have the NET probably in the 40s. 

SIUe is spot on, the worst loss on our resume, the most damaging for the NET and the eye test. Do we get that one as the mulligan? Creighton would, we probably don’t. Do we even get a single mulligan? 

Boise State and Auburn are both likely NCAA teams. We probably should have beaten Boise State at home, but losing a close game to them is not a killer. A win at Auburn would have been an upset. Iona more likely than not also dances, but also has no margin for error in the Juan Bid MAAC, must win its post-season tournament. 

The NET is further Power 5 skewed, the 10 point cap on margin of victory scrapped, blowout encouragement baked into the efficiency component. 

We're 4-5 against the Big East in the Chaifetz Arena era, including a loss to Notre Dame (who I would argue is a better program than your average team in today's Big East). We're 3-3 against the Big East under Travis Ford.

The idea that we aren't worthy, couldn't compete, or would need higher level recruits to compete in the Big East is off base.

45 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

I think his point is that while FT injury is a big deal, it's not the reason we lost vs SIUE or any of our other games. 

I absolutely love Fred. One of my favorite all time players but I think you can make the point that losing him could have helped the team. It opens up minutes for Parker and TJ. Parkers offense may be more beneficial than Fred's defense. 

4 hours ago, dennis_w said:

nil money is supposed to come from "outside" of the school, no sure if the BoT can stop it even if they want to. I am with you a total rebuild with a new coach can go either way good or bad, better we talk about the season after its done

i think that the "outside" aspect has since been at least informally discarded.   too much evidence the big boys and more active programs are completely involved it seems to me.  at least from a coordination aspect.  

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The Big East is getting at least 5:  Xavier, Marquette, UConn, Providence and Creighton. 

Forgot that UConn joined. Wouldn't be surprised if one of those teams craters though. Point remains, if were the 6th team, we'd be moaning. BC hasn't danced since 2009. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to join the Big East. I just don't think it's easier to make the tourney as a power conference team. We've gone to the NCAAs in 4 of the past 10 years. 

31 minutes ago, Compton said:

We're 4-5 against the Big East in the Chaifetz Arena era, including a loss to Notre Dame (who I would argue is a better program than your average team in today's Big East). We're 3-3 against the Big East under Travis Ford.

The idea that we aren't worthy, couldn't compete, or would need higher level recruits to compete in the Big East is off base.

Again, I'd love to be in the Big East. This team isn't a tourney team in any conference unless it's winning a conference tourney. That's my only point.

29 minutes ago, willie said:

I absolutely love Fred. One of my favorite all time players but I think you can make the point that losing him could have helped the team. It opens up minutes for Parker and TJ. Parkers offense may be more beneficial than Fred's defense. 

TJ's case has nothing to do with Fred, though we still may have seen less minutes from his with Fred.  Same with Parker, most JUCO players I've seen take about this long to get going. 

If Parker keeps this up, I agree with your last part.  And if THJ defense continues to improve like it has recently, maybe the minutes for those 2 make us better as a team. 

1 minute ago, Crewsorlose said:

Again, I'd love to be in the Big East. This team isn't a tourney team in any conference unless it's winning a conference tourney. That's my only point.

Id rather be middle of the pack BE than middle of the pack A10... 

JMM28 likes this

6 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Forgot that UConn joined. Wouldn't be surprised if one of those teams craters though. Point remains, if were the 6th team, we'd be moaning. BC hasn't danced since 2009. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to join the Big East. I just don't think it's easier to make the tourney as a power conference team. We've gone to the NCAAs in 4 of the past 10 years. 

It’s way easier… 

23 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

35 teams from the Power 6 made the tournament last year. Big 10 (9), SEC, Big 12, Big East (6), ACC (5), PAC (3). Of course it is easier. That is over half the bids. Aside from the advantages these teams get from the computer, the prestige of the conferences along with the built in likelihood these schools will receive a bid gives them a huge recruiting advantage. Every team outside the P6 has to contend with this. 

27 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

That's yet to be determined. This team could develop over the course of the season. It already has. We've already seen LHJ step up and contribute when the opportunity presented itself. TJ has had a strong start to conference play. Perkins is finally being more of the Perkins we're used to. Folks think Parker's game can achieve new heights.

If you are SLU and have some bad non-con losses, put together some winning streaks, and end near the top of the A10, you're right, you still have to win the A10 tourney. If you're in the Big East, have a mediocre non-con, then rattle off a bunch of wins and end with a top 4 or 5 conference record, you very well might be dancing.

3 hours ago, willie said:

Why are you a former Billiken Club Member? If you care enough to be on this board you can still support the program thru the Billiken Club. 

Willie...I have not lived in St. Louis since 1996. Moved a few times since then. In '96 to the Seattle area and from 2000 to now 3 different moves in Florida. Don't see the need to continue to be a member when I can't attend meetings. Back in my St. Louis days made many trips with the Club for close by road games.

8 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Willie...I have not lived in St. Louis since 1996. Moved a few times since then. In '96 to the Seattle area and from 2000 to now 3 different moves in Florida. Don't see the need to continue to be a member when I can't attend meetings. Back in my St. Louis days made many trips with the Club for close by road games.

Far be it for me to tell you how to spend your money but this is how you can support the team you root for. There are no meeting and few perks. It's how you financially support the program. 

JMM28 likes this

3 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-because all of those funds go to Knoxville?

Neither I nor my wife who is the UT Alum send ANY of our money to Knoxville. How can a goof like you even write something asinine like that about anyone that you don't personally know. Yes, I do root for my wife's alma mater just as she did when she attended Billiken games both home and away games when we lived in St. Louis. I don't see any reason why I should not root for the Vols. Their sports teams have been very successful and fun to root for.

Ironbills and David King like this