The Bills over Mem by 2

The Wiz

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-according to Ticketmaster there are a bunch of seats available for tomorrow and center court 200 level are $50 per ticket plus fees

-from the seating chart my estimate is the top 4 rows of 14 sections are available in the $20, $25 and $50 prices

They are BOGO, so hopefully that helps sell these out.

42 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Speaking of free pizza, what was up with all the free Papa Johns pizza they were handing out to fans near the Chaifetz Pavilion, during the Evansville game? Was that just a one time thing or are they going to be doing that throughout the season?

The free pizza was for the students but since the student section wasnt packed they started giving the pizza away to all fans.  

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

There’s also a big difference between the student section giving it to student athletes and adult fans doing it.  I’d argue that’s part of what a student section is for, as long as it’s nothing overly personal. 

As a grown man, I’m happy to direct my wrath towards the refs. 😅

IMO it is fine for regular fans to heckle student athletes (especially in the age of NIL) as long as it isn't crude / offensive.  For sure avoid - race/ethnicity/appearance and talking about the player's family (special consideration if they have a family member who is/was also a student athlete).

Examples of what I deem acceptable:

1. Jordair Jett tapping his head after that Dayton player got dunked on then not immediately throwing the ball to Dayton & making them come get it.
  2. Vs St Bonaventure yelling things at the players about how Olean sucks, they should stick to riding snow mobiles, etc.
  3. I had seats near the court vs VCU when we sucked under Crews.  I heckled Treveon Graham by repeatedly yelling "Trayyyyyy-veeeeeeeee-on" whenever he had the ball.  (It didn't really work.  The game was close, but he torched us.)
  4. An opposing fan yelling that Theresa is better at basketball than Kevin Lisch (see special exception to family member rule above).

Usually refs deserve heckling and generally I'm good with more intense / less playful stuff directed toward them as long as it isn't totally over the top.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I completely disagree with heckling refs or players. It’s something I’ve just never done. Sit quietly and be respectful 

You don’t have to be quiet to be respectful. You can also yell and scream without directing it at anybody. 

That said I’m more in your boat when it comes to getting rowdy at games.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I completely disagree with heckling refs or players. It’s something I’ve just never done. Sit quietly and be respectful 

You would not like sitting next to my wife and I.

We give it to the refs for bad calls, over the top visiting team fans and coaches.

You can do all of that without profanity and disrespect.

31 minutes ago, CBFan said:

You can do all of that without profanity

You can, but it's certainly can be fun if you include it and get creative with it (not talking about F bombs)

Edited by BrettJollyComedyHour

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

You don’t have to be quiet to be respectful. You can also yell and scream without directing it at anybody. 

That said I’m more in your boat when it comes to getting rowdy at games.

It was really meant to be sarcasm for those that know me. Don’t usually condone blue font, but should have used it this time. However old age has mellowed me considerably 

JohnnyJumpUp and dlarry like this

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It was really meant to be sarcasm for those that know me. Don’t usually condone blue font, but should have used it this time. However old age has mellowed me considerably 

Lord sulfanskip, you are also old, I don't believe it you think like a youngster.

6 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

There’s also a big difference between the student section giving it to student athletes and adult fans doing it.  I’d argue that’s part of what a student section is for, as long as it’s nothing overly personal. 

As a grown man, I’m happy to direct my wrath towards the refs. 😅

Probably a good thing you were around for Corey Blount’s and Bobby Brandon’s trips to town.

In the Team Rankings scheme, we were ranked 41 before the Evansville game and won but did not go over the Vegas Line. Prior to the Memphis game tomorrow we are ranked 44. The Vegas Line for tomorrows game against Memphis is for a SLU win by 3 pts. This is very close to the Wiz's.

48 minutes ago, brianstl said:
49 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Probably a good thing you were around for Corey Blount’s and Bobby Brandon’s trips to town.

Don’t leave out Damon Flint, Danny Fortson, and the police horse puncher Art Long.  It was great to see SLU fans get after them.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1995/10/31/Horse-punching-case-starts-Wednesday/4495815115600/

brianstl likes this

Heckling college kids is O-D-D when a fan is no longer in college. Odd with a capital O. It’s part of the agreement when you walk across the stage at graduation. You give up the right to do that and not be looked at like you’re a psychopath.

Fans, refs, and coaches are fair game. I’m all about a good zing, but heckling specific players on a team is strange. Just weird. If for instance, a 30 year old read what Kendric Davis said (he’s one of the best players in the country, he deserves to be confident) and decides to talk tomorrow night, send that person to an insane asylum

8 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Heckling college kids is O-D-D when a fan is no longer in college. Odd with a capital O. It’s part of the agreement when you walk across the stage at graduation. You give up the right to do that and not be looked at like you’re a psychopath.

Fans, refs, and coaches are fair game. I’m all about a good zing, but heckling specific players on a team is strange. Just weird. If for instance, a 30 year old read what Kendric Davis said (he’s one of the best players in the country, he deserves to be confident) and decides to talk tomorrow night, send that person to an insane asylum

There were 2 40 + men Evansville fans heckling the student section because the students were heckling them.

My problem with the Evansville fans were that they were motioning the students to come over and get them acting like tough guys instead of giving back to them.

The 2 Evansville fans were over the top with their cheering for their team this earned the heckling.

The way I see it there adults and those are kids on their home court ignore them.

17 hours ago, slufanskip said:

You’re probably right. I spoke with Coach Ford a couple of weeks ago and he said “Jim, do you know Old Guy on Billikens.com? If so please thank him. I really do a much better job of coaching when he keeps me on my toes.”

You keep that fire burning 

Thank you sulfanskip and thank you coach Ford. I will keep the fire burning. Glad to be considered a positive influence where it counts.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

There were 2 40 + men Evansville fans heckling the student section because the students were heckling them.

My problem with the Evansville fans were that they were motioning the students to come over and get them acting like tough guys instead of giving back to them.

The 2 Evansville fans were over the top with their cheering for their team this earned the heckling.

The way I see it there adults and those are kids on their home court ignore them.

Were flicking off the crowd too. 

6 hours ago, CBFan said:

As long as it does not end like it does, not infrequently, in British soccer matches, all will be OK

Just now, slu72 said:

Based on what the broadcasts of our first 2 games the student section appears full and coming out loud and enthusiastic. Is this not the case? 

It was definitely more full for Murray State, but it was decent for Evansville. I expect it will be full tonight.