GDT: George Mason; Why does Jesus get nervous when playing basketball?

SluSignGuy

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

100%

Ignoring the obvious flop attempt by the GMU player at contact to draw a charge, that is rarely called. Called a foul every time?! 

That is virtually never called. How many times a game does a big set a screen for the guard bringing the ball up and is run into? Remember the celebrated Conklin screen when the opposition plowed into him? There was no call on that play. It’s only called on the offensive player when they are moving. 

HenryB and cheeseman like this

It was a nice comeback win by the Bills tonight especially considering the adversity they faced. Normally, on a teams home court the zebras give the home team the benefit on calls that could go either way and we won in spite of them tonight. I watched the game on ESPN+ and when they spanned the crowd I did see what appeared to be many empty seats and what surprised me were the ones close to the court.

7 minutes ago, Schasz said:

It was a nice comeback win by the Bills tonight especially considering the adversity they faced. Normally, on a teams home court the zebras give the home team the benefit on calls that could go either way and we won in spite of them tonight. I watched the game on ESPN+ and when they spanned the crowd I did see what appeared to be many empty seats and what surprised me were the ones close to the court.

Why are people surprised at the crowd - no special give away unless you want to call the chip clip for the beef industry a give away, no special tix pricing for groups and I assume students are still on break given the skeleton group for the cheer squads.  GM does not have any real connection here so why would you get a bunch of walk ups sold.  

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

Glad you guys could sneak one out against those tough commodores! Thanks for stopping by and talking about this teeny tiny program, I’m sure it’s a waste of your big program time!

I’m sorry Yuri decided to be our best player instead of yours!

10 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

Yep, he went down right before he was touched lol.

Even if it was a charge, had the refs called a semi balanced game it wouldn't have been close enough for this play to matter. I counted 4 walks, and 4 loud slaps that weren't called on just my end alone. 

10 hours ago, White Pelican said:

I even said to the guy behind me that 5000 people saw Oduro travel except those three idiots. Had no idea I was only 200 short.

Oh the three idiots saw it.  Just decided they weren’t going to apply the rules the same way for both teams. Happened all night. 

52 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Even if it was a charge, had the refs called a semi balanced game it wouldn't have been close enough for this play to matter. I counted 4 walks, and 4 loud slaps that weren't called on just my end alone. 

Again, it’s not a charge, they had the ball. A foul is virtually never called when a defensive player runs into a screen. It happens multiple times every game. 

1 minute ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Again, it’s not a charge, they had the ball. A foul is virtually never called when a defensive player runs into a screen. It happens multiple times every game. 

didn't say, and don't care. Point was Mason got away with so much that regardless of what it was, they should be happy it was ever that close. 

game-17-gmu-10-6-2-1-at-st-louis-10-6-2-

This was a designed play to get the ref to call a foul. This was their only hope to win the game. Run into the big man, right in front of the ref. The player is not looking to receive the inbound pass. The inbounder is running and looking the other way. There is a good photo on the homepage of Mason's forum.

4 minutes ago, zman said:

The player is not looking to receive the inbound pass. The inbounder is running and looking the other way.

I think that's a key distinction. If you level a guy who is trying to catch a pass, that's the unfair "advantage" another poster mentioned with regard to fouls. If you level a guy who is trying to get leveled, and isn't even attempting to catch a pass, that's just a desperate ploy.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

flop

I agree he went down easy, however, I don’t agree that he didn’t have time or space. He only needs time to stop or avoid the screen. Whether he sees it or recognizes it early enough is irrelevant. Imo he had time to avoid the contact, but I don’t think he knocked the guy down so no call. 

Someone mentioned that the guy wasn’t trying to catch a pass or anything. That’s also irrelevant. The screen is set to make space for a player either with or without the ball. The screen was legal. The only question for me was did the guy get knocked down or did he just go down. Hard to be 100% certain but I agree with the no call.