Jump to content

The Bills over Mem by 2


The Wiz
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

It is a lot more than a test of the teams, it is a test of the coaches as well. We can win as long as Ford takes over and LEADS the team. Take Yuri out the moment he starts dribbling slowly up the court and throwing rocks. Ford needs to keep the team going.

The only time Yuri starts dribbling slowly up the court is when the coaches ask him to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

One thing I failed to mention in the original report  that is important is about Franklin the ineligible Mem player I listed in the Injury and misc area. He was their leader in  scoring(17.8 pts) and rebounding (6.9 rebs)...4 Dou  Dou...started 26 games...10 games of 20+pts...season highs of 28pts and 14 rebs and 6 assists.

This is a significant loss for Mem.  They didn't need him against Vandy but his absence will be felt against The Bills.

Damaria Franklin wasn't Memphis's leading scorer or rebounder.  He's a 6'4 guard who put up those numbers as a senior at Illinois-Chicago, who finished 8th in the Horizon.  He's jumping up a couple of levels.  Whenever he becomes eligible, Franklin should be a nice role player for Memphis.

The Wiz likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

The only time Yuri starts dribbling slowly up the court is when the coaches ask him to. 

Also, sometimes players just need to catch their breathe. If you exert a great effort on the defensive end for a long possession, it doesn't make sense to come sprinting back the other way if there is no clear opportunity to break - especially for a player who is usually going to play about 33-35 mpg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

It is a lot more than a test of the teams, it is a test of the coaches as well. We can win as long as Ford takes over and LEADS the team. Take Yuri out the moment he starts dribbling slowly up the court and throwing rocks. Ford needs to keep the team going.

It’s amazing that someone who admittedly knows very little about basketball feels the need to explain what the coach should do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Right. Quick question, has a Billiken ever had 13 assists and zero turnovers before the MSU game? People have lost all perspective on Collins. When he is gone from this program, you will feel the pain for a long time.

Just remember many, not just a few thought Yuri should have 3/1 or more ( some even 5/1) assist to turnover ratio. All you need to know regarding this board and Yuri. 

Fraz likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be sure and give Memphis PG Kendric Davis a warm welcome tomorrow night.

“I (watch film) a little bit. Not too much,” he said. “I just feel like, no disrespect, I’m a bad (expletive). I don’t need to really. I respect everybody. So, I don’t need to watch nobody to respect them less or respect them more. I just feel like I know what’s coming. I know they got a good guard in Collins – Yuri. But I feel like I’m good, too. So, I’m ready for that.”

Compton likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Be sure and give Memphis PG Kendric Davis a warm welcome tomorrow night.

“I (watch film) a little bit. Not too much,” he said. “I just feel like, no disrespect, I’m a bad (expletive). I don’t need to really. I respect everybody. So, I don’t need to watch nobody to respect them less or respect them more. I just feel like I know what’s coming. I know they got a good guard in Collins – Yuri. But I feel like I’m good, too. So, I’m ready for that.”

Really hope the students turn out for this one. They need to be all over this tool. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Really hope the students turn out for this one. They need to be all over this tool. 

I don't remember it before the basketball games, but I've been real annoyed by the warnings before soccer games about, basically, reminding everyone to be a pu$$y. "No heckling players, refs, or other fans." Bite me. That's what fans are for. There's a line that shouldn't be crossed, but we need to walk that line tomorrow night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I don't remember it before the basketball games, but I've been real annoyed by the warnings before soccer games about, basically, reminding everyone to be a pu$$y. "No heckling players, refs, or other fans." Bite me. That's what fans are for. There's a line that shouldn't be crossed, but we need to walk that line tomorrow night.

There’s also a big difference between the student section giving it to student athletes and adult fans doing it.  I’d argue that’s part of what a student section is for, as long as it’s nothing overly personal. 
 

As a grown man, I’m happy to direct my wrath towards the refs. 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

There’s also a big difference between the student section giving it to student athletes and adult fans doing it.  I’d argue that’s part of what a student section is for, as long as it’s nothing overly personal. 
 

As a grown man, I’m happy to direct my wrath towards the refs. 😅

Eh. Few people would bat an eye if a student athlete heckled adult fans, there's just a level of taste necessary when it's the other way around. IE this Kendric Davis cat. He came in talking sh!t, he should expect sh!t talked back. He deserves it. 

More importantly, we all know we shouldn't rely on the student section to bring the energy and enthusiasm. I hope they prove me wrong tomorrow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Eh. Few people would bat an eye if a student athlete heckled adult fans, there's just a level of taste necessary when it's the other way around. IE this Kendric Davis cat. He came in talking sh!t, he should expect sh!t talked back. He deserves it. 

More importantly, we all know we shouldn't rely on the student section to bring the energy and enthusiasm. I hope they prove me wrong tomorrow. 

hopefully we don't need to feed them pizza to get them there and more importantly to stay till the end of the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It’s amazing that someone who admittedly knows very little about basketball feels the need to explain what the coach should do. 

Do you want to see Ford leading SLU to a defeat by blind trust in what he does, or do you want to light a fire under Ford to keep things moving, and keep Yuri passing the ball to shooters and not trying to show what a great shooter he is (which he is not). I may not know as much basketball as you do. I also do not trust that this coach will keep the team moving when it is necessary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Eh. Few people would bat an eye if a student athlete heckled adult fans, there's just a level of taste necessary when it's the other way around. IE this Kendric Davis cat. He came in talking sh!t, he should expect sh!t talked back. He deserves it. 

More importantly, we all know we shouldn't rely on the student section to bring the energy and enthusiasm. I hope they prove me wrong tomorrow. 

I don't think what he said was that wild. Just has confidence in himself. He didn't really slight anybody. But ya I'll be giving the refs an ear full per usual lol. 

I just remember hearing some bozo yelling at Yuri/ slu players through the TV the entire George mason game (not 100% sure it was them). That stuff is weird in my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I don't think what he said was that wild. Just has confidence in himself. He didn't really slight anybody. But ya I'll be giving the refs an ear full per usual lol. 

I just remember hearing some bozo yelling at Yuri/ slu players through the TV the entire George mason game (not 100% sure it was them). That stuff is weird in my opinion. 

I don't disagree with that (bolded) but that doesn't mean I like it and it doesn't mean he shouldn't have to hear about it. The refs will certainly be hearing it lol we're on the same page there. 

As for yelling at players, again, it totally depends on the execution. I don't think expletives are necessary, the obvious exceptions of insults to race/sexuality/etc, but keep it all PG-PG13 and it's totally appropriate. It can most definitely affect their performance if fans are in their head.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s college. Let the kids have fun. Heckling, if humorous, is fun. I remember back in the late 70s NC State had a big man, Washburn I think, who had been suspended for a game because he stole some kid’s stereo and tapes. When he played against Duke a Cameron the fans threw tape cassettes on the floor during warmups. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, bauman said:

hopefully we don't need to feed them pizza to get them there and more importantly to stay till the end of the game.

I have no problem with offering free food. That's college sports everywhere unless you're blue blood or bumf*cknowhere town like Dayton. Even then I'm sure they do things to get them to the game. Do you think all those kids just showed up in powder blue tshirts for their game against SMU?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bauman said:

hopefully we don't need to feed them pizza to get them there and more importantly to stay till the end of the game.

Speaking of free pizza, what was up with all the free Papa Johns pizza they were handing out to fans near the Chaifetz Pavilion, during the Evansville game? Was that just a one time thing or are they going to be doing that throughout the season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Do you want to see Ford leading SLU to a defeat by blind trust in what he does, or do you want to light a fire under Ford to keep things moving, and keep Yuri passing the ball to shooters and not trying to show what a great shooter he is (which he is not). I may not know as much basketball as you do. I also do not trust that this coach will keep the team moving when it is necessary.

You’re probably right. I spoke with Coach Ford a couple of weeks ago and he said “Jim, do you know Old Guy on Billikens.com? If so please thank him. I really do a much better job of coaching when he keeps me on my toes.”

You keep that fire burning 

dennis_w likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

It’s college. Let the kids have fun. Heckling, if humorous, is fun. I remember back in the late 70s NC State had a big man, Washburn I think, who had been suspended for a game because he stole some kid’s stereo and tapes. When he played against Duke a Cameron the fans threw tape cassettes on the floor during warmups. 

I completely disagree with heckling refs or players. It’s something I’ve just never done. Sit quietly and be respectful 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...