GDT: La Salle; Why didn’t Han Solo enjoy his steak dinner?

SluSignGuy

SLU is 6-1 in the A10, currently tied with a flawed and beatable VCU team for First Place in the A10, one game ahead of 5-2 Dayton. With a NET (BTM- Power 5 Bid Transference Metric) of 87, SLU at this point must still win the A10 Tourney to dance. But winning the A10 Tourney is doable for this SLU team, which has as good of a shot as anyone else to win it. Dayton has a long history of laying eggs in the A10 Tourney. 

Finish in the Top 4, hopefully 1st, and let’s all give hope a chance. 

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

What you said was if we fans have to diagnose his problems. Maybe I misunderstood your meaning but that too me says fans are diagnosing problems Ford wasn’t aware of. 

Hell, the problems aren’t really hard to diagnose, it’s how to fix it with our current roster. We need Jim, Perk, and now Parker to shoot the ball to their capabilities. We have to out score our defensive liabilities. I think Coach thought we would. Hell, he bet on it. I doubt he thought Jim would not just drop off shooting wise but literally fall off. I think he thought he could live with our inside game believing the 2nd half Okoro would be the one we’d have all year. I think he thought Oerkins would be back to the Perk of old sooner. So far all those 3 were misjudged. Honestly, I thought all the same things

I see what you are saying but yes you did misunderstand or maybe I was not clear - what I was trying to say was if we have to diagnose it for him then we are in trouble.

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

maybe simplistic, but some of ford's losses belonged to crews since that was the roster he inherited

Yes you could say that but Crews got the cream.  But you could also say that RM got losses from the team Sodie left so the merry go around goes on and on.  

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

I see what you are saying but yes you did misunderstand or maybe I was not clear - what I was trying to say was if we have to diagnose it for him then we are in trouble.

I guess my point is we can’t diagnose it for him, as anything we have figured out, he already has. So the “if” had as much chance of happening as an Alien spaceship dropping a rhinoceros on your roof tonight.

44 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU is 6-1 in the A10, currently tied with a flawed and beatable VCU team for First Place in the A10, one game ahead of 5-2 Dayton. With a NET (BTM- Power 5 Bid Transference Metric) of 87, SLU at this point must still win the A10 Tourney to dance. But winning the A10 Tourney is doable for this SLU team, which has as good of a shot as anyone else to win it. Dayton has a long history of laying eggs in the A10 Tourney. 

Finish in the Top 4, hopefully 1st, and let’s all give hope a chance. 

I don't disagree but after all the years Ford has been here we should always find ourselves in the situation.

48 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Yes you could say that but Crews got the cream.  But you could also say that RM got losses from the team Sodie left so the merry go around goes on and on.  

You’re making a fool of yourself. You want it both ways. Yes RM was a good coach but to say someone who actually has a better record is TERRIBLE, is ludicrous… it’s sad that you haters won’t even allow the season to be played out before passing judgment. Here however are some facts. Travis Ford has won 60% of the games as the Billikens head coach. He has recruited better and more consistently than any coach they’ve had in the past 50 years. He has a strong relationship with the current AD and our most generous booster. He has represented the university in an admirable way and is well respected in the community. Travis has actually built a program and is in a great position to take it to even a higher level with the proper support. 

6 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You’re making a fool of yourself. You want it both ways. Yes RM was a good coach but to say someone who actually has a better record is TERRIBLE, is ludicrous… it’s sad that you haters won’t even allow the season to be played out before passing judgment. Here however are some facts. Travis Ford has won 60% of the games as the Billikens head coach. He has recruited better and more consistently than any coach they’ve had in the past 50 years. He has a strong relationship with the current AD and our most generous booster. He has represented the university in an admirable way and is well respected in the community. Travis has actually built a program and is in a great position to take it to even a higher level with the proper support. 

When you get away from the emotion of a game-day thread and balance it all out, this is the correct take.

"Travis has actually built a program and is in a great position to take it to even a higher level with the proper support."  

I haven't taken a position on this debate, but I found this comment particularly interesting.  What is the "proper support" you think Coach Ford needs to take the program to the next level that he currently doesn't have?

dlarry and SluSignGuy like this

10 minutes ago, Wendelprof said:

"Travis has actually built a program and is in a great position to take it to even a higher level with the proper support."  

I haven't taken a position on this debate, but I found this comment particularly interesting.  What is the "proper support" you think Coach Ford needs to take the program to the next level that he currently doesn't have?

For starters, stop the nonsense that a surprisingly large number have gotten behind that Ford needs to be fired.🙄

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I don't disagree but after all the years Ford has been here we should always find ourselves in the situation.

The overriding issue remains the conference affiliation, which provides slim margin for non-conference error, with no better, feasible and available alternative available, and the continued skewing to the Power 5 of the metric used in determining NCAA At Large bids. More specifically, similar schools like Marquette, Creighton, Xavier do not face this no margin for error scenario in the Big East. They do not have to be near perfect. Creighton (11-8, 5-3) lost 6 consecutive games, lost 8 of 11, yet has a NET of 19. That is patently absurd. 

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The overriding issue remains the conference affiliation, which provides slim margin for non-conference error, with no better, feasible and available alternative available, and the continued skewing to the Power 5 of the metric used in determining NCAA At Large bids. More specifically, similar schools like Marquette, Creighton, Xavier do not face this no margin for error scenario in the Big East. They do not have to be near perfect. Creighton (11-8, 5-3) lost 6 consecutive games, lost 8 of 11, yet has a NET of 19. That is patently absurd. 

I understand but then that is all the more reason that we should be winning the conference but we are not and find ourselves in this situation.  If we were good enough to win the regular season consistently and not simply hoping to be in the top four it would be a 2 bid league perhaps.

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Bottom line is all my posts have never called for Ford's firing.  All I have said is that he has not been consistent in elevating us.  I am sorry that you always have to make it personal.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

When you get away from the emotion of a game-day thread and balance it all out, this is the correct take.

My post has nothing to do with the game day thread.  I only posted on that thread because that is where the topic was being broached.  I have been consistent with my expectations or lack of expectations being met.  

29 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I understand but then that is all the more reason that we should be winning the conference but we are not and find ourselves in this situation.  If we were good enough to win the regular season consistently and not simply hoping to be in the top four it would be a 2 bid league perhaps.

I fear that this (2 bid minimum for the A10) is no longer the case, not the way the NCAA has again tweaked the metric it uses. Those NCAA units are golden, estimated to be worth almost $339K in ‘22, with anywhere from 2 to 4 at large bids projected for transfer to the Power 5 this season, and even more specifically to the Big 12 and Big Ten. What is SLU supposed to do?  SLU has to be near perfect. Realistically is being near perfect even possible? There are human factors involved. 

39 minutes ago, Wendelprof said:

I think we would all be aware of some of the administrative decisions that have derailed our program over the years..

17 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

My post has nothing to do with the game day thread.  I only posted on that thread because that is where the topic was being broached.  I have been consistent with my expectations or lack of expectations being met.  

I wasn’t referring to posts you may have made on a game thread. I was saying that when the emotion of losses or poor play settle out, my opinion is that Ford will get a chance to see what the Champions Center will do for recruiting and program development. IMO, he’ll be here at least three more years so we’ll just have to settle in for the ride.

3 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Coach Randy Albrecht was also among the Alumni group.

Kind of disappointing Legend did not walk with the rest of the fellows.  I believe he’s been to every game this year.  He was there yesterday. The applause would have been raucous.

Unfortunately, the worm has turned.  NIL has taken over.  It's pay-for-play in the wild, wild West of college sports now.  This will be a big lament for us, Butler, Xavier, Marquette and dare I say even Villanova.  We don't have the big collectives that back the sports like Kansas, Oregon, Alabama, Texas A& M, Florida and so on.  Even reliance on the transfer portal will be suspect ---- those kids will come calling with their hands out as well.  The days of Travis seeling a kid on the school, the arena, the Center, the education or even himself as a players' coach will be replaced by Jerry Maguire ---- show me the money.

What would we pay for a kid like Thames, Cisse, Kramer or even Forrester?  I don't know how to quantify that.