GDT: La Salle; Why didn’t Han Solo enjoy his steak dinner?

SluSignGuy

6 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I would be much more patient and understanding during a rebuild season than I am during an underachieving season.

Look, I get why people want to keep Ford around I get wanting to move on from Ford.

What I don’t get is thinking that either of these opinions are crazy or makes you less of a fan.

To not admit Ford has done good things is wrong.

To not think his seat should be getting warm is just as wrong. 

This board needs to start doing All-Message Board Teams. Nominating dlarry and brianstl for All-Reasonable Team.

rgbilliken and BILLS324 like this

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Out of good posts for the day.  (Steve's server must be in Fiji because they reset at weird times)  The Ford situation is kind of like Soderberg's although Travis has done more than Brad.  Is there a Majerus waiting in the wings?  If so lets go.  Show me something better and I may go for it......

My only fear about letting Ford go is the thought that the AD could likely mess up the next hire. Then again, SLU has a knack for replacing coaches that can’t get over the hump with all time greats. Grawer to Spoon, Soderberg to Majerus for example. 

1 minute ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

My only fear about letting Ford go is the thought that the AD could likely mess up the next hire. Then again, SLU has a knack for replacing coaches that can’t get over the hump with all time greats. Grawer to Spoon, Soderberg to Majerus for example. 

I don't know.  I can't find too much fault with May's hiring.  Obviously a lateral move like Lo Romar or much worse is a possibility and I'm not ready to make that gamble yet.......

32 minutes ago, BC1764 said:

Ever heard of the transfer portal and NIL ?

a coach fired, existing players leaving.   new coach hired likely on the cheap.   what makes you think high quality players are going to transfer in with ease?   

if you think we will hire the next john wooden and our NiL treasure chest will be overflowing, and every player in the country will be dying to be a billiken in that scenario,  i got this bridge..........

im not saying at some point the patience to win is going to be gone and we will make a move.   i am saying there WILL be another 5 year rebuild starting from the bottom up again.   i am tired of rebuilds.  

12 hours ago, dlarry said:

Maybe if we are just a little nicer we will start getting top 50 recruits.

If message boards can keep players from committing I don’t see why they can’t help us land a few recruits. 

Serious question Larry, are you saying social media has no impact? If so there are a lot of so called smart individuals wasting a fortune.

3 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

You’re arguments are that of a small child…”well they’re doing it too…. You losers won’t even wait until the end of the year…think of it, they are 6–1 in the conference with 3 road wins and it’s nothing but incessant bitching… call yourself what you want, but you’re no fan of the university… 

Good stuff from the Message Board police and now self appointed decider of who is a fan and who isn't.  I'll continue to live in reality and you can feel free to ignore my messages because I'm not going to stop until Coach Ford wins a NCAA tournament game or is fired. 

billikenbill and Bizziken like this

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

a coach fired, existing players leaving.   new coach hired likely on the cheap.   what makes you think high quality players are going to transfer in with ease?   

if you think we will hire the next john wooden and our NiL treasure chest will be overflowing, and every player in the country will be dying to be a billiken in that scenario,  i got this bridge..........

im not saying at some point the patience to win is going to be gone and we will make a move.   i am saying there WILL be another 5 year rebuild starting from the bottom up again.   i am tired of rebuilds.  

I don't agree on 5 year rebuild.  That's not required anymore.  At some point a coach can build a team with chemistry.  You'd think in 25 years more than 1 team would have the ability to win in the Postseason (NIT not NCAA for TF).  You don't think Mack could attract some talent?

31 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

Out of good posts for the day.  (Steve's server must be in Fiji because they reset at weird times)  The Ford situation is kind of like Soderberg's although Travis has done more than Brad.  Is there a Majerus waiting in the wings?  If so lets go.  Show me something better and I may go for it......

Chris Beard?

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Roy we are paying our current coach as much or more than around half of the P6 programs.  He made $600,000 more than Hubert Davis did last season at UNC.  What would make anyone think they would go cheap when it come time to hire a new coach whenever that might be?

Littlebill likes this

18 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Serious question Larry, are you saying social media has no impact? If so there are a lot of so called smart individuals wasting a fortune.

Does social media have an impact on an athletes college choice? No I don’t think so. 
I think kids are aware that what they read on message boards or social media is such a small percentage of the fan base that it would be irresponsible to make a decision based on what they read on a fan message board. 
Just look at this board. Maybe 100 people post on here? That’s less than 1 percent of Billiken fans. 
They know this and I think they are smart enough to not let that drive an important choice.

brianstl likes this

10 minutes ago, wgstl said:

For those in favor of not even putting Ford on the hot seat, realistically, what do you need to see for him to go on the hot seat?

Show me the replacement coach.....I know that is not usually possible but you have to replace decent with better.   "Hot young  assistant coach" might be better but also might flame out pretty quick.  It's a hell of a gamble......

1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

Show me the replacement coach.....I know that is not usually possible but you have to replace decent with better.   "Hot young  assistant coach" might be better but also might flame out pretty quick.  It's a hell of a gamble......

Mack or his protégé Kelsey, who has Charleston in the top 25.

19 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I don't agree on 5 year rebuild.  That's not required anymore.  At some point a coach can build a team with chemistry.  You'd think in 25 years more than 1 team would have the ability to win in the Postseason (NIT not NCAA for TF).  You don't think Mack could attract some talent?

i dont think the BoT will pony up for the likes of mack.  

47 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

If you don’t think the AD can make a good hire, that says a lot more about his status than Travis himself. We’re at a time of change in college athletics, one where it is imperative to have a coach who can lead SLU into a sustained era of success. The coach next season should be the person the AD feels can best do that. There’s a lot to be said about the work Travis has done to get SLU to this point. SLU is consistently in the picture at the end of the season, but at some point NIT bids have to turn into NCAA bids, particularly at-large quality ones, for the program to be what a lot of the board feels it can be. 

edit: To clarify, I really like Travis as a representative of the university. He’s great on radio spots, has done a tremendous amount of fundraising for the department as a whole, and really seems to get what makes SLU special. The program he took over was an absolute mess, which he cleaned up admirably. I really wish some of the near misses over the years hadn’t happened, because this conversation wouldn’t be happening at all. 

brianstl likes this

17 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Roy we are paying our current coach as much or more than around half of the P6 programs.  He made $600,000 more than Hubert Davis did last season at UNC.  What would make anyone think they would go cheap when it come time to hire a new coach whenever that might be?

all the more reason the BoT wont do that again.  can we get a booster to keep shelling out the difference?  at some point a booster says, why am i doing this?

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

So this is .... unrealistic. Can any of you ford faithful give a realistic outlook of what would put him on the hot seat

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont think the BoT will pony up for the likes of mack.  

I think what we're paying TF would be enough.  Question is would a booster step up to pay TF his remaining salary?  I don't think so.  But I've been surprised before. 

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Mark Turgeon will be out there, too. That said, this season isn’t over and we are tending in the right direction.  We dug a hole, but Travis deserves the chance to get us out of it.  

Yep.  He will have his chances, does it look very, very slim.... I'd say so.

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Maybe you're tired of them, but some of us aren't. If this season or the next don't get turned around, then we may not have a choice but to find someone else.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

So this is .... unrealistic. Can any of you ford faithful give a realistic outlook of what would put him on the hot seat

Call his seat hot, warm, cold, whatever.  Nobody is happy watching the NCAA tournament without the Bills in it.  (I don't watch it much honestly.)  Obviously March without dancing  cannot go on forever but if we replace Travis with Funky Winkerbean and coach Winkerbean tanks it we've got years more of nothing.  Find a new coach, give it a go, and I'll probably defend him when the same lot of you want to fire him too........