Jordan Nesbitt Theories

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Arkansas? Don't they have like 16-17 supposed scholarship players? S. Carolina needs players. 

Arkansas reaches out to every single player. 

18 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ya that seems like a great fit. I would of expected slightly higher levels of schools interested. 

Really?  Going to a third school in 3 years.  Did you watch his overall play last year?  He had flashes but nothing that screamed “man he would be an upgrade for a top 25 team”.   Jordan has a ton of talent.  But watching him play you could see he doesn’t want to follow a system he wants to play for Jordan.  That’s hard to coach.

I have watched basketball a long time; players come and go; some contribute beyond what was predicted; some never seem to get permission to play all out; and some are so athletic you dream their greatness will translate to team wins. If a player is new to a system it would seem good defense and passing to the open man will lead to group acceptance. We were not at Memphis. We were only watching him at SLU.  If JN is judged only by team and player stats he may have felt pressure to prove his game rather than do what is needed for a team win. I am not saying he did I am saying so many points, so many rebounds and coming off a 20 plus win team is all he has to sell. With Perkins gone we needed someone beside Jimmerson for opponents to guard and be careful of. I hope he comes back I would like Ford to have a dozen running shooters- the slow down games of Grawer, Majerus and others where it never seemed possible to get 59 points to win by one or two are not thrilling.

if JN can stay at SLU he should

On 4/12/2022 at 7:54 PM, slu72 said:

I’m with you, Bauman,  I see a Gordon and Bleidshied (?) situation developing here. Both highly rated and recruited guys who finished up in the backwoods of college hoops. 

Beidshied ended in a much worse outcome than that.

1 hour ago, Slowry said:

Really?  Going to a third school in 3 years.  Did you watch his overall play last year?  He had flashes but nothing that screamed “man he would be an upgrade for a top 25 team”.   Jordan has a ton of talent.  But watching him play you could see he doesn’t want to follow a system he wants to play for Jordan.  That’s hard to coach.

Yep I guess you're right. The shine has worn off I guess.  

5 hours ago, Slowry said:

Disagree.  Was too unselfish 

Zink, gabriel, Compton and 1 other like this

5 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

I have watched basketball a long time; players come and go; some contribute beyond what was predicted; some never seem to get permission to play all out; and some are so athletic you dream their greatness will translate to team wins. If a player is new to a system it would seem good defense and passing to the open man will lead to group acceptance. We were not at Memphis. We were only watching him at SLU.  If JN is judged only by team and player stats he may have felt pressure to prove his game rather than do what is needed for a team win. I am not saying he did I am saying so many points, so many rebounds and coming off a 20 plus win team is all he has to sell. With Perkins gone we needed someone beside Jimmerson for opponents to guard and be careful of. I hope he comes back I would like Ford to have a dozen running shooters- the slow down games of Grawer, Majerus and others where it never seemed possible to get 59 points to win by one or two are not thrilling.

if JN can stay at SLU he should

He gone, yo

Look, if he was playing hero ball and actually able to beat his man and score consistently while losing playing time for not playing hard on D or passing enough - that would be one thing...but the reality was that was not acclimated to the altitude of top 100 D1 competition. He did not have a good feel for the game. He regularly would look awkward trying to do too much and for as physically gifted as he was, he was often times the weakest link of the 5 on the floor for the Billikens.

We all had high hopes for Nesbitt. It didn't work out. That's on him. Hopefully he'll end up like Willie (minus the scumbag agent costing him 8 figures and domestic violence thing that ran him out of the league) and not like the others being mentioned.

Old guy likes this

27 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

He gone, yo

Look, if he was playing hero ball and actually able to beat his man and score consistently while losing playing time for not playing hard on D or passing enough - that would be one thing...but the reality was that was not acclimated to the altitude of top 100 D1 competition. He did not have a good feel for the game. He regularly would look awkward trying to do too much and for as physically gifted as he was, he was often times the weakest link of the 5 on the floor for the Billikens.

We all had high hopes for Nesbitt. It didn't work out. That's on him. Hopefully he'll end up like Willie (minus the scumbag agent costing him 8 figures and domestic violence thing that ran him out of the league) and not like the others being mentioned.

Rammer nailed it, Nesbitt needed to translate his athletic ability into productivity. 

6 minutes ago, Slowry said:

But watching him play you could see he doesn’t want to follow a system he wants to play for Jordan. 

This "Nesbitt was selfish" take is overblown. His defense was usually solid, and at times he got in the heads of opposing players. Sure, he could have made more of an effort to get rebounds. But I saw Isabell go full "me first" a whole lot more often than Nesbitt did. More often than not he made the next pass, moved it to Yuri or Gibby, instead of taking matters into his own hands.

He was 5th in Field Goal Attempts, between Okoro and Hargrove.

When he came back from Messphis we all got excited thinking we got a mini Legend. Of course, it didn’t go that way for us nor JNez. Legends usually come along only once in a lifetime. He had his moments, but he never had them consistently. I liked his D and energy. Never was crazy about his attitude when he was pulled. I get the feeling his getting the hook was a source of friction between he and Travis. He stayed a starter, but the yanks became more frequent. Tensions increased between the coach and the guy who thought he could be a one and done. I don’t think either he or Travis are losing any sleep over how this eventually played out, ie parting of the ways. Here’s hoping it was for the best for both parties. 

Old guy and bauman like this

47 minutes ago, slu72 said:

When he came back from Messphis we all got excited thinking we got a mini Legend. Of course, it didn’t go that way for us nor JNez. Legends usually come along only once in a lifetime. He had his moments, but he never had them consistently. I liked his D and energy. Never was crazy about his attitude when he was pulled. I get the feeling his getting the hook was a source of friction between he and Travis. He stayed a starter, but the yanks became more frequent. Tensions increased between the coach and the guy who thought he could be a one and done. I don’t think either he or Travis are losing any sleep over how this eventually played out, ie parting of the ways. Here’s hoping it was for the best for both parties. 

Not in as much detail as you have posted, but this is the way my thinking about how the relationship between Nesbitt and Ford went. This is too bad but cannot be fixed. I hope he finds a home he likes and likes him.

1 hour ago, Compton said:

This "Nesbitt was selfish" take is overblown. His defense was usually solid, and at times he got in the heads of opposing players. Sure, he could have made more of an effort to get rebounds. But I saw Isabell go full "me first" a whole lot more often than Nesbitt did. More often than not he made the next pass, moved it to Yuri or Gibby, instead of taking matters into his own hands.

He was 5th in Field Goal Attempts, between Okoro and Hargrove.

Yeah, I never saw him as selfish either. He would have some questionable shot attempts at times but he seemed to make the passes he was supposed to and mostly ran within the offense. Personally, I didn’t think he got enough shots/plays ran for him.